Bucket Truck as a Crane ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a good chuckle from visualizing that! I'm glad you kept at least one foot in, but your gonads may not have felt the same way about it.

Technically, I don't think you were ejected. That sounds more like abandonment to me. I'll bet that was about the last time you did that with a bucket, eh?

The most I ever did was use the bucket to push logs off the spar. Even that wasn't really any fun. My old bucket truck was so decrepit, you just didn't dare break any rules with it.

Last edited:
These poles are called "Stobie poles" after the guy that invented them.
they come from the state of south australia the driest state in the driest continent in the world. they don't have enough trees localy to make utility poles.

The "stobie" poles are fireproof, rotproof, and termiteproof. They are also "car proof", causing enormous amounts of damage to vehicles.

Stobie pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These poles are called "Stobie poles" after the guy that invented them.
they come from the state of south australia the driest state in the driest continent in the world. they don't have enough trees localy to make utility poles.

The "stobie" poles are fireproof, rotproof, and termiteproof. They are also "car proof", causing enormous amounts of damage to vehicles.

Stobie pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

STOBIE......Australian for pole.

I got ejected out of the bucket one time years ago. it was on a large pine tree i had topped out and was blocking down the spar. i put downwards pressure with the bucket on a small dead limb to break it off. The limb did not break and i continued to cut the spar. when i got about halfway through the cut that limb snapped off and the bucket dropped out from under me so fast that i was 10 feet in the air above it and fell down into the bucket with one leg in and one leg out! i stay tied into the boom at all times but damn that was scarry ****. it happened so fast that i thought the boom had broken off the truck for a moment...
:crazy1:

That is funny....like something out of looney tunes where you're suspended in the air for a moment with just enough time to whip out a sign before you fall.....lol!

No pain involved just info

I was going to give a long story that you likely would not have read. Instead I will say this. My father was a boilermaker for TVA, The weakness is not the welds but the metal close to it that recived heat and therefore changed temperment. Weight ratings are not just pulled out of the air. They may save your life.

I will try to post a copy of this was not in its on thread

[Hi my name is tammy, my husband jerry (aka) squirrel flew up out of a bucket truck september 6,2011 he died on september8,2011 at osu hospital i pray that no family should endure what his family and i had to endure he had two broken legs,a broken shoulder a broken arm a broken neck and they removed the bone from his brain because he went straight onto concrete on his head his lungs collapsed and his kidneys shut down and he passed away on september8,2011 he was one of the best tree climbers around he was 41 i wish there was more being done to keep the climbers safe we are loosing to many good men to trees, trees were my husbands life he died doing what he loved that is for sure he is dearly missed from people every where to my husband you were the best the tree men will never forget squirrel they just forgot about the family you left behind. R.i.p jerry radford jr.(aka)squirrel 4/3/1970-9/8/2011 Share
Share this post on
DiggDel.icio.usTechnoratiTwitter|
Likejustme23005 likes this./B]

My condolences too

Is that the same guy that's on here, named squirrel? I hope not.

My condolences as well

Is that the same guy that's on here, named squirrel? I hope not.

My condolences as well

Was posted by missjerryratford I think couldnt make a link cause was on another thread on bucket truck fatality, Ill look again for link,

here is another one from OSHA

http://www.arboristsite.com/arboricultural-injuries-fatalities/183617.htm#post3236881
post #9 I think,

2011 - 10/05/2011 - US Department of Labor's OSHA cites Alabama tree trimming company for safety and health violations following fatality
Paul

Last edited:
In case you are tempted to try it think on this one: A local tree service here was moving logs or really large rounds depending how you call it. Rope broke. HEavy log fell. Bucket now turned into a catapult. Chucked the operator way up and out (no safety harness either) killed him dead in the third impact. First one put him into a nearby tree 20 some feet away, second he hit some big limbs on the way down. Third was he landed on his head on blacktop.

Do you mind if I send your post to Myth Busters?

Do you mind if I send your post to Myth Busters?

Honestly dude I dont know why you would make lite of someone dying... If you read the fatality/injury forum below I am pretty sure that incident he is talking about was in there sometime ago. I dont see it there now I know that was posted and discussed in here. Really man use your head.

Honestly dude I dont know why you would make lite of someone dying... If you read the fatality/injury forum below I am pretty sure that incident he is talking about was in there sometime ago. I dont see it there now I know that was posted and discussed in here. Really man use your head.

I'm not making light of anyone dying man, I'm not even saying that the guy didn't die. I'm just saying that it seems far fetched to me that someone could be ejected that far out of a bucket and in the manner described is all.

I'm mean it's bucket truck, not a trebuchet.

I've operated bucket trucks that actually have the winch built into them, but most of the time I considered it to be a PITA because it always got in the way and made it harder to get into tight places.

its useful if you don't have a skidloader or grapple truck to load logs with tho.

it had weight limitations too, I heard one of the other guys that had run it had blown the hydraulic lines trying to load a log that was way to heavy for it.

Back