Breaking News: Operation Flippy Cap.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
Although prolonged Shindaiwan and Husqvarnish efforts to penetrate the information epicenter of the Stihl Corporation have failed, the Stihl servers deep in a bunker in the Northern Rhineland have inadvertantly linked to servers in the U.S.
A thread was found posted on a quilting forum in Oregon entitled, “Operation Flippen Käppen.”

Translated to English, it reads:
We have received this transmission from German Field Operatives in th U.S. woods.
Our efforts to cultivated rabid beer enthusiasts in the New Country have succeded. The subjects have made preparation to engage in a major beer run and are currently taking a leak.
The little orange screwdrivers are all accounted for. They are secure and in our possesion. The ones who haven’t lost the schrënchen they were issued have left them on their tailgate and we will intercept them now.
M-Tronic to Headquarters: Launch Operation Flippy Cap.

OK. Now seriously. Mattw24 posted a thread here to try and get people to talk him out of buying a Stihl MS660 Magnum.
I am of firm personal resolve that every one over 5’4” and 170lbs. should be issued a Stihl 066 when they turn 21. If you want one , I’m going to try to talk you into it. I made the statement on Matt’s thread that he could find one with old style screw caps if he looked around. I own a new one and it has threaded caps. Brad Snelling and a couple other users suggested that all MS660’s have threaded caps. They were right.
Here is some more good news. I called Stihl this afternoon and a technical rep told me that this won’t ever change while the MS 660 Magnum is still being made. They know who their users are but this doesn’t explain why the 880 went tooless. Anywho, I expressed to the rep my feelings on cap vs. Kap and he said even though the recall on the leaking flippy caps was on trimmers, they haven’t denied anyone a claim to have any cap replaced. Some of the trimmers have gone back to screw caps. And even though he believes it costs Stihl $750,000 to rework the molds for each tank class in question, there is a strong possibility Stihl chainsaws are going back to threaded caps.

And even though he believes it costs Stihl $750,000 to rework the molds for each tank class in question, there is a strong possibility Stihl chainsaws are going back to threaded caps.

If that turned out to be true, who do you think would end up paying the $750,000 per tank?

Might be a good time to pick up a Flippy cap Stihl before the prices rise...

Good, haven't seen a flippy cap thread in a while.:hmm3grin2orange:

A month ago I looked at a new 261 and by God the caps worked effortlessly without fail. I thought perhaps I should lighten up on my hatred. However last week I borrowed my neighbors Stihl pole saw and it re-invigorated my hatred for the d@mm things. Stihls answer to an issue that wasn't a problem. It took me 4-5 minutes to get the gas cap back on and about a minute for the bar oil. What a P*S.

BTW, I am still waiting for an answer from Stihl USA on my previous complaint about flippy caps.

Here is the response:

[email protected]

12/19/11

to me

Mr.

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email and comments.

Best regards,
Bob Myers
Technical Support and Customer Support Lead
---------------------------------------------------------
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7391
Phone: (757) 498-7599
Fax: (800) 784-8576
E-Mail: [email protected]
Internet: STIHL – The Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws – Outdoor Power Tools - Locate an Independent STIHL Dealer
---------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
To: US/SCC-cs Customer Service; [email protected]
Subject: STIHL Web Site E-mail - Product Complaint

This e-mail is from
Subject: Product Complaint
Name:
Address1: State: Wisconsin
Zip:
Where Did You Hear About Us: Web site link
Comments: I have owned a Stihl 028 Super chainsaw and Stihl straight
shaft brushcutter for over 20 years.

I have recently bought 2 new chainsaws recently, a Makita 6401 and
Husqvarna 346Xp. I wouldn't even consider a Stihl because I detest the
"flippy caps" so much. In my opinion the flippy caps were a solution to
a problem that wouldn't exhist.

Can you make your pro line saws without this worthless feature? As long
as you continue with these caps, I will not consider a Stihl.

Thanks,

Does STIHL have permission to publish your comments?: Yes, in the
scrapbook and in other forms of media.

:musical-note:.."Don't Bogart that joint..my friend..pass it over to me..!!..:musical-note:
:cheers:
J2F

You've been holding on to it.

And I sure would like a

Hit.

P.S. One of the new proto types on the board has the male threads on the tank instead of on the cap. Cool, Huh? Fill it to the rim. With brim.

