Bought me a new MS180 going to make it work Hard ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gensetsteve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I process about 40 + tonnes of fire wood a year. 95% beech it comes in 2-3 metre lengths about 60mm through to 450mm . I have a Hakki pilki processor. I bought the little saw cos it was cheap and i am sick of hauling a Stihl 039 about especially at the end of the day. If you touch dirt with the bigger saw the time to resharpen and cost to replace the chain if you hit a nail are a pain. The 180 may not be as durable but how many days work do i need to recover £135. The saw for its size and weight is making better progress than the bigger saw. When it gets a bit loose I will stick it on ebay for £75 and buy another. Am i mad, will it last the week.

I don't know. You'll have to let us know! I'm sure it will last some time, I'm sure either way it will be a learning experience, Good luck pal!!

Cutting that much and that large of wood, I think it will be quite an education!!!
I think by the end of the first week you will be more tired than if you had run the 039!!!

I got a 180......I love little Bubba....:chainsaw: ..... I use him for limbing mostly. You generally get what you pay for in the chainsaw world. I have a feeling you are expecting too much from this little powerhouse bargain .....
237_texas_chainsaw_massacre.gif
You will more than likey get sick of constantly filling it with oil and fuel every 20 minutes or so. Good luck thou....... Hope it works out for you :cheers:

I process about 40 + tonnes of fire wood a year. 95% beech it comes in 2-3 metre lengths about 60mm through to 450mm . I have a Hakki pilki processor. I bought the little saw cos it was cheap and i am sick of hauling a Stihl 039 about especially at the end of the day. If you touch dirt with the bigger saw the time to resharpen and cost to replace the chain if you hit a nail are a pain. The 180 may not be as durable but how many days work do i need to recover £135. The saw for its size and weight is making better progress than the bigger saw. When it gets a bit loose I will stick it 80on ebay for £75 and buy another. Am i mad, will it last the week.

:censored: :taped:

A firewood pro using a 390 and a 180............:help: :Eye: :Eye:

Last edited:
:censored: :taped:

A firewood pro using a 390 and a 180............:help: :Eye: :Eye:

So what are you saying a pro has to use a pro saw, but all these home owning 4 cord firewood cutters are using pro saws. Boy that does seems strange now that I think of it.......

Your production will be cut in half waiting for that turd to cut through anything, unless you run one in each hand....

I got an 018. I also call it my landscape saw. Doesn't do half bad on u-bush roots!

Thanks for the replies so far
I would not be as bold to say proffessional . More a paying hobby I sell it to the local area from a tipping trailer a metre or so a time.
The point about filling it every 20 minutes is a good one never considered that.
The saw has enough power for what we do (even if its a turd ) we are just cutting 10" logs to length so they can be lifted on to the processor. If it packs up what would everyone advise. I would like to keep the weight under 4.8kg small bar say 14" as space can be tight

we have a 180 here, (i hate it, personal opinion), yes its light, yes its cheap but its slow to cut lots of wood with,

Im not knocking the saw as they are reasonable considering the price (although we keep having issues with the oiler when used for felling ie it stops working when the saw is used on its side a lot) but i would have thought if your processing 40+ tonnes something a bit more substaintial like a 260 or 280 would have been better?

where are you based?

we have a 180 here, (i hate it, personal opinion), yes its light, yes its cheap but its slow to cut lots of wood with,

Im not knocking the saw as they are reasonable considering the price (although we keep having issues with the oiler when used for felling ie it stops working when the saw is used on its side a lot) but i would have thought if your processing 40+ tonnes something a bit more substaintial like a 260 or 280 would have been better?

where are you based?

We are in Andover Hampshire. I dont fell trees at all we buy it in 17 tonnes at a time cut to about 2-3metre Lengths.

sounds like if your just cutting 10" diameter lengths for a firewood processor it will probably do ok then! i just find after using my 340husky that the 180 seems a bit slow, but its half the price of the 340!

i will be keen to see how you get on with the saw on lots of cross cutting, keep plenty of spare chains in so you dont have to stop and sharpen during the day and at about £6 a go its not going to hurt to have several in stock

I used to do summer work on a farm near Andover! random useless fact of the day there, i think the villages were called redenham and amport?

I was using a 180 for 3 days last week but all we were cutting was Gorse, Broom and The odd branch, The only reason was we were clearing a stone built wall, So i was saving my own chains!!!! I will say it was fun but it really dosnt hold much fuel! But not really a problem when cutting nothing thicker than 3"
The 025 will cut over twice as fast in 10" and the 036 twice that!
I really wouldnt like to cut 10" with a 180 all day I bet you would be more tired than using the bigger saws

the 180 will cut all you throw at it...

slowly...

for a while at least...

im assuming you only cut each log two or three times max to get it into the processor... and that cutting the logs with a chainsaw is only a small part of your actuall firewood process.

so as long as you dont expect much other than low weight from the saw it should do you fine for a couple of years. keep your chain sharp and keep it well serviced, and throw it on ebay as soon as it gives you any troubles that might effect your wallet.

personally though i'd want a 50cc pro saw, just for speed and reliability, without being over the top on weight...

and it just so happens i could sort you out with a year old husky 353 at a very reasonable price... ;)

the 180 will cut all you throw at it...

slowly...

for a while at least...

im assuming you only cut each log two or three times max to get it into the processor... and that cutting the logs with a chainsaw is only a small part of your actuall firewood process.

so as long as you dont expect much other than low weight from the saw it should do you fine for a couple of years. keep your chain sharp and keep it well serviced, and throw it on ebay as soon as it gives you any troubles that might effect your wallet.

personally though i'd want a 50cc pro saw, just for speed and reliability, without being over the top on weight...

and it just so happens i could sort you out with a year old husky 353 at a very reasonable price... ;)

Tell me more about the husky perhaps you could pm me save going to much off topic

I had a 51 which I liked but I think I leaned it out too much and it scored the bore. I could do with more power but dont want to much weight. my husky is on ebay this week. I dont think the 51 was a pro saw but it did us well for ten years.

sounds like if your just cutting 10" diameter lengths for a firewood processor it will probably do ok then! i just find after using my 340husky that the 180 seems a bit slow, but its half the price of the 340!

i will be keen to see how you get on with the saw on lots of cross cutting, keep plenty of spare chains in so you dont have to stop and sharpen during the day and at about £6 a go its not going to hurt to have several in stock

I used to do summer work on a farm near Andover! random useless fact of the day there, i think the villages were called redenham and amport?

Amport is just up the road. If the saw turns out to be too small i will need to get someone to help me and send them on a course. When they start I will give them that little saw with cheap chains to get some experience.

We tend to cut what we can get to then process for 45mins before uncovering fresh timber from the stack. so a small light easy to start saw is ideal it probably only runs for ten minutes in every hour

Back