Branch On power lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic687

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We had a storm come through night before last and I guess it damaged one of my trees. I was grilling some chops and as I was walking away from the grill when I hear a branch breaking so, I got my phone and filmed it. My wife called 911, and soon the show started, we had power company trucks and fire trucks and the whole neighborhood out in the road. There has been some talk here about tree cutting and power lines, well here is an example of what could happen when a tree comes in contact with two phases of 14400 volt primary power, there are a couple good arc flashes at 55- 58 sec.IMG 0801 - YouTube

That should have blown a fuse... On another note, now you know how to light the new BBQ.

We had a similar event outside our house in the Halloween Snow Storm of 2011. Fire department came by, Asst. Chief says "Well, sooner or later, it will just burn through." Packed it up and left. Went on for about 2 hours, pretty neat though.

I've seen worse doing line clearence, but yeah it puts on a pretty good light show. I remember a few years ago a wire snapped and landed on a fence and some guy down the street touched the fence not knowing a wire was laying on it and died.

When you see that happening nearby it is wise to kill your main breaker. Spikes come through the line and it's also possible that two lines can contact each other and you may get some wild voltages. Keep in mind that sometimes the wires burn in half and can end up on the ground, hot.

Yeah I shut down the power and kept everyone back a good distance. One of the volunteer fireman lives across the free way 2 miles away and said he could hear the arc at his place. Power like this is nothing to mess with it will kill you before you even know it.

Last edited:
I read some where that 110 kills more people then any other voltage mostly becuase of the "it's only 110" attitude. To all all of the above comments I will add. Respect ALL electricity.

I read some where that 110 kills more people then any other voltage mostly becuase of the "it's only 110" attitude. To all all of the above comments I will add. Respect ALL electricity.

I am DIY in my house for everything except near the panel. Then I fork out the bucks for a pro.

Latest posts

Back