Bought an 026, Runs good but cuts out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
when you set it in some wood and push on it. I did it at WOT and at idle. It is like the fuel line is getting pinched or something.

If I don't engage the AV by pushing the bar up, the saw idles and revs great in any position. Once there is any upward pressure on the bar it cuts out. Any thoughts as to the cause?

I'll post some pics. Paid $100 for it.

Serial number is 257061XXX

Thanks,
Tim

Well I had the saw somewhat apart today looking at the carb, fuel lines, and trying to see if the intake boot was torn. I didn't see any tears or cracks in the intake boot and the fuel lines seemed pliable.

I cleaned her up, put her back together and gave her some fresh gas and a new spark plug. She fired right up. So I sharpened the chain and gave her a go in some wood. She DIDN'T die. I ran her for about ten minutes and everything seemed in working order. She runs great! Not sure what I did, but am happy she runs and doesn't cut out.
Tim

just might of been a lose part, and when you put it together it fixed the problem

You might want to take a look at your muffler. If I'm seeing it right, the spark arrestor mesh in it looks pretty clogged up to me.

You might want to take a look at your muffler. If I'm seeing it right, the spark arrestor mesh in it looks pretty clogged up to me.

+1 it does look really clogged up.
You would also be surprised what ills a new plug can cure.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the saw in the pics look like an MS 026?

What I mean is, the saw has newer style flip up fuel caps along with a newer style air filter cover, but has an old style 026 cylinder cover. I think your saw is an MS260 with an 026 cover used as a replacement. Not sure if looks matter to you, but your saw is probably newer than you think... and if looks do matter, ebay has a ga-zillion MS260 parts for sale. You could probably find a true MS260 cover for cheap.

Ask someone on here if they can look up the serial number for you so you know the exact age of your saw.

Thanks for pointing out the muffler. I'll take a look at the spark arrestor and clean it out. I'm not worried about the looks and don't mind if it has an older 026 cylinder cover.
Thanks,
Tim

Latest posts

Back