Got The Better Of Me, Bought An SX72

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattCrowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well i have always taken two saws bush with me and they have never been more than 2 year old's always been 044/6/460 and 066/660's but recently when browsing for a set of 20" chains on ebay i bought a baumer-ag 72cc job for just under 200$.

My idea was to run it lean and mean and throw it away the minute it gave me the sh1ts, 20 odd metres of dry peppermint later its still going like a train.

Compared to the 460 and i don't have scales bigger than the ones the missus uses for cooking, so one in each hand classic Da'Vinci style, they weigh about the same.

Power, and i only have a forearm Dyno, i would guess the 460 has about one more horse in its stable. I only ever run a 20" bar on my 70cc Stihl saws though and the SX has a 24" so i took this into account when making this estimation, its Noticeable but by no means intolerable.

Fuel consumption, the Chinese job seems to drink a little bit more, but i haven't done a proper measure, just experience tells me i think i'm heading for the drum more often.

On the body, since solely using the SX72 for the purposes of destruction i have been coming home with a stiff right elbow, never noticed that with the 460, maybe its because i am treating the SX like i stole it, maybe the AV on the Stihl is better sorted, maybe because i'm an old man i am worn out, but more likely a combination of all three.

I will get some comparison pics up, and i want to try and make a video of the two saws in wood, If i had MS880 man down here i could just put one in each of his hands and film it, but being a little more concerned for my limbs than he is, i will have to drag my old man out of retirement to do this.

Anyway, as un-interesting as this may be for some/most of you, i will keep you updated until she goes bang.

That's good Matt.

The backup is OK on those saws, a mate bought a brace of them to onsell and he had a few problems (mostly carby IIRC) which were promptly replaced by the importer, but he's stuck to his Husky's since.

That's good Matt.

The backup is OK on those saws, a mate bought a brace of them to onsell and he had a few problems (mostly carby IIRC) which were promptly replaced by the importer, but he's stuck to his Husky's since.

Yeah, i am by no means gonna shelf the Stihls in favour of these things, i'm just keen to give it a workout and see how long it lasts. Actually been looking in Husky's direction for my next purchace, Pretty hard to beat deals.

Latest posts

Back