build off challange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little confused about the resistance to another build-off/race, whatever it is. I don't know or care about the specifics of the event, I would have a blast being there. I am pretty new to posting, and never have built a saw, have no interest in building one, just owning one. However, when I go in the woods I need a good saw, a good chain, and I need some operator skills. Seems like we have a wide array of those talents in different combinations on this site. That is why I lurked, why I joined, and why I now post. Sometimes I get sick of running saws, sharpening chains and such, but I like to read other's comments and ideas, see photos, etc. I don't know the history here, but wonder why more are not eager to watch or participate at some level.

I have know Scott and his family for years, and know them to be helpful, patient, and knowledgeable. I am learning there are many on here who have similar traits and abilities. I think it would be great to meet more of you, hear some saws and have a campfire and some adult beverage.

I will bring 100 brats and hot dogs for one meal. I hope I get to meet some of you guys.

-chandler

Good post! That is how I ended up here as well. For me reading this thread it came off as a little self serving to me. It appears to me that this was done not so much as in good competition but more of a way to promote ones self. From what I can gather I have found there have been some "discussions" between a couple guys and maybe Monkey doesn't feel like he is getting the attention or business he thinks he deserves here and would like to show everyone that he can beat the other builders on a open thread, for that alone I would not participate in it. I wouldn't help anyone promote them self in this manner, there is a reason only a couple builders were called out. I think it is a bit egotistical. I don't know Tree Monkey but he always appeared to be a low key guy until now, not sure what is up with that, must be a sponser thing. I've heard he can build a good saw and so can alot of the other guys like Mastermind, Brad, Eric, Treeslinger and who ever else is doing this. I don't think anyone will participate in this build.

Last edited:
Good post! That is how I ended up here as well. For me reading this thread it came off as a little self serving to me. It appears to me that this was done not so much as in good competition but more of a way to promote ones self. From what I can gather I have found there have been some "discussions" between a couple guys and maybe Monkey doesn't feel like he is getting the attention or business he thinks he deserves here and would like to show everyone that he can beat the other builders on a open thread, for that alone I would not participate in it. I wouldn't help anyone promote them self in this manner, there is a reason only a couple builders were called out. I think it is a bit egotistical. I don't know Tree Monkey but he always appeared to be a low key guy until now, not sure what is up with that, must be a sponser thing. I've heard he can build a good saw and so can alot of the other guys like Mastermind, Brad, Eric, Treeslinger and who ever else is doing this. I don't think anyone will participate in this build.

Glad to hear some perspective. I know for me, the excitement Scott has for saws and working in the woods is contagious. Just about when I am sick of it he gives me a boost, maybe sometimes with a comment that some think is sarcastic, but it makes me think. I am talking about speaking with him face-to-face, which some of you might not have done. His comments, questions, and yes, criticisms make me think. It has helped run my saws better. It is easy for words posted here to appear with an 'edge' that is not intended.

Many mornings when I stop at his shop he is already in the woods, and some nights he is just starting to repair the saws that pile up at his place, and yet he spends 'spare time' on porting saws and helping hacks like me. I think if he took on more work it would be instead of sleeping:). His ol man can run a saw better than most people 30 years younger, or any age for that matter. Great people to be around if you like learning and havin fun. Sometimes Scott dishes it out and sometimes he takes it, but both with a laugh and smile. If I have a bad day in the woods I can stop there and figure out what went wrong, or fix it, or learn how to fix it, as well as have a genuine conversation. I wish some of you guys could know him in person. Just sharing my perspective, and I know there are others.

I will go to any event tree monkey has and have a great time, even if I gotta eat all the brats myself lol

Didn't most of the builders listed just have a 372 build off? How did that turn out and what was the results?

:dizzy:

Here you go guys!!!!!!! Official Results!!!!!!!!!!!

