Brand Pronounciations???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl: "Steel". prolly the most commonly mispronounced.

I think that "prolly" is the "word" most misspelled on this site. Since we are doing this exercise, this is an opportunity to set the record straight...

Probably is the correct spelling and it is pronounced prob-uh-blee.

Three syllables is correct for Husqvarna (husk-varn-nah). That's the way they themselves pronounce it in their TV and radio commercials.

Who had the Poulan ad from the 1970's that showed how to pronounce the name. Did a search but could not find it and wasn't about to look through the entire Poulan stickie thread...

Just curious, how do you guys pronounce the names of saws and related items:

Stihl: "Steel". prolly the most commonly mispronounced. The Stihl site FAQ's lists it as steel. This means many of the puns on the name are incorrect. Like, "I stihl think I know the most about saws." A correct pun would be: "Got a 660 for $200, what a stihl!

Husqvarna: its either "HUSK-uh-VAR-nuh" or "husk-VAR-nuh". Which do you use? 4 syllables or three?

Jonsered: who knows... "JOHNS-ur-red" or "JONES-ur-red".

Shindaiwa: "shin-DYE-uh-wuh", maybe "SHIN-duh-why"??

Tanaka: "TAN-uh-kuh" or "tuh-NAK-uh"?

What am I missing?

jeff
In many parts of the country (the more intelligent ones :p), "still" and "steel" share an identical sound.

Husqvarna: Husk-VAR-nuh.

Jonsered: YOHNS-erd.

Shindaiwa: Shin-DYE-wuh

Tanaka: Tuh-NA-kuh

Poulan: PO-lun

Sorry guys, but the Japanese pronunciation is fairly simple. The "a" has a consistent sounding for each lead consonant.

Tah nah kah

Sorry guys, but the Japanese pronunciation is fairly simple. The "a" has a consistent sounding for each lead consonant.

Tah nah kah

You are correct. I lazily left the "uh" sounds in there as they were originally quoted.

For me it's;

Stihl = Steel or Steal

Husqvarna = Husk var na

Poulan = Pool an even though their advertising says Pole an, Like Poland minus the D

Dolmar = Dole mar

Jonsered(s) = John sir ed(s)

Tanaka = Ten ah ka

Shindaiwa = Shin die wah

We must have went to the same school, same here. theres no ,A, AH, or UH or verna in our beloved gift from the Gods, Husqvarna:chainsaw:

Cary

Here are the correct pronunciations (I think):
Husqvarna: Husk-varn-a
Stihl: still
Jonsered: John-sird
Shindaiwa: Shin-day-wuh
Tanaka: Tawn-uh-kuh
Poulan: Paul-in

I took my GOL classes from Soren Ericksson. His pronunciations were:

Shteel

Hooskwahrna

Yohnsuhret

Notice the Swede used three syllables in his pronunciation.

I agree. Been in Rotterdam for a few days and asked the family, they agree with the above :)

Echo pretty simple :hmm3grin2orange:...Bob
ech·o   /ˈɛkoʊ/ Show Spelled [ek-oh] Show IPA noun, plural ech·oes,

I read somewhere that the name Husqvarna originated long ago to describe an estate-based millworks. The "hus'" part stands for "house" and "kvarna" stands for a millworks, or shop. This would suggest a three syllable pronounciation: hoos-kvar-na.

Here's a whole thread just on Poulan, along with the ad mentioned above. Part of that has to do with Cajun pronunciation of a word that would be pronounced differently in Quebec or in France. I guess that you have to go with how the family pronounced it, if it was their name. 'Poland', without the 'D'.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/179788.htm

I am told that 'Blount' the family company that owns Oregon chain, is pronounced 'blunt' - a terrible name for a cutting product.

Jonsered saws up here in Minnesota used to be plural: 'Jonsereds', and a lot of older guys still call them that, although, a lot of guys call them 'Jon-sir-rude' (like 'Evenrude'). Might be a Scandinavian thing.

Husqvarna is pronounced differently in Swedish - you can hear this on some Swedish YouTube videos, or on the Swedish Husqvarna site. More like 'Hoosk-varnah'.

But again, here in the US we are not talking Swedish. We called Nissans 'Datsuns' for years (and they are bringing that name back in some countries!). Same thing with Renaults, Porsches, Hyundai's, and other brands with names foreign to our ears. Sometimes the US distributors promote a pronunciation that is easier for us to repeat, even if it is different from that used in the motherland (or fatherland). As long as we buy them, I guess that they can be forgiving.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back