Good, haven't seen a flippy cap thread in a while.:hmm3grin2orange:

A month ago I looked at a new 261 and by God the caps worked effortlessly without fail. I thought perhaps I should lighten up on my hatred. However last week I borrowed my neighbors Stihl pole saw and it re-invigorated my hatred for the d@mm things. Stihls answer to an issue that wasn't a problem. It took me 4-5 minutes to get the gas cap back on and about a minute for the bar oil. What a P*S.

BTW, I am still waiting for an answer from Stihl USA on my previous complaint about flippy caps.

Yeah C5 Rulz,
Call the 1 800 # in your MS261 manual and speak with them on the phone. Always find the guy with the horns. Middle man is just a buffer. The tech rep mentioned a concept to me with the caps called, "timing." This is far too complex for a device that is meant to keep liquid in the tank, but when you back the caps off by hand, then insert them and twist, you can see what they are refering to as , "tooless cap cam timing."

But why do something just because you can? The engineers of today are from my generation and were raised on Atari and Computers.
When they were doing that, I was playing baseball with my friends or Hogging catfish in the creek.
And I'll take standard threaded caps over anything.

I fixed a MS250 that was given to me last month. I gave it to my friend Steve who oloves the saw. We went out to cut some wood Saturday and he put the saw in my truck. When we got to where we were going I found a tank of oil in the the bed of my truck. The stupid flippy cap had come off and the oil drained out. I don't have a saw with flippy caps but I hate them.

The oil caps are waaaay far worse than the gas cap to screw-up...!!!!!!!

I don't know why...just know that they are....ALWAYS SECOND CHECK THEM...!!!!!!
J2F

The oil caps are waaaay far worse than the gas cap to screw-up...!!!!!!!

I don't know why...just know that they are....ALWAYS SECOND CHECK THEM...!!!!!!
J2F

Yup.

Hey, here's an idea. What if Stihl moulded threads on those flippy caps and receptacles instead of that bayonet type mount?

Those who like screw caps get their wish, yet those who like the flippy cap itself get to keep it albeit with a slightly more traditional technique.

Might be a win-win. :rock:

P.S. One of the new proto types on the board has the male threads on the tank instead of on the cap. Cool, Huh? Fill it to the rim. With brim.

WOW!!! Them thare engineers @ Stihl just can't give up on bad ideas. So you are telling me they would put female threads on the cap and male on the tank.:msp_thumbdn: Absolutely stunning idea.:msp_confused: Apparently they are doubling down on dumb. :msp_ohmy:

Hmmmm.... maybe looking for a cabinet appointment with that kind of "out of the box " thinking.:yoyo:

I fixed a MS250 that was given to me last month. I gave it to my friend Steve who oloves the saw. We went out to cut some wood Saturday and he put the saw in my truck. When we got to where we were going I found a tank of oil in the the bed of my truck. The stupid flippy cap had come off and the oil drained out. I don't have a saw with flippy caps but I hate them.

My 250 has went through seven oil caps in the last couple of years.

C5rulz, Some of the smaller saws have the male threads on the tank now. I looked them over, and I'm sure the design is the strongest yet.

I know the Stihl engineers aren't looking for cabinet appointments in Wisconsin, because Stihl engineers work every day.

C5rulz, Some of the smaller saws have the male threads on the tank now. I looked them over, and I'm sure the design is the strongest yet.

I did not know that:bowdown:

I know the Stihl engineers aren't looking for cabinet appointments in Wisconsin, because Stihl engineers work every day.

In Wisconsin, cabinet appointments are only sold to the highest bidder. Everyone else, get to the back of the line.

You know, it wasn't that long ago we got our legislators back from your fine State.:hmm3grin2orange:

In Wisconsin, cabinet appointments are only sold to the highest bidder. Everyone else, get to the back of the line.

You know, it wasn't that long ago we got our legislators back from your fine State.:hmm3grin2orange:

I do know. We used to see a few of them out on Carlyle Lake and at the bowling alley while they were hiding from the Governor.

I do know. We used to see a few of them out on Carlyle Lake and at the bowling alley while they were hiding from the Governor.

Our fine Governor is now hiding from the voters wrath with One MILLION signatures on the recall petition.:rock:

Solo and Jonsered both have a high end product. If I ever got tired of Stihl, I'd take either of those. Has any one else noticed Solo stopped making a 90cc Class saw?

Isn't there someone over in the firewood forum you should be annoying with your babbling bull####?:msp_confused:

Back