Break in time for rings to seat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting how we love a Manufactuors product, STIHL, Husky,
Dolmar, et al. , but care not a whit for their instuctions.

It would be very interesting to have a STIHL engineer reply to this thread.
Early heat cycles, per STIHL, are very important for the engine AND chain.

Hey, but what do they know??
They just designed & made the stupid thing!

If running the snot out of it from minute one is OK for some A/S members,
surely that supercedes all that STIHL could say.

You make a good point, but keep this in mind: a manufacturer that warantees a product must temper the wording in the reference manual to cover their collective arses. They have no idea who is using the saw and if they have a lick of sense regarding the use of the tool. In other words, even if running the saw like crazy is the right thing to do, they would never say that in the manual. :cheers:

I would venture to say the saws that get the most hours racked up on them are from people who are in the business of selling firewood, tree removal, etc. And I would guess that most of these saws are not run by the owner/purchaser, but rather by the crew members that have no investment in the equipment. And I doubt most do anything other than run it from day 1 the way it will be run all its life.

My conclusion from this would be to just run it.

Waylan

Ive honed cylinders and put new rings, Stihl and cheapie in several saws and never gave it much thought. Always cringed when it first started. Waited to hear bad noises but havent yet. Then I just went and started cutting.:)

i've always just started the dang thing and went and cut the crap out of stuff... Brand new saws right off the shelf... Never gave it any thought...

Never had a breakdown or a "break in" related problem

...just go cut wood!

Gary

exactly. Me and you and all the dealers that i buy saws from that prep them!!!

Latest posts

Back