Bucket truck failures ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone steer me to a list of bucket truck failures brands models etc....or if there has been any on the older orange ones???

I have done some research on this, I found that every single brand has failures, every failure was do to operator error or lack of maintenance, as for what ones are safer, none, they all have to meet very serous standards, so they are all safe, as long as u know the history of the truck and have it inspected, u should be good. Most boom failure are do to operators banging them around and putting too much torque on the main bearing, smashing the bucket into stuff, messing the mount up and creating cracks in the welds. The one maintenance thing that most guys do not due is check the main bearing bolts, 22 of them, on most models, they have to be torqued to 550lbs or around that depending on manufacturer. I had to buy one of those great big torque wrenches from snap on. I check them every couple of months for bearing slap. It is a PITA doing it, but it is you that it is holding! As I was typing this, just realized I need to do it myself, been a bit since last check, now I know what I get to do today!

I have done some research on this, I found that every single brand has failures, every failure was do to operator error or lack of maintenance, as for what ones are safer, none, they all have to meet very serous standards, so they are all safe, as long as u know the history of the truck and have it inspected, u should be good. Most boom failure are do to operators banging them around and putting too much torque on the main bearing, smashing the bucket into stuff, messing the mount up and creating cracks in the welds. The one maintenance thing that most guys do not due is check the main bearing bolts, 22 of them, on most models, they have to be torqued to 550lbs or around that depending on manufacturer. I had to buy one of those great big torque wrenches from snap on. I check them every couple of months for bearing slap. It is a PITA doing it, but it is you that it is holding! As I was typing this, just realized I need to do it myself, been a bit since last check, now I know what I get to do today!

Dont yours have wire weaving them together? My boom is an altec 3on a 93 f700 in case youve heard anything on that model id appreciate the info!

We had our bucket ţruck break at the weld on our LOWER Altec boom.the last structural integrity check was 04/2020. It's a miracle no one was killed. And before you ask the only weight in the boom was one cutter. Just about trim a palm when it happened

Back