Bow Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are designed to make saw pinch less of a factor. Bow bars used to be popular with pulpwood cutters in the South. Unskilled cutters could just put the chain to the wood without determining which way a log was"loaded" (meaning tension/compression stresses). The broad nose could be used for brushing out. (And I think Mike is right-they suck to actually use)

In 1963,when is was 15 yrs old,myself ,and my cousin cut the osage orange,on my grandmothers farm.The McCulloch 250's were relatively new on the market.A local repair shop/saw shop ,sold grandma the saw,and threw in the bow bar,along with the regular bar.It was neat to use,but you had to be careful of the kickback.Just plunge it right through those 6 to 8 inch trees,that were being cut for fence posts.I have a 250,with a bow,but I don't have it dressed nicely,yet.

Some South Zone crews use them in the Southwest, they are okay for cutting nothing but brush. I've seen sawyers who could put some line in with them. 0 kickback, obviously cant fall tinmber with them, but thats not what they were made for. :blob5:

I'm pretty sure they were discontinued due to kick-back concerns. I don't think they are manufactured for use anywhere in the US anymore. The old timers (45 plus) refered to them as manglers, leg choppers..and etc. You get my drift.

Baileys still has them for sale, around $110 or so.
They're still made, just not as common as they once were apparently.

DirtTroll said:
The old timers (45 plus) refered to them as manglers, leg choppers..and etc. You get my drift.

Gee thank you for calling anyone over 45 an old timer, including me.

Can't wait until I officially hit 65, I should be called dead by then. :blob2:

That makes sense, they must give out a hell of a kickback; the upper quadrant of the bar's nose is at least six inches long...!!!

i saw these pulp wooders as an kid.. almost all were big stout men..
the oldest chainsaw repairman in this area,told me ,they just cut the tree,
most way thru,then leaned into the tree ,using the bow bar for leverage..
never saw it done ,but this fella use to fix their saws..i would suspect
like in many types of work,of the day.. getting injured was a problem that
was common enuff. somebody else just stepped up .. glad to get the work..

no kickback guys, the ears on the outside of the radius are used as dogs, they were used for cutting brush because it eliminated the kickback which occurs when using your tip for brushing line. As I said I've seen them used with some success.

Latest posts

Back