Brand new Husky 450 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
husky450 pic1.JPG husky450 pic2.JPG husky450 pic3.JPG My firewood cutting partner called me over for a beer and for first starting of his shiny new orange.
So after running it for almost a full tank cutting small diameter wood to go easy on it, we noticed this groove that looks like got melted by muffler heat.
Except for that it felt and sounded normal.
Can't upload pics, will try again later.

If you got an idea... Will appreciate it!!
Thanks,

SA

The burn field is very narrow, not like even heat damage. Looks more like hitting the muffler while taking the cover off while still hot. There might also be a hole or bent area which directs some of the exhaust directly at one point.

I dislike that design/location for the muffler outlet - I'm glad I have no saws made that way. It sure looks like the cover made contact from the picture underneath. It's had to see how that could happen though as it looks like the brake handle would prevent the wood from pushing on the front edge of the cover. Unless maybe a stick got wedged in there?

Pretty common thing to happen. My 394 has a spot like that, the little rubber bumper to keep the plastic off the metal must have come off allowing them to get too close.
My dad's older '88 50 had that happen too so he pop riveted a piece of aluminum in to fully cover the muff. Real getto lookin' but it just reminds me of him when I see it like that.

Well,
Thank you all for replying!

7Sleeper,
feels to me like you've nailed it! The burn shape on the bottom of the cover matches the burned plastic mark on the top of the exhaust. Probably this is exactly what happened - lifting the back of the cover in a tilt that drives the front end into the hot metal.
Bummer, that, but it won't slow it down I guess.

MGoBlue,
Your Dad's idea seems solid! Maybe fold a bit of tin to float 2mm off the bottom of the cover if there's room for that. We'll see what will fit in there.

BBB -
The cover isn't warped, that's why it seemed strange, if the gases were expelled the wrong way, only a small contained area suffered the damage.

Ironworker -
Yep, we noticed that. Husky dealer said soccer balls in the exhaust are common and that it's no big problem as long as you can wedge them out with the scrench
and clean the residue with some mineral oil.
(-:

I'm off to bed, tomorrow it's early morning, gonna be hanging on ropes for 3 days on rope rescue practice - my thighs already ache just from the thought!

Thanks guys, you're a great bunch!

SA

MGoBlue,
Your Dad's idea seems solid! Maybe fold a bit of tin to float 2mm off the bottom of the cover if there's room for that. We'll see what will fit in there.

His plastic cover had a circular spot about 2-3" that melted and was totally missing, which is why he did the rivet job.
Here's a couple of the ol' 50

You can kinda see the cover fix.

Here's what my 394 cover looks like. It doesn't touch now so I leave it as is.

my 024 melted the top cover a little (bad exhaust gasket leaking up) and cut it back a little and rounder the corners a little and it looks good .....i had to do the same thing to the foot pad on the handle when i dropped it unloading it from the PU truck .....now it looks factory ...lol

Yeah but it looks kinda $h!tty.lol

large_l6PBoDY95OlhlYfCkTJrRQ3Ofir.jpg

You see a fat chick, I see a smokin hotty! :ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

Back