Brand new solo 681 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is a brand new saw, it seems odd that the carburetor should be faulty.

I would try adjustment first, then if necessary take that one apart and make sure everything is correct and unplugged inside. You should be able to find good instructions on the basic settings from the Walbro web site.

You still did't mention where you are in Iowa, there may be some folks here that can help.

Mark

So you absolutely cannot get the saw to run? alot of times you will have to sit there wide open while she saw huffs and puffs out all the fuel. Like others are sayin, its kind of hard to believe a brand new saw got all the way to the consumer without being able to run properly..

I had a similar problem with a saw I fully rebuilt.....except the carb....If you are going to play with it, start with a carb kit and put that through it......

If it is a brand new saw, it seems odd that the carburetor should be faulty.

I would try adjustment first, then if necessary take that one apart and make sure everything is correct and unplugged inside. You should be able to find good instructions on the basic settings from the Walbro web site.

You still did't mention where you are in Iowa, there may be some folks here that can help.

Mark

Mark you must of missed it in post 34. I live in Mondamin iowa.

So you absolutely cannot get the saw to run? alot of times you will have to sit there wide open while she saw huffs and puffs out all the fuel. Like others are sayin, its kind of hard to believe a brand new saw got all the way to the consumer without being able to run properly..

I can only get it to run when I pull the plug and drain and wiggle all the fuel out of it.

Wow learning curve failure..:buttkick:

No this is not my first saw and yes it is flooding. You can pull the plug and let it dry and it will fire up but floods again. I did buy it new on the web and will be mailing it to a local service center since the nearest one is two hours away. I am guess it is a defucnt carb issue. I was trying to save time and took it to the local stihl repair shop I was willing to pay for a repair since my free time is short.. as all people with "learning curve issue:monkey:" He said he never heard of SOLO. I will be picking it up first thing monday from him and shipping it instead.

Hahaha. Your local Stihl dealer don't get out much.
Solo's been around a long time.

Andy

7point - Where are you in Iowa? I Hope you weren't planning on sending it to Delhi, seems they will be having some problems of their own to deal with since the dam broke today.

Anyone know what carburetor is on the Solo?

Mark

All that water as well as all the WI water is headed my way

Howdy,
With saws that we sell that need warranty, The owner sends the saw back on their dime. If the saw is a warranty, we preform the work, we reimburse the owners return shipping cost and we pay for the return shipping back to the owner.

If we get the saw back and it's not warranty, the owner is on the hook for shipping in both directions, and the repair cost if they decide to have it fixed.

In a case like the one described (main point being that it hadn't run long enough to be used), we would authorize $25.00 to the customer to take it to any shop to see if a carb adjustment would do the trick. If this isn't a option for the customer we will replace the unit. The customer would have to pay to ship it back (shipping reimbursed upon warranty determination), and we will ship a new replacement upon receipt. If the customer requires immediate replacement we would bill them for the replacement, and credit them back upon return of the unit in question. Any return units are sold at a discounted rate as a demo.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
With saws that we sell that need warranty, The owner sends the saw back on their dime. If the saw is a warranty, we preform the work, we reimburse the owners return shipping cost and we pay for the return shipping back to the owner.

If we get the saw back and it's not warranty, the owner is on the hook for shipping in both directions, and the repair cost if they decide to have it fixed.

In a case like the one described (main point being that it hadn't run long enough to be used), we would authorize $25.00 to the customer to take it to any shop to see if a carb adjustment would do the trick. If this isn't a option for the customer we will replace the unit. The customer would have to pay to ship it back (shipping reimbursed upon warranty determination), and we will ship a new replacement upon receipt. If the customer requires immediate replacement we would bill them for the replacement, and credit them back upon return of the unit in question. Any return units are sold at a discounted rate as a demo.
Regards
Gregg

Well unfortunately I did not buy it from Baileys, but it does have a production date of 10/2009. So it is still under warranty. Do you guys work on one that werent bought from you?

Howdy,
You don't have to buy it from us to get a warranty. The only thing we ask that a local dealer wouldn't is that you would have to meet us half way and pay the shipping to get it to us. We would perform the warranty and return it to you. All we need to have is proof of purchase to determine the warrantability.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
You don't have to buy it from us to get a warranty. The only thing we ask that a local dealer wouldn't is that you would have to meet us half way and pay the shipping to get it to us. We would perform the warranty and return it to you. All we need to have is proof of purchase to determine the warrantability.
Regards
Gregg

Just one more of a multitude of reasons I sit here every night and compile a Baileys wish list, get a hundred or more dollars worth of goodies, order and receive, always to my satisfaction. REJ2

Howdy,
Regards
Gregg

How would I go about doing this? Do I need to contact you and setup some type of authorization?
Also I can get a receipt to prove warranty but could you not also go buy the production date on the chain saw? If it was produced in the last two years then it should be under warranty reguardless right? Just curious:cheers:

Oh.. one more thing I am alredy a customer of Bailey's I got my 24 inch bar from them and my "how to fell a tree" book from them.

Last edited:
Howdy,
Please call 800 322 4539, then extension 250. His name is Rion. If you get voice mail, leave your name, contact information, and a brief description of the issue with your saw. You can send the powerhead only to:
Bailey's ATTN: Rion
1222 Commerce Ave Suite D
Woodland CA 95776
Please drain all the gas and oil from the powerhead and double trash bag it. If it leaks anything, or smells of gas on the way, UPS will drag it back to you.
The proof of purchase has a serial number and a sales date. Without proof of purchase it becomes discretionary on Solo's part. Solo is very good about warranties. They spend their time trying to get the customer back going rather than looking for a reason not to. I'm not sure if you've looked into it but, you can actually send it to Solo direct in West Virginia for warranty work.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Please call 800 322 4539, then extension 250. His name is Rion. If you get voice mail, leave your name, contact information, and a brief description of the issue with your saw. You can send the powerhead only to:
Bailey's ATTN: Rion
1222 Commerce Ave Suite D
Woodland CA 95776
Please drain all the gas and oil from the powerhead and double trash bag it. If it leaks anything, or smells of gas on the way, UPS will drag it back to you.
The proof of purchase has a serial number and a sales date. Without proof of purchase it becomes discretionary on Solo's part. Solo is very good about warranties. They spend their time trying to get the customer back going rather than looking for a reason not to. I'm not sure if you've looked into it but, you can actually send it to Solo direct in West Virginia for warranty work.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks you have been very helpfull. I will get it out in the mail to you.:biggrinbounce2:

Well, this is on its way back to my home. Rion looked at it and said that yes it was flooding and that is the way these and the dolmars and the larger Makita’s are. He stated that by the 3rd or 4th pull if it was not started that I should push the choke in becase if I was coming up on pull 5 or 6 with the choke out all I was doing was flooding it. He was able to get it running and told me that if I had problems when I got it back to call him and he would walk me step by step to get it started. We also talked about fuel and ethanol for about 10 mins. Now remember I did not buy this from them and they took care of me and even called me back and talked to me about the high idle setting on the chain saw on start up. I know right now this all seems like a pain to me with the down time but I am sure once I get her going it will be like second nature to get it running. They even took care of shipping back to me. Bailey's :yourock:

Thanks
John Ewing:kilt:

That's some first-class service right there. Good stuff man, enjoy the saw. And get us some pics of it eating wood!

Hate to say, "Told ya so" but when you need support, a saw off the net isn't going to be worth a hoot. We live and learn.:cheers:

Not to rub dirt in the wound and not to say this isn't a simple fix, but the man has a point here...:deadhorse:

Back