bow saws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpowell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how many of you guys that are serious firewood cutters use a bow saw? my father and i cut a lot of firewood, and i must say that there is definitely a place in your chainsaw lineup for a bow saw. when you get trees and limbs down on the ground, it is so much easier to cut them up with a bow saw, rather than a straight blade. i know you cannot buy a bow these days, and probably a lot of you have never ran one. just wondering if anyone else does?

well i haven't ever ran one and would love to see one ran so maybe some video? I have a old mac with a big bow blade on it and am thinking about getting it running just don't know if it is worth the effort. I cut lots and lots of firewood. Around 150 cords a year. And have been wondering a bow saw for awhile.

Those saws seemed real attractive when they came around in the 60s when I had the joy of graduating from a misery whip to a power saw.

I ran one on a saw with a rotating carb attached to the back handle for a couple hours, gave it back to the fellow trying to sell it, and never touched one again.

Some people may like them, I don't. Seems like the whole geometry of the cutter was wrong. The original marketing was toward being able to push the saw ahead or sideways in small brush claiming the bar loop would accumulate the brush and you could just pull it back sort of prebundled. I never met anybody who could.

I have a few and being semi-tall (6' 1") they can save the back when bucking logs on the ground. Given the small height of the bow, you get less pinching than you would with a straight bar. Here are a few of mine...

Poulan 8500:

Poulan8500007.jpg

Poulan 5200, 3400, 3400 and Pro 405 (from front to back):

Poulan3400bowsaw2007.jpg

Homelite C-7:

SuperXL925017.jpg

Homelite Super XL:

HomeliteSuperXLbow001.jpg

Echo 602 VL (with a Homie 150 in the background):

Echobowsaw001.jpg

McCulloch 640:

McCulloch640019.jpg

056 Stihl:

Stihl056005.jpg

Last edited:
I was in the firewood buisiness for 10 years,used a Poulan 3400 bow saw.been out of the buisiness for 15 years now and just recently resurected the old 3400 (rebuilt carb and replaced ignition coil)runs like new,i got tired of bending over,even just for my own firewood needs.I recently purchased a like new 3400 and 3700,carb kits and sprockets, and looking for parts saws and additional bows,I want to make sure i have a good saw for the rest of my life, i'M STOCKING up for the next 50 yrs.(hope i'm around that long) and can still pick up a saw,may have to pay someone to start it,lol. anyone who ever used a bow saw will have nothing else,i hear them referred to as clearing bars ocasionally,this is part of the reason they were outlawed,stupid people doing stupid things with a tool they have no experience with or knowledge of.I recently accuired a still 031AV bowsaw in good shape (needs a carb kit) if anyone would be interested i would trade this complete saw for a like new poulan bow bar.

Whew, had me worried for a second. I read the title and thought you were talking about the manual bow saws like we used as kids in scouts. I sure as heck wasn't going to trade the stihls in for those things.

Whew, had me worried for a second. I read the title and thought you were talking about the manual bow saws like we used as kids in scouts. I sure as heck wasn't going to trade the stihls in for those things.

Like these? :hmm3grin2orange:

Yardsalesaws007.jpg

Or these more modern ones?

Yardsalesaws008.jpg

Even have some of these:

Yardsalesaws004.jpg

I used one back in the late 70s'. They were very popular with the pulp-wooders in the southeast.

My first two saws (Poulan 245A, 3400) both came with bows. But I changed to regular bars.

Were great for bucking logs on the ground!

FYI - Everything I have read about Bow Saws says they are extremely dangerous and they should not be used.

From the following link...

["...In January 1977, Rodney Nicholas purchased a bow-blade chain saw from a local retailer. Homelite manufactured the engine housing and authorized the use of a bow blade manufactured by Lynwood. Mr. Nicholas was killed almost instantly on March 20, 1982 when, as he was cutting cypress, the saw kicked back into his neck. His widow brought suit for wrongful death against Homelite in state district court, alleging that the chain saw was defective and that Homelite was negligent. Homelite removed to federal court on the basis of diversity of citizenship.

