Brrrrrrr!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was quoted 11,500 for geo install but if it's going to suck that much juice the return on the system is to far out to offset propane. I'm always going to burn wood even if i get geo. I just still enjoy cutting/splittint.
I have a newly installed Water Furnace. It was costly compared to my other options but so far this winter my electric bills have been under $100 per month to heat 2500 square feet plus keep the same sized basement above freezing. I did go with the vertical wells so that surface temperatures should not have much effect and that alone cost an extra couple of thousand to drill. I have no idea what you pay for propane but around here my monthly bills would have been at least 3 times as much for propane. I am in the process of building my new home so I rely entirely on my Water Furnace although I hope to add wood heat to my mix once I am done building. Wood heat will be used for a year or two as emergency heat for power outages only but once I build up a decent supply of wood it will be used to replace some of that Water Furnace heating cost. According to people around here that actually use a geo system, the pay off for the delta is only about 3 years compared to propane, and don't even talk to me about resistance heating.

You're a fool... those numbers in your link are nothing but whitewash.

Centralia City Light is tied into the larger grid (Bonneville Power Administration)... Centralia City Light is just one of many electric producers for Bonneville Power Administration. If Centralia City Light wasn't tied into the larger grid they couldn't produce enough power to supply it's customers block... without Bonneville Power Administration the Centralia customer block would not have power. They get those bogus numbers by subtracting the amount of power Centralia produces from the amount billed to customers, and then take whats left to come up with stupid feel-good tree-hugger numbers.

The plain truth is the Centralia customer block gets it's power comes from the Bonneville Power Administration just like everyone else on the larger grid... but it just so happens that Centralia is also one of the producers for Bonneville Power.
The plain truth is that the percentage of hydro ain't 90.92% like your link states (that's just tree-hugger whitewash)...
The 12 month average is only 40.8%... the combustion of coal and and other fossil fuels (including cogeneration) is 35.2% ‼ You're gettin' the same friggin' dirty power as everyone else in the PNW... only a fool would buy into that tree-hugger whitewash BS.

Here's your link... read all about it...

http://www.bpa.gov/news/pubs/GeneralPublications/gi-BPA-Facts.pdf

Slowp, don't tell me your tellin' big fibs again? Are big fibs a PNW thing?
John

I have a newly installed Water Furnace. It was costly compared to my other options but so far this winter my electric bills have been under $100 per month to heat 2500 square feet plus keep the same sized basement above freezing. I did go with the vertical wells so that surface temperatures should not have much effect and that alone cost an extra couple of thousand to drill. I have no idea what you pay for propane but around here my monthly bills would have been at least 3 times as much for propane. I am in the process of building my new home so I rely entirely on my Water Furnace although I hope to add wood heat to my mix once I am done building. Wood heat will be used for a year or two as emergency heat for power outages only but once I build up a decent supply of wood it will be used to replace some of that Water Furnace heating cost. According to people around here that actually use a geo system, the pay off for the delta is only about 3 years compared to propane, and don't even talk to me about resistance heating.
Why not, it's nearly 100% efficient converting electrons to BTUs. :D

100% conversion to heat doesn't mean much when you pay half again as much to buy each BTU. The theoretical best that a modern power plant can do is to convert about 45% of the BTU in coal into electricity. After that you get to deal with line losses and such and are lucky to get 80% of that power out to the end customer. Converting 100% once it gets to my house would mean it only cost twice as much as burning fuel right where the heat is needed if the power company never made a dime and both of us paid the same amount for the raw fuel. A heat pump makes sense for the simple reason that it extracts BTUs from your surroundings and gives you more BTUs than the electricity contains, about 3 times as many, by concentrating them where you need them, indoors.

Latest posts

Back