Brand new Logger! Start felling Monday!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again for all the great advice. I didn't eat due to tooth pain the entire day, including before we started. Just the powerade. Probably a big mistake.

As far as the dentures I have a very hot wife that is so vein that I will be wearing the teeth. They suck but don't fit too bad so far. Don't go with the cheapest dentist for relines. About all the dentures are made in a lab the same way but if a good dentist doesn't do the reline then they may be crooked. MIne are being relined today and i was told that i won't have as much pain but until I am healed being in the woods is A bad idea or I may be puking out teeth. Im ready to get back there. If anyone has a trade they want to make on a new 391 stihl under warranty for a 372 or 390 husky please let me know your offer. I want my 441 and a husky as well to work with in the woods.

IM excited to go back.

Hey guys. Logging saved my life. I was really hot but the Gatorade didn't make me throw up. About an hour after my last update and saying "blade" instead of "bar" my entire body took a turn for the worse.
I have had teeth issues for years. If I have a toothache I get it pulled. Then carry on with life. I had been having some tooth pain. On a scale of 1-10 it was a 3. NOTHING MAJOR!

Apparently the 95 degree steep hill climb cause me to bring that infection to the surface. I was in the ER Monday night. I was near Sepsis and had Bacterium and a lot of other big words I know nothing about.

Long story short I had 18 teeth pulled( all my front teeth, what I had left) and am being fit with instant dentures Friday. If I hadn't pushed my body to the max I would have never known. So in essence logging saved my life. If I had became Septic I think 37 percent of people die. I don't know. Doctors spouted all kinds of things off to me about how close so many things were to happen.

I apologized to the logger and let him know him and his company were not at fault and I thanked him for hiring me and told him I had many douchebag employees in my fishing business with excuses and quit on me and that was NOT the case. He understood and I have a job waiting for me the second I heal.

He is a really good guy.

Thanks all for your support over the last several days in preparing me. I expect to be back next week, but I will make sure I am ready first. The percoset makes me feel like logging tonight but I am sure I would just kill myself out there logging on drugs. HAHA

At least it sounds like you have a god employer... I wish you wouldn't have had to lose your teeth in the process, but it's better than your life. Hopefully you recover quickly and find that you really have a love for the woods. If I was on the coast, or in an area where there was logging, I would probably be doing it as I love being in the woods, running saws and having something to show for my efforts at the end of the day. God bless and here's to a speedy recovery!

popcorn.gif

Lemme have some of that Bob.:popcorn:

I want to go back to work tomorrow, but I am not healed. You guys think I will get sick in the heat if not healed up completely?

Quite possibly. That and I wouldn't waste the Boss' time if you're not at or damn near 100%... You're ntot doing him or the rest of the crew any good and may actually be a liability to yourself and others... FWIW

Matt Im glad you found a good fella to work for , do the right thing and heal well before you go back to work , you know it tuff work and you need to be right to do it well and safely , Im also glad you were lucky enough to get the medical help you needed and will soon mend , good luck for the future Im sure you will be an asset to the boss n the crew , mind how ya go mate yeah ;o))

Matthew, you are getting some extremely good advice from some seriously skilled and experienced folks. The fact that you recognize that and are taking it to heart speaks volumes about you and your chances for success

Gdaty Matty , Mate Um real happy for you olson , enjoy your wor and the education BE VERY CAREFUL , mind how ya go son yeah ;o))

Now to my question...........I am not that worried about what I am getting paid but he pays per tree, not board ft. I had never heard of this. This is all hardwoods and will be 18" to 28" from what I understand. He said most of his cutters do at least 40 trees a day and he pays $5.00 a tree. So after I settle in I should make at least $200.00 a day. Does this sound correct? I have a 391 and 441 stihl.

I just know this is the place to ask the questions and God knows I will have many more as I am learning. I cut down several hundred softwoods alone and clueless last year and survived but this is the first time I have entered the commercial side of it.

Best Regards,
Matthew Sparks

Logging in Ireland and England, I am paid by the day. We are given parcels or areas to clear. The wood in England varied greatly, in Ireland it is mainly Spruce, random conifers, and ash. Size varies wildly, as well. It makes things interesting. As far as pay goes, I rarely make more than the equivalent of $100 USD per day. However, most of my equipment is taken care of, as well as fuel, and we get 3 breaks per day by law. Still, I bring my own equipment, aside from fuel. We also must have forestry certs in order to be insured and employable. And safety gear is not optional. Chaps aren't allowed mostly. Most outfits require full trousers with front and back protection. I am currently poking about trying to find a way to work on the continent.

Back