bucking/felling spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'll start off by saying i like this site. I'm new here and i've been viewing time to time for a year or so. My question is: what is the advantage of using felling dogs/spikes...on the clutch side cover as i see with the serious boys. any advantage to use on mid sized saws, besides they look killer!

Welcome, and this link below should answer everything you want to know about spikes/dogs, droopys and a whole lot more. This thread was created with the same question you just asked.

droopy3.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=56509&highlight=spikes

Last edited:
thanks for the link, but my question is why do people use double spikes on the larger saws? is there that much issue with getting a good grip or does it help you stay straighter in the cut. I have a problem with not cutting all that straight at times, with this help with running a double dawg setup?

I like them because it's way easier to cut a stump off. With the roots flairing out the base of the stump, the inside spike often can't reach the wood to get any bit. An outer spike fixes that. I don't believe they'll help you cut straighter. That's a function of your bar and chain. Oh...they look cool too:clap:

thanks for the link, but my question is why do people use double spikes on the larger saws? is there that much issue with getting a good grip or does it help you stay straighter in the cut. I have a problem with not cutting all that straight at times, with this help with running a double dawg setup?

In an answer.............it can in some situations. Dealing with root flares when flushing stumps, thick barked species, making good face cuts(the first time with only two cuts), working on slopes, deeply fluted bark, flared/irregular stems, crotchy big wood are some of the situations I can think of where they assist. Are they "necessary"? No, but I have them on more than half my saws. Not all are the oversized big, dawgs the PNW guys use but I don't generally have the thick bark issues they have.

If you are cutting at an angle, it helps to have them on both sides so at least one side is always grabbing even if the other side won't reach.

2007-10-09017-1.jpg

Search for "felling spikes" or "dawgs" and you will find hours worth of fun reading
There also might be some talk about wrap handles in there too.

I just think they look cool. Actually I cut alot of stumps they help get a nice straight cut started. Heres my new 460 with dp cover and big spike kit.:)
spikes.jpg

I put some 066 big dogs on my 044 and will never go back. I have to be careful not to push the saw hard into the wood but it makes a world of difference.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Great for getting straight rips.

Last edited:
To make a long story short, without dawgs you have to push down on the saw with both hands to get the bar and chain in the cut and hold it in the cut.

With dawgs, you set them into the log, stump, tree, whatever and now you have a 'fulcrum' or pivot point from which you can now lift up on the handle grip and leverage the bar and chain down into the cut. Sometimes you can even use one hand, and scratch your nose with the other one if it itches. :clap:

Last edited:
yep ya'll convinced me i need a bigger saw. I don't think i will find a set for a ms310. I actually have a pair for a 046 and they fit the 310 but they don't actually line up from one side to the other.And that just would seem to defeat the purpose. so if you know something i don't give me some part numbers. I don't need them but that would accont for most of the stuff i own!

Latest posts

Back