Brands of Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbojango

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So all I've ever used is Stihl brand chain. I've never, ever, ever EVER used anything else... BUT! my buddy just bought some carlton brand full chisel chain (same as i run) and that stuff seems just as good as the Stihl except it stretches during the first tank of fuel.

So the question begs since I'm a cheapskate but also wanting the longest life out of my equipment what do you guys all think about other brands? I know oregon, and woodland pro, and carlton, and stihl and everyone else make a chain and on and on but give me some hands on information on why you like a particular brand.

I have a chain breaker and could conceivably buy a roll just to have on hand and i'm not wanting a $250-$400 mistake. I know the Stihl stuff is good but at $375-$400 is the $100 or more i'm saving going to wind up costing me?

Thanks guys!

My preference is Stihl, that said it depresses the hell out of me when I hit debris which is too common in garden trees/shrubs. Bought a roll of Carlton semi 3/8 and it's good, it's not Stihl but it's cheaper and lasts just as long when cutting glass, rocks, bricks, dirt pockets and steel. The only thing that annoys me is the stretch, but then in my experience Stihl chain is the only one that doesn't as it's pre-stretched at the factory. If I only ever had to sharpen out wear from clean wood I'd go with Stihl but it's too expensive when cutting grown in garden ornaments. My climbing saws wear Stihl chisel and nothing else.

oregon has been good to me, just got a loop of stihl full chisel the other day gonna try it and see how it works

The real question to me: is stihl chain worth the x2 price ratio? I've had good results with various oregon and woodland pro, and the savings financed some beer.

Yeah @CTYank thats what i'm struggling with and wanting to know everyone's experince with the "crap chain" vs. the gold standard.

That being said if i ever buy another Stihl 180 or some crap saw like that i'll try one of the Oregon self sharpening chains that has the deal you put on the nose, powersharp or whatever they are. Couldn't hurt to try once in my life.

BTW i run a .325 .063 18" on a 261 and a 3/8 .063 18, 25 and 32" on a 441 full chisel and nothing else if that helps anyone give me better results and input

Stihl chain stays sharp a little longer and doesn't stretch as much. On the other hand, it's definitely harder to file.

I started with new oregon chains and with care have cut alot of wood, all the stihl chains I got were messed up
real bad before I got them (some dummy with a grinder) ..... I have to drive 30 miles to get stihl chain
Im gonna try a stihl full chisel I bought, but I wouldnt buy all stihl

Especially if you're buying a roll, I would go Stihl. They make a great chain.

As stated, the Carlton and Oregon chain is decent, but I wouldn't buy a roll of either. Many QC issues with the Oregon chain lately, too, and the last few I've bought have been horribly dull, right out of the box.

I have run a lot of different brands of chains. I think Stihl chain is the best. However, I never buy Stihl chains. I usually make my own loops or use chains that come on saws I buy. I have used a lot of the Laser chain that I got at Cutter's Choice in rolls and I have one roll of Oregon 72. I have not noticed any chains being terrible but the Stihl chains will cut a lot of wood per dollar. Whether they would actually be cheaper in the long run, I don't know. The only new Stihl chain I ever bought was one I had made up for my Stihl 070 and that was about $52 for a 41" bar in .404 skip.
Any brand of chain if it's sharp will cut just fine. And no brand of chain will cut well if it's dull.
Everyone has varying opinions of Stihl saws but as far as their bars and chains I think they are indisputably superior.

Anyone run Laser chain?
Laser has worked well with me. I believe at 1 time it was relbadged Windsor and later Carlton chain, not sure if it is still Carlton chain
If its priced right I buy any brand but China made.
Stihl is consistently top quality for holding an edge and sharp out of the box so its worth a bit more to me. Most other brands sharpen faster with a file and often seem to hold an edge near to Stihl so sometimes its a bargain but since the temper and original edge aren't always consistent I prefer to find Stihl chain at bargain prices. List prices on all major brands is pricey IMO.

For the price difference and ease of online ordering, I gave up on Stihl a couple years ago and run Oregon now. No issues.

+1 on trying a few different brands and making your own decisions. Your cutting may be different enough to have a different result (positive or negative).

If you really are a 'cheapskate' with a spinner/breaker, watch for sales and stock up - loops are sometimes cheaper than bulk chain.

Scrounge chains other guys give up on because it stretched or hit a rock. Keep them sharp and run them down to the nubs.

If you know how to sharpen, and can 'adjust' loops to fit, you can save a lot. As long as you are brand flexible.

Philbert

Got a little bit of everything on the nails in the barn.

Whatever is on sale and is decent is my rule.
I'll go for Baileys/Carlton before Oregon every time though. I don't need the low vibe chain, and Carlton Skip holds up much better than Oregon.
Oregon has gone to total crap in the last couple years, and it was never threatening Stihl chain for quality to begin with.

Every once in a blue Moon one of the Stihl dealers will have a sale, and I'll snag a couple loops of RM/RMC, as it is my favorite.

I did pop for a loop of Oregon 3/8 Multicut a couple years back, and it has been in rotation regularly.
50 bucks for a 20" loop is mule fritters, but it does hold onto the beak real well when even RS goes round real quick.
When it's done, I wont get another loop. RM or Carlton SC holds up almost as well for 40% of the cost.

Back