Broke rope thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemandan

Tree Freak
Reaction score
if I may.

Starting out I will put this up. Its 3/4 inch Nerex with something of a brummel and used to set a block.

4poplars011.jpg

Its hard to say what happened. I did not see it happened though I saw the set up and load and it looked fine coming down though it was large and bore a good amount of re-action when cut, it was not shocked extensively I thought.
It was noticed when it was taken off afterwards. This Nerex, which I have used heavily before, is designed to have good stretch and high strength and resilency. The very easy splice was fine. I think you guys can spectulate a little.

Last edited:
And this one the locking stitch for the splice came undone and the splice slipped out. It didn't happen in service, I noticed it during routine inspection. The shrink wrap that cover the locking stitch came off exposing the stitch to abrasive activity which pulled the thread compelty out and away. It wasn't much of a thread to begin with; Hey, I whip my stuff and it don't come out. Those splices with shrink wrap need to be delt with.

moreeyesplicesandbrokenwillow001.jpg

Well, besides that 1/2 True Blue I snapped trying to yank on a oak stump that's all I have for now. I am hoping to see rigging and climbing breaks rather than truck pulling breaks anyway. What i really want to see are what you poor basterds think you are climbing on.:)

Scary.

I've never had anything break on me. I did see a bull line snap onetime when it was being used to pull a 120' Tulip Poplar over with a truck. It was an old rope in poor condition. The dude was lucky he had 2 bull lines on it.

Haven't heard of Nerex... looks like tenex.

And that's why I won't climb on rigging lines...looks fine...until...;)

Good pics, the orange one is worrisome, certainly shows why it pays to have an inspection routine!

Its hard to say what happened. I did not see it happened though I saw the set up and load and it looked fine coming down though it was large and bore a good amount of re-action when cut, it was not shocked extensively I thought.
It was noticed when it was taken off afterwards..

Looks like your bull rope was hit by some big log's.
Jeff ;)

if I may.

Starting out I will put this up. Its 3/4 inch Nerex with something of a brummel and used to set a block.

4poplars011.jpg

It was noticed when it was taken off afterwards. This Nerex, which I have used heavily before, is designed to have good stretch and high strength and resilency. The very easy splice was fine. I think you guys can spectulate a little.
Oh, snap! At least it didn't fail completely.

are you sure something didnt "pick" it out? Like, were you working on hickory or hackberry? Those lines pick easy, thats why they wont sell them as drop lines. Hard to tell by pics but looks more like a snag then a break. P.S. treemd where you get that pic of my cat? jk hehe

Last edited:
if I may.

4poplars011.jpg

Did you use a cow-hitch that was a little loose? I've seen hollow braid do that when a yarn gets caught under an adjacent turn. I've seen it on double braid on the GRCS too.

The yard is trapped, tensioning pulls it out of the weave. with thee GRCS you end up with a glob of melted nylon.

if I may.

4poplars011.jpg

Is that from the poplar job we did?

I think it got snagged on something when I lowered it out of the tree to you. It was fine when I untied it from the tree. I remember there was prickers at the base of that tree, my guess is it got snagged on the prickers. That stuuf isn't very durable if it gets pulls in it that easy.

And this one the locking stitch for the splice came undone and the splice slipped out...

I can't figure out what I'm looking at. And end-for-end splice in the middle of an eye?? Where is the splice that slipped out?

Is that from the poplar job we did?

I think it got snagged on something when I lowered it out of the tree to you. It was fine when I untied it from the tree. I remember there was prickers at the base of that tree, my guess is it got snagged on the prickers. That stuuf isn't very durable if it gets pulls in it that easy.

I agree.

Latest posts

Back