Brand new 460 Rancher barely runs. HELP????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just the 99.999999999999999% of the time we save the customer money over going to the box store, yet we get hit for being a STEALERSHIP. Box stores most everytime will end up costing more money except for the handful of "loss leader" items they have just to entice the people to go through their doors.

Well, to be fair, box stores in general get bashed about constantly here. We just dont have a slang term for them yet to use...although I have read such terms as Bloews, Home Despot, etc. We dont have a generic single word though.

Well, just to be certain, check the chain brake, and make sure the choke is pushed in. Don't hate on me, just maybe should just check the obvious first.

Try an exchange. I bought my 455 rancher from one of those stores and have no problems with it after much use over a years time, even with crappy gas.

I personally would be tempted to go the refund route and get and XP saw knowing what I know now.

Well, to be fair, box stores in general get bashed about constantly here. We just dont have a slang term for them yet to use...although I have read such terms as Bloews, Home Despot, etc. We dont have a generic single word though.

I thought "box store" was the slang term for them.

Last edited:
I guess you might have noticed dealers on here get a little sensitive to being called thieves for trying to make a living. You might want to reconsider those words next time. A lot of the good posts you have read while lurking for a year may have been from them. I know how much money it's saved me and time. Do you?

Keep in mind there was never a personal attack on any specific dealer. I'm sure there are a few good dealers that are members here and I have benefited from their posts. I have been to many dealerships. Auto(new and used), atv, tool, audio video, musical instrument, chainsaw, furniture, and the list goes on and on. Most seem to be dishonest to me. Yes there are a few good ones here and there but not the norm here in the greater Springfield area of Mass. This is a chainsaw forum not a knitting forum. Just thought chainsaw wielding men and women would have a little thicker skin and focus on the problem, my bro's 460 rancher, and less on my choice of humorous (to me) reference to crooked dealers. Hope the knitting knock doesn't offend any knitters out there. We are living in critical times hard to deal with so we all need to lighten up!!!!

I would say to return it and go to the dealer, but if he has store credit and gift certs and paid 100 bux, I can see why he would buy from lowes.
If he doesn't need anything else from lowes to use that money on, just exchange it for another.

FWPT- there are 2 dealers that have posted here that if I was in your shoes, I would attempt to make ammends with and use as my dealer given the situation. Both- top shelf guys.

Trust me if either was closer I would easily go there for my next saw purchase( 50-70 cc range). Finding a decent dealer has always been a problem for me. Maybe it's my sparkling personality that interferes with me getting a good price and good service. just kiddin.

Trust me if either was closer I would easily go there for my next saw purchase( 50-70 cc range). Finding a decent dealer has always been a problem for me. Maybe it's my sparkling personality that interferes with me getting a good price and good service. just kiddin.

You're not a vampire are you? :hmm3grin2orange:

Keep in mind there was never a personal attack on any specific dealer. I'm sure there are a few good dealers that are members here and I have benefited from their posts. I have been to many dealerships. Auto(new and used), atv, tool, audio video, musical instrument, chainsaw, furniture, and the list goes on and on. Most seem to be dishonest to me. Yes there are a few good ones here and there but not the norm here in the greater Springfield area of Mass. This is a chainsaw forum not a knitting forum. Just thought chainsaw wielding men and women would have a little thicker skin and focus on the problem, my bro's 460 rancher, and less on my choice of humorous (to me) reference to crooked dealers. Hope the knitting knock doesn't offend any knitters out there. We are living in critical times hard to deal with so we all need to lighten up!!!!

This just confirms that you really are a bit of a putz.

You threw out the offensive term, and when you got a little flack for it, it turns out that your own skin isn't as thick as you are suggesting that we should have. You say we need to toughen up and focus on your brother's problem, but then you take another shot with the comment about the "knitting knock"? You like to throw 'em, but then cry "Teacher, teacher, he's hitting me!" on the return volley.

So, whenever you're ready to grow up and "focus on your bro's saw", we'll be happy to help.

I thought "box store" was the slang term for them.

Ya, it is but it isnt snarky enough and it needs to be one word.

heh heh heh

With that said, living in atlanta a long time, I used to go to the first and second home depots all the time. They filled a big gap in home improvement, and it was an excellent biz idea.

If..this is just theoretical.... if I was going to buy a chainsaw there though, Id skip the huskies they offer and go to the echos, any size or price range.

Either one you are borked, or put it this way, chancing it, if you trust those factory limiter settings.

This just confirms that you really are a bit of a putz.

Really??? What's that saying bout sticks and stones?????? Once again chainsaw, focus, chainsaw!

I believe my bro is gonna exchange it for another 460 rancher. Thanks for ALL replies and helpful info. Greatly appreciated!

We call them Slowes and Home Cheapo round here

Last edited:
Really??? What's that saying bout sticks and stones?????? Once again chainsaw, focus, chainsaw!

I believe my bro is gonna exchange it for another 460 rancher. Thanks for ALL replies and helpful info. Greatly appreciated!

We call them Slowes and Home Cheapo round here

He's just gonna get home with another saw that hasn't been adjusted and is not going run properly. Hope the store isn't too far from his home. :msp_sneaky:

I had a husky 450 here a couple weeks ago, same symptoms as yours. I pulled the carb apart and everything looked good, gave it a good cleaning anyway and put it back together, same thing. It was the coil. Only the low speed pickup was working, timing wouldn't advance. It seemed to run ok at idle, but as soon as you gave it the gas, it just died. I think you have your answer anyway, take it back and get another one, or get a refund and go to a dealer.

He's just gonna get home with another saw that hasn't been adjusted and is not going run properly. Hope the store isn't too far from his home. :msp_sneaky:

I agree 100% Spike60. My father and I both recommended for him to get a saw from a local dealer that will tune the saw and show him how to run it as well. Only good thing is the big box store is almost a stone's throw away literally. Maybe 1/8 mile or so. Customer service said to bring saw with receipt to a husky dealer and they should honor the warranty or the store will exchange for another saw.:bang: Then the whole process stars over again.

Okay, maybe the box-store sale price for the saw is lower than the local dealers...but you get something at your dealer that's worth way more than that simple price difference...expert advice, factory trained service, factory parts, and a chance to build a working relationship and even a friendship.
Our local dealers have been great to your Bounty Hunter, I stated buying saws and parts a lotta years ago and decided it was the best way to go...and man, I have made some great friends in the process. They have saved me so much time and money just with the straight up advice and council that I don't mind paying any upcost for my saws and parts...overall I still am way ahead.

F.W.P T., your brother can do whatever he wants, but as he grows into the knowledge and wisdom of woodcutting, starting at the saw dealer is the way to go...
Just the way I See It :msp_thumbup:

I agree 100% Spike60. My father and I both recommended for him to get a saw from a local dealer that will tune the saw and show him how to run it as well. Only good thing is the big box store is almost a stone's throw away literally. Maybe 1/8 mile or so. Customer service said to bring saw with receipt to a husky dealer and they should honor the warranty or the store will exchange for another saw.:bang: Then the whole process stars over again.

They always say that; give you the "call somebody else" routine. But if it's just an adjustment problem, which I suspect, then it is NOT a warranty issue, it is a set up issue. Product set up is supposed to be done by the selling retailer. Of course, husky looks the other way in Lowes case as they are well aware that Lowes isn't going to set up anything for a customer. They have assembly guys that uncrate tractors and put gas grills together, but there's no one there to adjust a chainsaw. If you weren't so far away, I'd do it for you...........after breaking your balls a little. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back