Box store top handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned the old Poulan 25s and Micros for over 30 years and never realized how dangerous they were...Only close call I had was cutting a spring loaded limb and it came at me. Can't believe it was the saw's fault though. I guess even if you're using a hacksaw you have to watch what you're doing.

Here's how I use mine, but nobody else should because it is EXTREMELY dangerous.
[video=youtube_share;baGl1w3EHeE]http://youtu.be/baGl1w3EHeE[/video]

A couple of members have contacted me and asked that I remove this video. They felt that the video showed very unsafe, unskilled saw handling and poor judgement on the part of the operator. I agree.

The way he handled that saw made a definite statement about the operator's knowledge, ability, experience, and safety awareness...or the complete lack thereof.

I'm going to leave the video up as an prime example of how not to use a saw. We're always preaching safety and the proper way to do things...this is a great instructional video of the other side of that coin.

Last edited:
We sell a large amount of top handle saws,......................but we asked first if they are a trained aborist or climber or a very expierenced operator, the majority of joe blows walking in off the street have no business running a top handle, we'll sell 15 Stihl top handles to 1 Echo, buy one in a box store and figure out who's going to work on it. After our Echo update this week I doubt if we service any that are not sold in our store or through another brick and mortar dealer, not big boxes.

We sell a large amount of top handle saws,......................but we asked first if they are a trained aborist or climber or a very expierenced operator, the majority of joe blows walking in off the street have no business running a top handle, we'll sell 15 Stihl top handles to 1 Echo, buy one in a box store and figure out who's going to work on it. After our Echo update this week I doubt if we service any that are not sold in our store or through another brick and mortar dealer, not big boxes.

Just a question here to clarify.
Echo doesn't want you to warranty these saws not purchased from your store or what are you saying?

im not talking about the Echos and Hitachi's but the poulans and homelites and craftsmans if not used for climbing then why bother getting a top handle why not just a small rear handle

Simple answer to all the previous. TWO HANDS ON THE SAW..ESPECIALLY ON THE GROUND YOU BIG DOOFUS! Top handle or rear handle...doesnt matter...be ready for kick back! This guy cutting these 1" limbs has his face directly in the path! Hope your wife & kids will be taken care of. Hey, at least he is wearing chaps!

im not talking about the Echos and Hitachi's but the poulans and homelites and craftsmans if not used for climbing then why bother getting a top handle why not just a small rear handle

physical size in tight areas. For me, thick overgrown bush where you can't even walk through it. Kinda have to climb around in it.

for others, needs to fit in ATV cargo box.

And yes, two hands on the saw whenever possible is the only way to work with any saw. The biggest advantage for me is not one handed cutting, it's one handed holding the saw while moving branches with the other hand; and being able to carry easily one handed while using the other hand to balance when moving through thick brush etc.

I will not say I have never cut one handed, cuz I have. But, I keep my body parts far away from where the saw could flip up into. I also do that with saws that aren't top handles. I think of it as healthy respect for the tool. I was going to say common sense, but maybe it's not so common

The thing that gets my blood going is when it inevitably gets suggested that nobody needs or should have a top handle. I know it wasn't said here, but it has in the past and it is the law in some countries. We let people kill themselves on high powered snowmachines and dirtbikes in the name of fun, but I shouldn;t use the best tool for the job because it's dangerous? Give me a break. I'll look after my own safety by using my tools safely.

Simple answer to all the previous. TWO HANDS ON THE SAW..ESPECIALLY ON THE GROUND YOU BIG DOOFUS! Top handle or rear handle...doesnt matter...be ready for kick back! This guy cutting these 1" limbs has his face directly in the path! Hope your wife & kids will be taken care of. Hey, at least he is wearing chaps!

I would change that to two hands on the saw, especially in a tree. I won't call anyone a doofus though

The thing that gets my blood going is when it inevitably gets suggested that nobody needs or should have a top handle. I know it wasn't said here, I'll look after my own safety by using my tools safely.

Lemme be the first then, if for no other reason than improving your circulation: Nobody other than an arborist needs or should have a top handle.

Lemme be the first then, if for no other reason than improving your circulation: Nobody other than an arborist needs or should have a top handle.

Top handle Poulans and Homelite Super 2s used to be about the only cheap saws you could buy around here when I first started using a saw. I didn't have the money to opt for a bigger rear handle saw like the Super XL. I did finally manage to get a Homelite 150 with a rear handle, it did balance a lot better but I rarely just use one hand on the saw anyway. I tried a Stihl 020T and it just didn't feel right with 2 hands on it, I think it was made for one hand operation.

Molon labe

I had to look it up. I figured it would go over the heads of a few of the other knuckle-draggers on this site too, so as a public service . . .

The phrase molon labe (Ancient Greek μολὼν λαβέ molṑn labé; reconstructed Ancient Greek pronunciation [molɔːn labé]; Modern Greek pronunciation [moˈlon laˈve]) means "Come and take". It is a classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.

Philbert

There's nuthin' quite like a relaxing laconic game of lawn darts after cutting a bunch of saplings one-handed with a top handle.

physical size in tight areas. For me, thick overgrown bush where you can't even walk through it. Kinda have to climb around in it.

for others, needs to fit in ATV cargo box.

that makes sense now i never thought of that because ive always had a truck bed when carrying saws but now that i think about it when i trim the privet hedge and vines and i have to climb around in it the 2300 is easier to use in the thick brush

I use mine for halving naughty rounds.

[video=youtube;U7X2mm25hxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7X2mm25hxI[/video]

I have actually sold all my running top handle saws as I can usually double my money on them and they are popular with the little kiddies and women.:clap:

This thread is really off topic a lot

Small, cheap, powerful for the size, and easy to use. Cut at your own risk. Poulan was on to a good thing with these chainsaws, because they are nose heavy 2 hands is standard, and for that reason and the better leverage they are safer than a modern top handle in about the same size / weight.

I think it's a perfect combo for a atv / camp saw.

Some years ago, Hydro One (Ontario) mandated 0200's instead of 0200T's for their crews.

Don't know exactly "why", but since their management didn't feel comfortable with their professionals using a top handled saw, mebbe Joe Public shouldn't be using one either. ...

The "management" will be a small handful of scurrying, suck-arssing, snake-pit dwelling, rulebook thumping toadies who spend their days desperately trying to justify their own existence in the company by pushing as much B.S. as possible onto everyone else. You'll find the "management" wouldn't know jack about chainsaws . You'll also find the people claiming that top-handle saws are dangerous are all people who have never even used one, or if they have, they've run it for a few minutes at the most.

Then a few minutes use is usually enough for them to royally claim full expertise and knowledge on the subject hohoho. As for the trashy plastic box-store tophandle saws, they're good-for-nothing nasty nasty JUNK with a capital J

There's nuthin' quite like a relaxing laconic game of lawn darts after cutting a bunch of saplings one-handed with a top handle.

I loved lawn darts! Although I still have a tip imbedded in my skull. But it was a great game! :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back