Bringing home my second sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The sawmill had been over grown since the sawyer died.
attachment.php

After clearing the brush it is clear that the frame work is rotten and
giving way so care has to be taken in removing the mill.
attachment.php

Everything is in working order.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I got a truck load of parts home today and the rest of the mill will be
coming home over the next couple of days.
Now I have a bandsaw and a round saw, now all I need is a CSM

:censored: :censored: You're contributing to my destruction, envy is one of the 7 deadly sins... Might I ask, what did you have to shell out for that whole setup? It'll go nice with your band mill, you could square cants really fast with the circular and then cut boards with the band. Isn't it you that has the fancy edger thingy too?

Nice Find! Don't forget to grab that blade on the side of the barn as they are expensive to buy.Good luck with it.:clap: Mark

Nice find... it's good that it was (at least in spirit) under roof so the weather didn't have complete reign. Looks like it is'nt too far gone yet, and can be resurrected by somebody handy like yourself.

Keep us posts as to the progress as you clean it up.

The mill came complete with three 52” saws and one 24” saw and all of the accessories including a 1950’s dodge truck with a large winch, boxes of parts and tools, as well as all of the original paper work on the mill. The only thing missing is the roll case and power plant, and I have a set of rolls.

Are you sitting down?
The price was free, with the stipulation that it does not get sold for scrap.
I wore out the tape measure and pencil. I also got lots of pictures for references.
I got to say this is the best find I have ever came across.

...The price was free, with the stipulation that it does not get sold for scrap...I got to say this is the best find I have ever came across.

I'd say that was a serious understatement... congrats. Lots of work ahead, but it looks like serious fun for guys like us.

I see it was powered with a flat belt... Did they use an old tractor to run it?

You should have some fun with it, once you get it back into shape!

Rob

I used to love watching the old circle mill operate at a "steam and craft" show that I used to go to.

Great find, I hope you'll be able to post progress pics as you rebuild it..

There is very little rebuild to it, pretty much clean, paint and reset up. It was run off a Chevy 350, the motors gone but the driveshaft is there, then it goes to a triple belt. It looks like the flat belts run the trany.

I got the carriage, the drive and the track home now. The main frame for the mill is all that is left and will be a chore as the wood frame is collapsing as we go. The last of it fell apart as the weight of the carriage transferred to the truck. What is left is under the roof and in better condition. The plan is now to cut the wood loose and bring it with the frame if possible.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now that I think of it, I do remember seeing an old mill like this out in the middle of a rancher's field back in the spring while out exploring back roads. The "roof" it was under was practically nonexistent and the wood framing it was on was not at all straight anymore, so it might be a writeoff anyway. But it definitely hasn't been used in decades. I wonder...

That's a vicious looking blade, but it looks pretty small and more like a ripping blade. Is there a bigger one too?

The saw that was on it is 52" and there is a pair of them stored inside another building.
attachment.php

I will be taking a tractor over on Friday to lift out the last piece.

attachment.php

When we reached in and picked up the last piece the frame crumbled away.
attachment.php

My oldest boy only put two dents in MY truck while loading it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now it is home so I can start cleaning it up and getting it ready to set up.
attachment.php

Make that my third mill.
I just could not pass this up today at a yard sale after firing up the saw.
A 48” home built Alaska mill style roller assembly with bar and new chain (The total length of the bar is 58 1/2”),
an 18 hp power head with 32” bar and good chain,
and a complete set of climbing gear in top shape.
All for $250.
I about tore my pocket off getting my wallet out to help stimulate the economy.

attachment.php

Nice pics..

Thats gonna be one hell of a mill when you get done...Wow,,alot of work,,but something you will have for generations on down ...That is just so cool!!!

Latest posts

Back