Bud worm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gohammergo

Reaction score
Hello All,
Found this site while looking for information on some trees on my property.

So, apparently I have issues with what I believe is called "bud worm". I'm sure members here know what it is. I have an area that is approx 2-3 acres that is basically a circle surrounded by a road. A lot of the balsam trees in the circle are dying and many are dead. There are also a lot of healthy looking trees yet.

I was told that I should get rid of the dead trees and the obvious dying ones. My question is how to get rid of these trees. I figured n using the wood for firewood, but need advice on the branches.

1) Cut the tree down and skid tree and branches to a landing, de-branch there and burn the brush?
2) If I cut the tree down, de-branch and just drag the tree out, will the worms spread if the branches are off the tree and just laying in the woods?
3) Will just the action of cutting the tree down spread the worms, just by virtue of the tree falling?

If the questions don't make sense, what would you do if you had a situation like this? The area is pretty thick with balsam, which I have come to understand is part of the problem. I have no great love for the balsam, they look nice when healthy, but not so good when gray and dying.

My goal, if possible, is to remove the dead and dying trees and save the healthy ones that are left. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Location is Upper Michigan.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I can get some pics of the damage, but the insect is very tiny.

This is affecting my balsam trees and a few spruce. I believe the problem is called "spruce budworm". It's not bothering any trees other than the ones listed.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I think I miss read your post. Your wrote Balsam & I was thinking Aspen.

The larvae over winter under bark scales, removing of dead & dieing trees is a good idea. Yes, burn or chip up the brush.

Chemical controls in June & July will control larvae on new growth.

Back