Briggs Intec 16hp question?...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorlivin247

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anybody have much experience w/ these?...I have one in a Ariens ZT mower that started pushing oil out of the fuel pump...It has a vent hose running from the fill tube to the fuel pump to vent the crankcase I assume...It is also slinging oil out of the dipstick/fill tube if you remove the dipstick...Not sure if it blew the head gasket or if it is something as simple as the fuel pump...It only has 130 hours on it so I hope it is simple...I am attaching a pic of the fuel pump...It is leaking out of the little metal screen in the center...

attachment.php

I shouldn't be pushing oil that far up the dipstick. I would check the simple thing first by just seeing if it has too much oil in it. Is it splash lubricated or pressurized?

That fuel pump uses crankcase pressure differential to drive the diaphragm. If the diaphragm gets a hole in it, it will leak oil. Disassemble it, clean it and inspect for holes.

That fuel pump uses crankcase pressure differential to drive the diaphragm. If the diaphragm gets a hole in it, it will leak oil. Disassemble it, clean it and inspect for holes.

It does not appear to be serviceable...

I've got a Deere Z425 with a Briggs Intec.
38 hours on mine, so far no problems.

I dont know much but I would say the fuelpump is operated off of the crankcase impulse. Kinda like the carburetor on a saw. If its also pushing oil up the dipstick it sounds like somethings wrong. :(

Does anybody have much experience w/ these?...I have one in a Ariens ZT mower that started pushing oil out of the fuel pump...It has a vent hose running from the fill tube to the fuel pump to vent the crankcase I assume...It is also slinging oil out of the dipstick/fill tube if you remove the dipstick...Not sure if it blew the head gasket or if it is something as simple as the fuel pump...It only has 130 hours on it so I hope it is simple...I am attaching a pic of the fuel pump...It is leaking out of the little metal screen in the center...

attachment.php

could be a faulty pump

It is driven by crankcase pressure, but there shouldn't be any oil inside the pump. The hose that drives the pump is too far up the dipstick.

It does not appear to be serviceable...

If it only has 130 hours I would take it to where ever you got it from and get it repaired under warranty.

That pump runs off crank case pulse you should have one hose coming from your fuel tank another running to the carb and one more coming from the crank case.
To check for a blown head gasket pull your spark plug if its oil fouled and caked up with oil deposits around the electrode more you would have a blown head gasket. Also she would smoke alot!
The fuel pump leaking should not be caused from the head gasket.
Does your carb have a fuel solenoid?

This started the last time I mowed...I checked the oil before and it was fine...When I was done there was a small amount of oil on the rear pan...I check the oil and it was at the add line...:confused:...Washed everything down and tried to find the leak and could not...Filled w/ oil and put it away...This time I saw it was leaking from the fuel pump so I started checking things...That is when I pulled the dipstick and oil went everywhere...If I unhook the vent tube it does not spray it out the vent hose , but the minute I hook it back up and put it under load it starts...It also feels underpowered and blows white smoke if I load it really hard...

If your carb has a fuel solenoid you should be shutting your engine off full throttle , not at idle. do you ever find that it back fires, this is why. The solenoid cuts the fuel supply off to the jet so that only air is pushed through the intake, you will also blow the baffles out of your muffler if the engine has the fuel solenoid and you continue to shut the motor down at idle.

HEAD Gasket.....

Start it with the valve covers removed......

I am not doubting you...That is what I think it is, I just wanted the AS gods to make it something simple...

What am I going to see w/ the valve covers removed?...

Latest posts

Back