Br600 fan removal??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn022

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm fixing up a br 600 blower and need to know the procedure for removing the fan. It appears to have regular right hand thread. Correct? How do you keep the engine from turning over? I tried the rope trick but that didn't work with the 4 mix. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up by doing that. I'm guessing impact but wanted to check before going that route. Thanks

Thanks. I'm pretty sure its regular threads, but I 'm only looking at 1 thread. Is the fan, nut and washer all one piece or seperate pieces? It looks like one piece. I have a request in the beg for manuals thread but no luck yet.

I'm fixing up a br 600 blower and need to know the procedure for removing the fan. It appears to have regular right hand thread. Correct? How do you keep the engine from turning over? I tried the rope trick but that didn't work with the 4 mix. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up by doing that. I'm guessing impact but wanted to check before going that route. Thanks

You will need the correct size piston stop to remove that fanwheel. If the piston stop is too short or too long you will bust the top of the piston, need to have the correct size. That fanwheel will require a breaker bar and some steady hard pulling to ease it off, it takes about 90 lbs of torque to loosen it. The bolt is built into to the fanwheel. The impact wrench may sheer the flywheel key on the other side of the crank, not recomended, be better to get the piston stop and do it right..

Nice to see you posting. So the threads are right hand? I used some rope for a stop and the engine still turned over. It sounded like a spring unloading inside when it did. What is that going to cost me?:msp_scared: LOL. The flywheel is already off so would an impact be ok? Thanks

Nice to see you posting. So the threads are right hand? I used some rope for a stop and the engine still turned over. It sounded like a spring unloading inside when it did. What is that going to cost me?:msp_scared: LOL. The flywheel is already off so would an impact be ok? Thanks

Sounds like your rope just calapsed under the pressure. That fanwheel is very tight. Since you got the flywheel already off you can't hurt it. Using a impact on the fanwheel though still won't work untill you have steadied the crankshaft so it doesn't turn. You have something to hold the crankshaft in place. You can't hold the fanwheel since the bolt is built into it. Better run down to your dealer and borrow that piston stop, if you was near by I'd say bring it in and I would take off the fanwheel for ya in about 30 seconds. May ask your nearest dealer to do it for ya, surely won't cost much if anything since you got it ready to go...

I've always just made sure the piston was at BDC and filled the cylinder with starter rope. Then put a breaker bar on the fan and turn CCW. The last couple I did I removed the push rods so the valves stay in their seats when the piston is coming up (compressing the starter rope) so as not to possibly bend a valve. Never had a problem with this method.

Thanks guys. I got the fan off. It was tight for sure. I've been meaning to pick up a piston stop from the dealer along with a couple other small tools. Is there only one stop? I had the stihl tool catalog but lost it when my computer crashed.

Definatley going to need a manual to put this thing back together. Its the first 4 mix I've had apart.

Latest posts

Back