Brand Q for old-timers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As already stated by a few knowledgeable members, chainsaw popularity depended upon the strength of the local saw dealerships. In rural areas like ours, saws, parts and repair personnel were very limited. My timeline started around 1958 with Pioneers, they were the only chainsaws sold locally at that time. To get another brand we had to drive 45 miles and at that time it was not feasible to be travelling that far very often. My grandfather owned IEL`s, dad bought his first Pioneer 600 in 1968, we ran Pioneer til the mid 80`s around that time the dealer changed over to Poulan and we bought 306A`s . Ran them for a while til the mufflers rusted out, no replacement parts were available, dealer went out of business, no internet. Then we found Sachs Dolmar and bought 116 and 120 Supers, they were great saws and we had a great dealer but eventually Makita bought them out and the dealer lost all support from Makita, he closed shop. Makita were absolutely impossible to deal with, still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Around 1990 we went with Stihl using the 044`s and stayed with them til this day. My time in the woods cutting commercially is about over but I still recommend to the younger cutters to stay with either Stihl or Husqvarna due to the continuing support from the manufacturers. All other brands are just too hit or miss on their dependability of servicing and whether they will be there after sales.

can I set you on fire?

I pulled a bunch of 6 and 7 cube Homelites out of Southern Humboldt where the timber was 8' or smaller, where the timber was larger, McCullochs were more common. The McCulloch shop in Fortuna probably sold a few thousand big inch saws. There was a Pioneer shop that did good business, sold lots of P50 series saws, most landings had them, a few weirdos used the larger Pioneers for falling and bucking. Del Norte was almost all McCullochs, although there were many two-man Malls and some Titans.

Randy, After you set him ablaze can you post up some pics...us old guys like the pics from the wayback days...

Solo was the best saw then. Jonsereds was good. Chances are though the biggest problem they had was keeping chain sharp.

At my father in law's today for Thanksgiving dinner he took me out to show me his new saw: a little Dolmar 42. He said that's all his shoulder can take at his age, and that he bought it just because his old dealer still gives great service, and because how much they used to love Sachs Dolmar. Sometimes it's hard to give up on a brand, and when they go downhill it can be like a personal disappointment.

Latest posts

Back