Bucking Small Logs - See Diagrams

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly Hermit, life is a #####. If you want to do something right you need the gear and the know how to use it. If you can't pack #### in then I suggest you stay home. You have no buisness being out there. What is this trail for anyway? Also you are not bucking for a prefered length so you can cut it anywhere. Small logs away from the highest point of tension. If you really want to cut it in the middle. Buck off the far side first that way you don't have the gut of the bar in the finishing cut (less bar to pinch), then come down from the top on your side, WOT. You're going to have to do some reaming when the kerf starts to close. It will either get tight and you'll have to pull out quick or it will stay loose and you can progress. If it tightens up you'll have to bore, which you may have to repeat depending on how far down you have gotten. Underbuck the last holding wood to finish, slightly offset of the log thats going to fall. Make sure you have cleared your entire work area first so if the log does swing at you you might have a chance to get out of the way. Stand up hill when releasing. This way you don't have to pack in those heavy wedges. It sounds like you have a lot to learn before doing this and you need to come with an open mind. Lighten up Francis, and you might learn something.

I see what you mean, some quite nasty too.

Its not nasty. These guys are veterans of the woods, "the last of a dying breed" if you will. They have seen a lot of people get busted up/killed/maimed/loss of limb etc. They just dont want to see it happen to you, and have a casualty weigh heavy on their conscience because they didnt get thru to you how dangerous it is. They are pragmatic with thier wording because they want to convey the severity of the consequences as bluntly as possible.

A few guys in this forum have more time on the saw, and in the brush than the rest of the members combined. They know thier stuff. Heed the warnings. When you dont, they get agitated, and as you can tell by the replies, they become more blunt. Trust me, it will get to the point to where the majority will say say, "Go fly a kite, and do what ever you want."

Best of luck.

Its not nasty. These guys are veterans of the woods, "the last of a dying breed" if you will. They have seen a lot of people get busted up/killed/maimed/loss of limb etc. They just dont want to see it happen to you, and have a casualty weigh heavy on their conscience because they didnt get thru to you how dangerous it is. They are pragmatic with thier wording because they want to convey the severity of the consequences as bluntly as possible.

A few guys in this forum have more time on the saw, and in the brush than the rest of the members combined. They know thier stuff. Heed the warnings. When you dont, they get agitated, and as you can tell by the replies, they become more blunt. Trust me, it will get to the point to where the majority will say say, "Go fly a kite, and do what ever you want."

Best of luck.

Well said. When advice is asked for, and then argued with, and then ignored...no more advice is given. I'm done with it.

A few guys in this forum have more time on the saw, and in the brush than the rest of the members combined. They know thier stuff. Heed the warnings. When you dont, they get agitated, and as you can tell by the replies, they become more blunt.

The degree, breadth, and quality of experience collected on this board is unrivaled anywhere in the world. We have folks practicing forest trades from all over the globe weighing in with their hard-won knowledge. To disregard advice found here is to disregard the best advice to be found anywhere. The willingness this board's members show in helping each other, from the greenest to the mossiest-backed, is unheard-of. To all who come here asking questions, esp. the OP, I suggest that you listen to the answers. They are not lip-flapping braggardry (we have threads for that, too, of course).

TL; DR? Short version: if yer gonna ask a question, you best be ready for the answer.

And, those who work in the woods tend to be blunt. It is not a bad thing. A misunderstanding can get somebody killed or maimed.

Ooooh, I sound like the Axmen narrator.

A hooktender said this to his helper as he left him alone for a while.

"If you have any questions, don't do it." That is excellent advice.

Another good quote from an old time side-rod..."I'd rather piss you off than pack you out".

When people come to the Forestry and Logging threads they should consider who they're dealing with. It's kind of like walking into a logger's bar or cafe...or maybe an old time saw shop. The rules are different here. And they're different for a reason.
Being a logger doesn't automatically give us any special right to be rude or insulting and, for the most part, we're not. We live in a direct world, a world of absolutes and consequences. Living and working as we do hones a direct character and our directness is often mistaken for hostility. It's not. Not in every case, anyway. It's just that we have neither the time or inclination to suffer fools.
If someone posts a question there's a wealth of knowledge and experience available here. If you added up all the years of actual logging experience of all of our members who've made a living in the woods I think the total would be well into the hundreds. That's quite a knowledge base to be able to draw from.
When we're asked for our opinion or advice it's given in the spirit of trying to keep people safe and productive. Several of our members take great pains to be helpful, encouraging, and informative.
But when our advice is argued with, ridiculed, or outright ignored we tend to react in a manner as direct as our advice.
Maybe we lack a little in people skills as defined by the majority of society but if we're asked something our reply is honest and based on actual experience. A lot of our experience has been gathered through mistakes...ours and others. Some people didn't survive their mistakes and those are the ones we remember most.
If you're thin-skinned and emotionally delicate maybe the Homeowner threads might be a better place to ask your questions. The information you get won't be as good as you get here and some of it will be be useless and outright dangerous. But they probably won't hurt your feelings, either.
If you want the real deal, ask your questions here.

Last edited:
My old high school wrestling coach said, "The hardest thing in the world to do is think and wrestle at the same time". I try to remember that and take a step back and rethink "what will happen next".

It can be tough to picture a chain of events. You do something without thinking it through, before hand, you might be crippled or dead. Experience plays a large part, being willing to listen and learn from those who been there, done that and have the scars to prove it, can save you from getting those same scars.

Another good quote from an old time side-rod..."I'd rather piss you off than pack you out".

When people come to the Forestry and Logging threads they should consider who they're dealing with. It's kind of like walking into a logger's bar or cafe...or maybe an old time saw shop. The rules are different here. And they're different for a reason.
Being a logger doesn't automatically give us any special right to be rude or insulting and, for the most part, we're not. We live in a direct world, a world of absolutes and consequences. Living and working as we do hones a direct character and our directness is often mistaken for hostility. It's not. Not in every case, anyway. It's just that we have neither the time or inclination to suffer fools.
If someone posts a question there's a wealth of knowledge and experience available here. If you added up all the years of actual logging experience of all of our members who've made a living in the woods I think the total would be well into the hundreds. That's quite a knowledge base to be able to draw from.
When we're asked for our opinion or advice it's given in the spirit of trying to keep people safe and productive. Several of our members take great pains to be helpful, encouraging, and informative.
But when our advice is argued with, ridiculed, or outright ignored we tend to react in a manner as direct as our advice.
Maybe we lack a little in people skills as defined by the majority of society but if we're asked something our reply is honest and based on actual experience. A lot of our experience has been gathered through mistakes...ours and others. Some people didn't survive their mistakes and those are the ones we remember most.
If you're thin-skinned and emotionally delicate maybe the Homeowner threads might be a better place to ask your questions. The information you get won't be as good as you get here and some of it will be be useless and outright dangerous. But they probably won't hurt your feelings, either.

This ought to be a sticky. How do you buy one?

Bob, it's not just this quote, but you truly are the Voice of Reason. Respect.

I'm still trying to figure this out. Why is someone going a mile into the woods to cut wood? How are you going to get the wood back? Are you practicing cutting techniques? Did i miss something? Someone please straighten me out.:msp_confused:

If that root wad leisurely setting upright was scary for you, you better heed the advice & keep your ace at home because wood moves a lot faster than that!

Mother earth gravity will accelerate a chunk of wood faster than top fuel dragster over the 1st 30 feet or less than 1 second, try not to be that wrong spot.

Back