Bucking pine up with MS-441 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah its not a manufacturer specific thing. Do you think Honda dealers mislead uneducated consumers? Or is it more general and all salesmen have the potential to mislead uneducated consumers?

Part of the blame goes on you and part of the blame goes on the dealer. I have no idea how much you conveyed to your dealer on how much wood your going to be cutting, what kind a saw you needed, that you wanted a pro saw, etc. If you go through life relying on salesmen to determine the products that will best suit your needs you'll will end up with a whole herd of dud purchases. I guess your lucky that this purchase was a reletively low $ lesson. Since your so computer savvy, you could have listed that 029 on ebay shortly after you discovered it didn't suit your needs, and you would have gotten near retail for it.

Andrew,

Your genius shines through again! Is there and Echo in here?

In 1994, I had a smaller Stihl and decided I needed a bigger saw. Several of us were cutting firewood and distributing it to low-income families. My buddy had an 026, so I went down to my Stihl dealer on a Friday afternoon and bought an 026. I put it in the truck, waiting for the Saturday morning cutting. Well, Friday night, I out foxed myself. I decided that if my buddy had an 026, why don't I get a saw one size bigger? Yeah, that's the ticket. I was there on Saturday morning when the Stihl dealer opened and told him I wanted the next size larger saw. I laid $125 and my 026 on the counter and got a ........ 029. True story. The least he could have done is offered me a cigarette when he'd finished with me.

I always figured that when you went to a Stihl dealership, that they would take care of you. Oh, that dealer is now out of business, but I can't say that the others I've used are any better. You live and learn. I've drunk the Stihl Kool-Aid and it made me sick.

Joat

Well, here's my original post on the matter. I guess the "caveat emptor" is the saying that sums up your take on this incident. I asked for A SPECIFIC SAW. I took it home Friday afternoon and decided to get a larger saw in order to compliment the saw I was always cutting with. So, I was in the parking lot when they opened on Saturday morning. I was going to cut that day. I explained the situation and to paraphrase it, I asked for THE NEXT LARGER SIZE SAW. Due diligence on my part? Perhaps not. However, I do not think you'll find a post where I considered myself blameless in this matter.

My points remain:

1. You just can't trust the dealer.

2. If you must do ALL research and take extreme caution, buying from a local retail store doesn't appear to offer any significant advantage over buying from the net.

Though we disagree, I remain truly yours,

Joat

Tommie is a class act

Hey hey, you come on up here, I may have one in the shed for Free,hmmmm, what size you looking for, I think I know where they can be had dirt cheap,hehe..

Tommie, thanks.

Folks, this week, Tommie and I have been on opposite sides of several issues. Notice:

1. Tommie didn't get mad or hold a grudge.
2. Tommie didn't name call.
3. Tommie didn't hide, he answered the challenges.

I've spared with a few folks on here, or maybe just made a little off-handed comment at their expense, and BOOM, my private message box is full of crying and whining. I usually delete the offending post and move on. Yep, some are pretty good at giving it, but poor at taking it. You know who you are. If you're not certain, then ask someone. The whiners can take a lesson from Tommie.

This message is not meant to harm any person, living or dead, real or fictitious, but is intended soley as a public service to help AS members improve their posting skills.

Joat

Last edited:
1. You just can't trust the dealer.
You potentially came across a bad dealer and that is probably why he isn't still in business. Does that mean there is isn't any straight shooting trusting dealers out there? No

2. If you must do ALL research and take extreme caution, buying from a local retail store doesn't appear to offer any significant advantage over buying from the net.

Though we disagree, I remain truly yours,

Joat
If they are a trustworthy dealer and you have a good relationship with them are there advantages to buying one over the net? Yes I believe so. Are these significant advantages? Well I guess thats dependent on how much value you put on local service, local parts availibility, etc. and other items discussed many times over on AS.

You potentially came across a bad dealer and that is probably why he isn't still in business. Does that mean there is isn't any straight shooting trusting dealers out there? No

If they are a trustworthy dealer and you have a good relationship with them are there advantages to buying one over the net? Yes I believe so. Are these significant advantages? Well I guess thats dependent on how much value you put on local service, local parts availibility, etc. and other items discussed many times over on AS.

I don't believe I ever said all dealers are bad because of my anecdotal evidence. Again, I don't believe it's wise to blindly trust. If you must do independent research, then why reward the dealer that didn't really help but was merely an order taker?

Now, at my current Stihl dealership, they wanted a rookie to read to me from a catalog when I was looking at saws. The "expert" didn't want to be bothered with me. Last time I had my mower there for service, I took it back after waiting 2 1/2 weeks because I'm not a "pro".

Hey, if I lived in the DC metro area, I go to Perry's, drink a cup of tepid Folgers and buy a saw. No question.

BTW, I'm not on a mission here, I was just relating a story. Andrew made a brilliant post and I responded by telling this store. No ajenda. Just a true story.

I really don't care where anyone buys their saw. Just stay outta my garage.

