Box Elder Photos Finally :) Milled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully I will get a chance to mill it up tomorrow. Im gonna mill it about three inches thick by full length so that I will have a little room to straighten it up if need be. It should be really pretty once turned. As far as protecting it from the sun to preserve the "Red" I may try to dry it in the barn away from any direct sunlight. Thanks for the tip.

Dusty, wasn't necessarily saying you should protect it from the Sun when stickering and drying, I don't think you're going to keep it from fading that way. Was just commenting that folks who have made things from the wood have had that nice beet red color change to a dull reddish brown over time. Almost all wood changes color to a degree over time though. Cherry turns dark... pine often darkens a bit. Nature of the beast. Mineral stained wood also fades over time. Tulip poplar often has beautiful blue and green stained heartwood sometimes mixed with black streaks. Looks great when run through the planer and oiled and waxed, but over time in the Sun usually fades to a sortof gray. Nature of the beast.

Burlhunter, I hope that you dont mind me adding to your thread but I had to take down 2 Elms and 2 Box Elders today that were blocking the satellite recievers reception (direct orders from the better half). I saved a 3ft and 6ft section of the Box Elder that I will mill up for rolling pin blanks. The end grain is awesome looking and I wanted to share some pictures of it with you guys. My son wanted me to include the picture of the firewood pile that he piled up so I threw it in there too. View attachment 73121

View attachment 73122

View attachment 73123

View attachment 73124

View attachment 73125

+1 SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!! Thanks for posting! NICE STUFF! I haven't come across any that beautiful yet! Post some pictures of it milled when you get a chance!!!! A+ box elder! Only thing is that woodshop is right....it will fade over time, you can get some color protector for the really amazing stuff (whole log lol) to make the color last a little longer.....but it will turn brown in a few years....still pretty though.

Sorry this took so long to reply, I've been away for awhile.

I went to belvedere to see my uncles property, a tornado went through his town, tons of trees everywhere, there are so many that they are being piled near the streets for people to take, I didnt have my mill with me though, I'm going back in a few days! I post some pictures if I can :)

Back