build off challange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
???????? two bar & Chain classes

Why not have the big bar class if its decided to go that way using stock off the same roll chain???? 40"oak????

we can build the loops @ the location

then have a class with no chain restrictions in smaller cants w/shorter bars

I'm just sayin,,,, if a 18" race chain cost 200.00 what will a 41-42" one tie up?????

I enjoy the knowledge many builders and racers have to offer. I also respect what many of them can do and how hard they've work to get to where they are. With that said I do not care for the attitudes and overly competitive nature that seems to fallow many racers, and saw racing in general. I've said this many times publicly and in private. This is a chainsaw forum not a race saw form IMHO. Lets keep things level guys. If you're bored with saws, maybe it's time to pick up a new hobby.

BTW Happy new year!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doing woods port build offs is still a form of chainsaw racing, so how is that any different? It is a competition to see who is faster, correct? Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't see the difference between the two?

BTW Andy, have you ever been to an actual saw race and competed? You seem to be very thick on you're opinion and I think you are speaking blindly on your opinion of the guys that actually do this? Until you do compete against some real racers and their "attitudes" maybe you should actually meet a few of them.

Last edited:
3 seconds in the cut don't prove much for the durability of a saw.

I sure would like to see a "Paris to Dakar" type buildoff. Stick 'em in some 30" Oak and let 'em rip 12 feet.

Would tell you a bunch about the saw and chain eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doing woods port build offs is still a form of chainsaw racing, so how is that any different? It is a competition to see who is faster, correct? Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't see the difference between the two?

BTW Andy, have you ever been to an actual saw race and competed? You seem to be very thick on you're opinion and I think you are speaking blindly on your opinion of the guys that actually do this? Until you do compete against some real racers and their "attitudes" maybe you should actually meet a few of them.

Many of the posts between race saw builders here on AS fell into the category of 'mad dogs trying bite off each others nuts.' Thankfully we haven't had any Race Saw Builders Wars in a long time.

:ices_rofl: Where is my pom poms, chap stick and my deep throat smiley :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I think it's fun to have friendly competition - but it needs to be kept that way and everyone needs to keep their cool for it to stay a fun process. I dunno if it's ever possible for everyone to play nice especially after the results are public. Some just get bitter about the outcome when they don't like the results. Just gotta keep it fun and not be so serious with the attitude "I've gotta beat everyone". Those who think that way don't seem to understand that if they aren't enough without the W, they'll never be enough with it....

IMO. I like the excitement and Adrenalin rush of head to head, 8x8 or 10x10 cants. Lots of operator skill involved. [video=youtube_share;Tfx4Q16b5bk]http://youtu.be/Tfx4Q16b5bk[/video]

Be interesting to see a 390 build off...but for the typical guy its only relevant with stock chain..woods port...and then whats the definition of win? Combination of speed, fuel usage, vibration & noise pressure, and reliability? How about using milling as the test? LOL

Then the race saw builds melt, the chains dull, and your in the cut long enough to test fuel usage! Build a formula to determine to determine the winner based on time to finish the milling slice, fuel used as measure by refilling the saw.....and if it melts...auto disqualification and failure as a woods port build.

Now that would be interesting to me! I'll provide the wood and the place!

All fun aside, all the woods ported saws in my mind are about real use (vs. cutting nice uniform cants sitting on a spec supports) ..therefore modified chains is BS (Front exit muffler mods too)...as a chain gets sharpened, worn out, stuck in the dirt, new chains get thrown on as the work season goes on, but the saw is a constant, it either works and feels good or it doesn't AND the really loud ones begin to eat at your ears after 10hrs too; even with ear protection. Just a very humble opinion..that's been evolving over the last 10 years or so...

Last edited:
IMO. I like the excitement and Adrenalin rush of head to head, 8x8 or 10x10 cants. Lots of operator skill involved.

I agree with ya there! When it's your turn to go (even if you're a terrible operator like myself) you get one heck of a rush being focused on wanting to have a smooth start and a good run. I don't get the rush because I'm nervous I'll lose and not beat the other competitors - I get it because I wanna have a good run and not screw up. It's almost a self competitiveness - you gotta be satisfied with your performance even though you may be last place. A good run with a smooth start is way more important to me than having the fastest times.

And yeah - being a spectator (while partaking in the racing fun) is cool as hell. Watching the fast guys have their go is mind boggling how friggin' fast they are. Saw races are cool - lotsa kick @$$ saws, lots of fast competitors, a chance to run a saw yourself, beer, food, camping, BSing - I really don't see the down side of a good chainsaw race.

:cheers:

From what I've heard, in NY and other areas as well, is some guys want a Copsey chain cuz it would buy'em a second or more.

How true that is I don't know but that seems to be the buzz from what I've heard.....

Wow a second !!!! That is a lot it must
Have been the buzz!!! Come on guys

I am a little confused about the resistance to another build-off/race, whatever it is. I don't know or care about the specifics of the event, I would have a blast being there. I am pretty new to posting, and never have built a saw, have no interest in building one, just owning one. However, when I go in the woods I need a good saw, a good chain, and I need some operator skills. Seems like we have a wide array of those talents in different combinations on this site. That is why I lurked, why I joined, and why I now post. Sometimes I get sick of running saws, sharpening chains and such, but I like to read other's comments and ideas, see photos, etc. I don't know the history here, but wonder why more are not eager to watch or participate at some level.

I have know Scott and his family for years, and know them to be helpful, patient, and knowledgeable. I am learning there are many on here who have similar traits and abilities. I think it would be great to meet more of you, hear some saws and have a campfire and some adult beverage.

I will bring 100 brats and hot dogs for one meal. I hope I get to meet some of you guys.

-chandler

I guess I should have been a little more detailed about the type of chain race I was suggesting. I wasn't talking about building a race chain -- like the 3 cut wonders.

I have no use for a chain like that, I make work chains. . . I have never built a race chain, and only have an idea of the principles involved. I reckon once I made one, a lot of stuff would become more clear.

So, what I was suggesting was a chain build for a chain that can tackle 2-3 cords of wood before it needs a touch-up. Factory chain leaves a lot of speed on the table, which means a guy can improve a chain for speed advantage, without killing your longevity.

It would be fairly clear what kind of chain was made if it blew the doors off the competition out'a the gate, but was the slowest by the time it had made 20-30 cuts.

There won't be many guys that can participate in a race saw buildoff. A race saw takes a lot more custom fabrication, requiring equipment that most of us don't have. Then there's the fact that most of us don't know what all goes into making a good race saw. I'll watch though:)

So it is a matter of complacency? Do what you know and don't try anything new? I think that is why these have become boring to watch. You know as well as I do you could build a race saw and have access to people that do have the equipment to be honest I think you of all people would love to make one Brad. From what I know of you, you like doing new things.

So it is a matter of complacency? Do what you know and don't try anything new? I think that is why these have become boring to watch. You know as well as I do you could build a race saw and have access to people that do have the equipment to be honest I think you of all people would love to make one Brad. From what I know of you, you like doing new things.

Racein' is Racein',

And sawin' is sawin'.

Back