Buddies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This past weekend I had a good buddy from home stay with me for the weekend. He is in Fort Worth, TX for 3 weeks for some work related schooling (he oversees helicopter mechanic work in Canada). So as he has done for the past 2 years, he came out to the house to visit my family and I. Saturday afternoon we were outside walking around the yard and looking at my wood piles/stacks. He lives on an acreage and burns a little wood also. So out of nowhere he suggests that we split some of my wood. Of course I say "no" because he is here to visit and relax from his classes...not to work. But he persists, and I keep on countering with "no" and my reasons. Well he goes over to the splitter and starts to take off the tarp and is going to start the engine. I give in grudgingly (seriously), the wood splitting is my job for later. There's a small pile of older Oak so I say we'll do it quick. Well that's not good enough for him...he points to another pile and says let do it. An hour later, we stop and I am about to put stuff away...but no he wants to go for another hour. About 45 mins. later I put my foot down and say it is enough, after we get through another pile of old Oak. I just wanted to post this cause he really wanted to help me out with my wood (and he did more than just run the splitter lever) and I really appreciate him for his efforts. He has always been a great friend and I wish we didn't live so far apart so we could cut and work wood together. He's got 4 kids, with the youngest being about a year younger than my little girl. It would be nice to have our families grow together. There are a bunch more I could say about my buddy...but you guys who have a friend/buddy such as mine know what I'm talking about. To top it off, I was going to at least buy him lunch after church Sunday afternoon, but in the restaurant he pulled the "where's the bathroom, I'll be back" trick (and I didn't catch it, he knows I'd almost fight him physically to stop him from paying for my lunch :) ). He sneaks around to our waitress and has the lunch ticket given to him (for our table, 7 of us) to pay for. What a guy.

Here's a couple pictures of what we got accomplished. I'm sure some of you could split more wood in the time we did for this pile (faster splitter, more efficient work and so on), but it sure helped me.

Kevin

He sounds like a good friend Kevin. Me and one of my friends are splitting wood for another friend who is away at his mothers funeral. When he comes home his wood will all be split and stacked in his wood shed.

That's what I'm talkin' bout'! :clap:

Kevin

edit: tried to rep ya...but no go...:angry:

Last edited:
Yep, its hard to beat good friends.

Ive got two pretty good ones and a similar story. This is my second year on wood only. All fall and winter I told these two friends how much fun Ive had running saws and cutting wood. (Long story short) They go out and buy pro level saws, neither of them burn wood. They really got into cutting wood and running saws. This summer they came up with their saws and cut about 4 cords worth of wood with my dad and I, just for something to do!

Working wood is a great way to spend time with your buddies, that is for sure!

Yeeip ! theres a good friend for you.

Taking the break at your place was probably quite relaxing even if he was working. The two of you working together was the balance he needed that weekend after classes.

He was showing his appreciation for your hospitality and opening your home to him. Every time you fill your stove or run that splitter you will remember his stay. Every time he tech's a craft that he studied during that time he will have some good memories of his stay too.

Good times !

Yeeip ! theres a good friend for you.

Taking the break at your place was probably quite relaxing even if he was working. The two of you working together was the balance he needed that weekend after classes.

He was showing his appreciation for your hospitality and opening your home to him. Every time you fill your stove or run that splitter you will remember his stay. Every time he tech's a craft that he studied during that time he will have some good memories of his stay too.

Good times !

Hadn't quite thought all that into it, but I agree. Nicely put.

Kevin

It was that or he was bored sensless. LOL

Seriously , I think the guys here are right , there is a true friend.
The kind that won't just loan you a shovel and their keys, they will drive and bring an extra shovel so it goes faster.

This is how I got into cutting wood. Helping a good friend of mine out cutting firewood for his house. I hated to see him cutting alone, so I always went out to the woods with him. Now I've got 3 saws :buttkick:

It was that or he was bored sensless. LOL

Seriously , I think the guys here are right , there is a true friend.
The kind that won't just loan you a shovel and their keys, they will drive and bring an extra shovel so it goes faster.

Yep, great guy with one fault....he runs a Husky :) (55 Rancher I think)...I'm joking!!! I don't want to start another brand war :rolleyes: . He likes GM products, and I'm happy with my Ford. He shoots a Matthews bow, I shoot a PSE bow. He's still my buddy :) .

Kevin

Splitting and working with wood is great stress relief. Maybe he just needs something physical to do to take his mind off of classroom stuff. I found it helped me deal with heavy academic stuff in high school.

Splitting and working with wood is great stress relief. Maybe he just needs something physical to do to take his mind off of classroom stuff. I found it helped me deal with heavy academic stuff in high school.

Maybe so...but he said himself that he likes splitting, and he's that type of guy to lend a hand. I had told him the only wood work we could do is to go and cut some wood (cutting is always fun :) )...and we did go down the road and made a few cuts with my 044 on a top that I wasn't sure if it was an Oak or not.

Kevin

You know, these two quotes sum up what I was thinking:
...Taking the break at your place was probably quite relaxing even if he was working. The two of you working together was the balance he needed that weekend after classes.

He was showing his appreciation for your hospitality and opening your home to him. Every time you fill your stove or run that splitter you will remember his stay. Every time he tech's a craft that he studied during that time he will have some good memories of his stay too...

I would have been much more relaxed splitting wood than just sitting around "relaxing". That's something that I'm not very good at - I would much rather be doing something, especially something productive. It doesn't have to be a big job but I can only sit and talk for a short while before I NEED to move.

I know, my wiring is messed up.

You know, these two quotes sum up what I was thinking:

I would have been much more relaxed splitting wood than just sitting around "relaxing". That's something that I'm not very good at - I would much rather be doing something, especially something productive. It doesn't have to be a big job but I can only sit and talk for a short while before I NEED to move.

I know, my wiring is messed up.

Actually, I'm kinda that way. I'll lend a hand whenever I can. I too can only sit around for so long. If I'm trying to "relax", I'll fall asleep. When I was back home, I used to take a week of my vacation time and go to the country to "work" on a friends farm...driving grain trucks, hauling combines, running combines and swathers, harrowing and whatever else needed doing. I never intended to get paid...but the friend always insisted. Actually one time the friend almost ran me off the road (not really) to stop me so he could write me a check before I left to go back home :) .

Kevin

Back