new to the forum, plenty of questions, mostly saw related

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
View attachment 306790Hi I'm Dave, been lurking and reading for months and finally registered.
I own a full service landscape management company in Columbus, Ohio.
Three years ago I hired an experienced climber and he has talked me through getting all the gear we have needed for the pretty limited tree work we do.
Current saws - all Stihl 200T, 192TC, 360, 361 (replaced P&C bigbore), a pair of 362s and a 440 magnum.
Until recently the 440 was all we needed for the bigger stuff but we had a branch last week that we removed that the 25" bar wouldn't reach to the center of so I picked up a 32"ES and it seems like the 440 had a decided lack of huevos on the big Oak. So plenty of reading and I am hoping to pick up an 066 Magnum.
So........in checking CL religiously I came across a local chainsaw shop going out of business and I am going tonight to review the inventory. His price seems very reasonable almost to the point that I can't say no.
He claims to have lots of big and small Stihl parts (015s to 090s stuff) but little in the 044-066 size range.
Having read a bit I think I can make a fair assessment on the value of the Stihl stuff, wondering what other brands might be diamonds hiding in the parts bins.
Brands he mentioned having a bunch of saws and parts for were Stihl, Homelite, Pioneer, McCulloch, Poulan, Echo, Lombard, Mono, Skil.
He was a vintage saw restorer apparently and there are 200+ complete saws as well as a 20x24' building full of parts, service and parts manuals, etc.

My thoughts honestly are to buy the whole shebang, keep all the stuff I might use someday (rolls of new chain, Stihl parts, etc) and put the rest on Ebay.

My questions for you guys - is there anything you are looking for?
Are any of the other brands he mentioned good saws? In my neck of the woods there are echo, stihl and husky dealers.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
I will give you a couple tidbits of advice.......

There will be some gems in that bunch, but you can count on bins and boxes of stuff, even though it's NOS, is not sought after.....Sorting alone takes days and days of time and I don't know about you, but I don't like working for free.

Ebay is a ton of work...PERIOD!

Having said that, I sell on Ebay and it's worthwhile if you realize it's a full time 7 day a week job. I buy large lots like you are describing, so I know what I'm talking about......50% of it will be impossible to sell, but don't overpay, and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum! :)

i agree with jockeydeuce, ebay can be a real pain even when the sale goes right, time consuming, packing/shipping, finding the time to do that and not forgetting anything, i only sell on a very limited basis, if i wasn't working it wouldn't be as big an issue, as far as getting your bigger saw from whom you've decided and the saws you say he has, go for the biggest stihl he has, craigslist is also another option to sell off the other stuff......................:msp_wink:

Welcome to AS....Auctioneers like to put box lots together where they'll put one or two good items on top and the rest junk..
The last sale I went to (Stihl Dealership) going out of business...deals where far and few inbetween...people will come from near and far looking for a deal, and you can bet there will be some other chainsaw dealers there...If they can buy NOS and turn around and sell it in there stores for retail....Well that's a pretty good deal for them...:cheers:

he wants 3K for everything -
a lathe, two chain grinders, rows of shop manuals tons of Stihl swag, his grandpa owned a stihl dealership in the sixties and seventies
tons of saws but majority not stihl :( tons of NOS stuff in many brands, a mill
I took lots of pics with his permission and put some money down, was thinking my son might do the Ebay thing between quarters at college.
About 40 mins away and will take a bunch of space to store it all while selling.

he wants 3K for everything -
a lathe, two chain grinders, rows of shop manuals tons of Stihl swag, his grandpa owned a stihl dealership in the sixties and seventies
tons of saws but majority not stihl :( tons of NOS stuff in many brands, a mill
I took lots of pics with his permission and put some money down, was thinking my son might do the Ebay thing between quarters at college.
About 40 mins away and will take a bunch of space to store it all while selling.

You might still be ok at that......It's amazing how the good stuff adds up once you start going through it.....If there's old signage and stuff, it's cool to keep or sells well.

I gave $1200 recently for a pick up load of NOS Stihl parts, and it was an ok deal, but didn't pan out as well as I thought it might......The fast movers are usually gone in these lots.

Stihl Swag stuff -

lots of cardboard advertising and packaging stuff, blade covers, nos owners manuals, advertising signs, old calendars (pinup girls), hats, winter hats, binders full of service bulletins, giant parts list binders, service manuals for all stihl models for the pre MS models, sew on patches, trying to remember, there was just so much stuff, I was agog and aghast at it all :)
Dave

Dave,

Ran across your wtb 066 ad on CL, just to let you know the difference between 066's and magnums are the sticker. It used to differentiate the mag had a dual port muffler but that went away due to the EPA. Everything else was identical.

Cheers

Gunn

Last edited:
Dave,

Ran across your wtb 066 ad on CL, just to let you know the difference between 066's and magnums are the sticker. It used to differentiate the mag had a dual port muffler but that went away due to the EPA. Everything else was identical.

Cheers

Gunn

I thought the magnum had the decomp valve and the non magnum didn't. Is this wrong? Just thinking of the phone call from clients on a private road with a tree down in the middle of a snowy night, the valve might come in handy.
Dave

Buy it all.... If I don't buy the stuff you don't want. I'm sure Ohio Andy or JJ will buy the other. Many other AS members around. Buy it.. It will sell.... Because I will buy :rock:

A few years ago before I even knew about AS I ran into A nice deal. At my work place they had a 4'x4' box on a skid full of parts that was bought from a Stihl dealer that went under. The parts department sorted through the parts and kept very little of what is normally stocked. I noticed the box was getting in the way so I offered the parts manager $250 and told him I would have it gone the same day. He made the deal. It was time consuming but I sold 95% of the parts on ebay and made over $3500

Stihl Swag stuff -

lots of cardboard advertising and packaging stuff, blade covers, nos owners manuals, advertising signs, old calendars (pinup girls), hats, winter hats, binders full of service bulletins, giant parts list binders, service manuals for all stihl models for the pre MS models, sew on patches, trying to remember, there was just so much stuff, I was agog and aghast at it all :)
Dave

Agog, and aghast will always get green rep from me. Welcome to AS, and good luck on the deal.

Took a handful of pics of the chainsaw shop stock I bought, if this forum is like the others I frequent for other hobbies/obsessions then pictures are worth a million words.
Enjoy
and if you see anything cool, interesting, or generally wow, let me know
Dave

Chainsaw Pics 1 Photos by joviparagon | Photobucket

Back