At trial, plaintiff contended that the saw was defective in that it did not have a chain brake, an adequate chain guard, or a safety chain, and in that Homelite had failed to adequately warn Mr. Nicholas of the bow saw's kickback. In addition to arguing that the saw was not defective, Homelite contended that Mr. Nicholas assumed the risk of his accident and that he was contributorily negligent."]

More...
780 F.2d 1150

Same reason motorcycles that are designed to go 250+ mph should be outlawed,thousands of people have been killed almost instantly by these!!!!!!!!! Bowsaws are designed for bucking and because some idiot raised a bowsaw to (NECK) level i can no longer purchase a new bowsaw,GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!refer to WHY SOME PEOPLE SHOULDN'T USE A CHAINSAW in CHAINSAW forum. Same reason i can only buy safety chain locally.

Same reason motorcycles that are designed to go 250+ mph should be outlawed,thousands of people have been killed almost instantly by these!!!!!!!!! Bowsaws are designed for bucking and because some idiot raised a bowsaw to (NECK) level i can no longer purchase a new bowsaw,GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!refer to WHY SOME PEOPLE SHOULDN'T USE A CHAINSAW in CHAINSAW forum. Same reason i can only buy safety chain locally.

This is exactly what is wrong with our legal system. A man uses a product for 5+ years and then suddenly it is defective? Use of a chainsaw (and countless other activities) is dangerous. If you don't want to assume any risks then you should sit in your house and never leave.

I thought biodrive as well

I cut around five cords a year for five winters with a 30 inch sandvik bowsaw when I lived in Maine. Split what needed splitting with a light general purpose axe, wasn't even a maul.

I learned a LOT about felling, pinch points, straight cutting and sharp edges and getting down with hand splitting technique (technique beats grunt most of the time), doing all that by hand. Proly could still do it, just takes some time and yes you get some manly man arms out of the deal...

Now I did get a chainsaw then (a cox with a left hand bar, I related its demise here before...), but I strictly segregated my cutting, stuff cut with the chain saw was for sale, all my own stuff I did by hand.

Back then I never saw a gas bowsaw used, nor have I since then, no experience with them. I saw stihls, jonsereds and poulans mostly. I did see a gas reciprocating saw (guessing it was a Wright) but never in action. Old logger and mill owner had it, didn't like it much is what he said.

His skidder was an old war surplus tank! The turret was off so it was a convertible... that thing could drag some wood, tell ya whut....He used that for pulp, loaded the logs on a big what he called a "scoot" just a huge sled, with runners, no wheels. Ya, it left some ruts, but it was mostly used in hard winter with frozen ground...he left it abandoned one day when he stopped doing pulp and went to saw logs, really not far from a road, and told anyone they could have it if they could drag it out..no takers.

Same reason motorcycles that are designed to go 250+ mph should be outlawed,thousands of people have been killed almost instantly by these!!!!!!!!!

Where can I find one of these stock, 250mph motorcycles? I thought there was an agreement among manufacturers that they wouldn't make bikes that, stock, would top out faster than 186mph (300kph)?

Mike

I thought there was an agreement among manufacturers that they wouldn't make bikes that, stock, would top out faster than 186mph (300kph)?

Cars, and I assume bikes, are governed by the tires that can go on them. Y-rated tires max out at 300kph.

Companies like BMW govern their cars coming to the U.S. to match the maximum speed the factory tires are rated at, otherwise it just paints a big ol' bullseye to sue them.

FYI - Everything I have read about Bow Saws says they are extremely dangerous ...

So is J-walking, boating without wearing your life jacket, driving without buckling up, wearing jewelry and/or long sleeves while working on a car engine, attaching jumper cables to a battery, using any kind of metal tool without eye wear, smoking, filling the fuel tank of a hot saw or lawn mower, and calling your mother-in-law names... but...

Latest posts

Back