May good fortune be your companion all the days of your life,

Joat

Last edited:
I don't believe I ever said all dealers are bad because of my anecdotal evidence. Again, I don't believe it's wise to blindly trust. If you must do independent research, then why reward the dealers that didn't really help but was merely an order taker?

Now, at my current Stuihl dealership, they wanted a rookie to read to me from a catalog when I was looking at saws. The "expert" didn't want to be bothered with me. Last time I had my mower there for service, I took it back after waiting 2 1/2 weeks because I'm not a "pro".

Hey, if I lived in the DC metro area, I go to Perry's, drink a cup of tepid Folgers and but a saw. No question.

BTW, I'm not on a mission here, I was just relating a story. Andrew made a brilliant post and I responded by telling this store. No ajenda. Just a true story.

Joat

What all ya got in that garage that you don't want anyone in there. You growing wacky weed in there, come on spill da beans. I need a inventory now , the OMB is requesting a in vest ter gation so hurry,LOL

What all ya got in that garage that you don't want anyone in there. You growing wacky weed in there, come on spill da beans. I need a inventory now , the OMB is requesting a in vest ter gation so hurry,LOL

Tommie, er Mr. Prez,

I'm on your team, I'm in politics, so I'm above the law! Right? Isn't that how it works?

Joat

Tommie, er Mr. Prez,

I'm on your team, I'm in politics, so I'm above the law! Right? Isn't that how it works?

Joat

Damn it to hell Joat don't give me that ole Cheney non-sense, I wanna know whatcha got in that garage. Even the Pres should relax and maybe get alittle high since I'm under all this here pressure all the time. So tell me, how big are the plants and would ya mind helping out ya ole Pres, could be another $50,000 on your yearly salary,hmmmmmmmmmm

Damn it to hell Joat don't give me that ole Cheney non-sense, I wanna know whatcha got in that garage. Even the Pres should relax and maybe get alittle high since I'm under all this here pressure all the time. So tell me, how big are the plants and would ya mind helping out ya ole Pres, could be another $50,000 on your yearly salary,hmmmmmmmmmm

Prez,

I'm just high on life, espresso and Ultra mix.

Joat

That video should be in the joke section he should at least learn how to ream properly.Better yet carry wedges.

I don't believe I ever said all dealers are bad because of my anecdotal evidence. Again, I don't believe it's wise to blindly trust. If you must do independent research, then why reward the dealer that didn't really help but was merely an order taker?

Now, at my current Stihl dealership, they wanted a rookie to read to me from a catalog when I was looking at saws. The "expert" didn't want to be bothered with me. Last time I had my mower there for service, I took it back after waiting 2 1/2 weeks because I'm not a "pro".

Hey, if I lived in the DC metro area, I go to Perry's, drink a cup of tepid Folgers and but a saw. No question.

Joat

I can understand your points and your stories do offer enlightenment to the discussion. My point is yes there is probably bad dealers out there whether it be stihl, husky, honda, ford, etc, but there are also good ones. If you have the choice of dealing with a dealer like you mentioned in your examples or else buying online...then no there isn't too much of a difference between the two. The quality of the services that the local dealer offers are probably going to be subpar also. If you do some product research before going into a dealer, your going to be able to better judge the quality of the dealer your dealing with. This will lessen the likelihood of getting stung with a product your not satisfied with.

Most of the people that come on here asking which saw to buy are generally people with little to no saw experience. In my opinion, these people would greatly benefit with dealing with a "good" local dealer whether it be for picking the saw, saw safety, answering dumb ?'s, etc.

Last edited:
It seems strange to me that the guy drove a wedge to keep the tree from sitting on his saw in the back cut when he was felling, yet he could not see the gap closing on the bar when he was bucking. He seemed to get it pinched EVERY time.

Also, couldn't he have given his eventually-felled tree a stout push (in addition to the wedge-banging) before he cut completely through the hinge? I'm certainly no expert, but I think he got really lucky.

I can understand your points and your stories do offer enlightenment to the discussion. My point is yes there is probably bad dealers out there whether it be stihl, husky, honda, ford, etc, but there are also good ones. If you have the choice of dealing with a dealer like you mentioned in your examples or else buying online...then no there isn't too much of a difference between the two. The quality of the services that the local dealer offers are probably going to be subpar also. If you do some product research before going into a dealer, your going to be able to better judge the quality of the dealer your dealing with. This will lessen the likelihood of getting stung with a product your not satisfied with.

Most of the people that come on here asking which saw to buy are generally people with little to no saw experience. In my opinion, these people would greatly benefit with dealing with a "good" local dealer whether it be for picking the saw, saw safety, answering dumb ?'s, etc.

Ah, the age old problem of separating the wheat from the chaff. Trouble is, why you get the chaff, it's too late.

Peace,

Joat

Take it easy on the guy, how many of you were pros the first time you picked up a saw? You learn from experience. He sure could use some advice, and he's asking for it, too.:)

True,

There is a place there to rate the video. I think me may have been wanting a critique. Pretty good chance he's been on this site I would think.

So fess up fellas....who's videos are those? :) :popcorn:

Back