Average time per Oak log,,,,,,, size 18.5" (Log Sizes ranged from 15" to 22" )

Builder/ Owner

#1 Treeslinger 11.338 Cowroy
#2 TreeMonkey 11.408
#3 Komatsuvarna 11.783
#4 Simonizer 11. 916 r2"ed
#5 BSnelling 11.936 Nmurph
#6 Tlandrum 12.098
#7 Mdavelee 12.318 Wendell
#8 Eric Copsey 12.498 Hillbilly22
#9 Mdavelee 12.596
#10 BSnelling 12.849
#11SrCarr52 13.298
#12STUMPHUSKY 13.312 Hedgerow
#13Eric Copsey 13.447
#14TLandrum 13.851 Chris J
#15 STUMPIESTER 13.913 Firefighter
#16 lOGGING22 14.930
#17 Stumpy 15.053
#18 Subhunter 16.114
#19 BarneyRB 16.573
#20 Mweba 22.502 Little Possum

:cheers:

Would any of you build a race car then take it into the woods? I'm too far left coast to run with you, but I'd sure rather see a little more torque and durability required of a build.

Would any of you build a race car then take it into the woods? I'm too far left coast to run with you, but I'd sure rather see a little more torque and durability required of a build.

Sure wood!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_ySmUIyhU3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

why 390?

whats this all about? OP thinks he can build a better 390 than most?

or is it you already have one?

personally id love to see a three saw build.

partner p5000 or similar 0-50cc

660/390 or similar 0-100cc

880/3120 or similar 100+cc

What's even better to watch is how the builders represent themselves. At the end of the day the respect goes to the better person - or at least the one that carries himself the best. It doesn't matter who builds the faster saw in one given shot, it's like any given Sunday.

Looks like Scott's 372 was O.K.

Mark

To say the least,,, it was impressive to watch,,, we used One man ( J.D. an accomplished/experienced Sconie sawyer) who didnt have a dog in the fight/race to run all of the saws,,,

He Made 5 cuts in 5 different oak logs with each saw entered using event supplied factory stihl chain and fuel mix @ 40:1 and to have the top five seperated by just a few hundreds over .5 sec!!! very impressive,,,

Last edited:
im sorry if i'm coming on to strong here. it's not how i ment it. i did say friendly build off in my first post. it's not for money or work. could always use more money,:msp_smile: but don't need more work.

i chose the 390, eric,and parrisw for the sole reason that parris is building one now, eric buit one a short time ago, and i have one coming from paul. i also left it open to anyone else who wanted to join in.

no agenda, thought it would be fun.

i offered a pro sawyer to run the saws. i offered to host a gtg.

i'm open to any ideas that any one has.

what else can i do to make this happen?

im sorry if i'm coming on to strong here. it's not how i ment it. i did say friendly build off in my first post. it's not for money or work. could always use more money,:msp_smile: but don't need more work.

i chose the 390, eric,and parrisw for the sole reason that parris is building one now, eric buit one a short time ago, and i have one coming from paul. i also left it open to anyone else who wanted to join in.

Supply the saws? :hmm3grin2orange:

I have one that I'm thinking about entering it's a bit of a junkyard dog looking saw It took more than one saw to build it and it has a band-aid or two!!!,,, but it doesnt need a flea collar,, I usually build my own for fun,,, it has some mild Port work done and it came with a little compression... it is a good runner,, it is used in commercial tree work & stump grinding and a few private select falling jobs have been done with it...

I'd like to see what it will do... I got relatives in Mn & Wi,,,,, I need to come see anyways

Last edited:
3 seconds in the cut don't prove much for the durability of a saw.

I sure would like to see a "Paris to Dakar" type buildoff. Stick 'em in some 30" Oak and let 'em rip 12 feet.

Would tell you a bunch about the saw and chain eh?

Dude - "Hey, Stumpy. Mind if I file the action on your gun?"

Stumpy - "Shoot NO, I don't want no wizzypoo! Might hurt myself..."

Fun to watch whatever, back to my popcorn.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Brad just built a 390 as well. I've never even seen one.........yet. :laugh:

I've heard nothing but good things about Scott and his work. Grandpatractor speaks very highly of him.

I would love to be able to make it to a GTG up there with you fellers.......heck, I just like GTGs. ;)

So it is a matter of complacency? Do what you know and don't try anything new? I think that is why these have become boring to watch. You know as well as I do you could build a race saw and have access to people that do have the equipment to be honest I think you of all people would love to make one Brad. From what I know of you, you like doing new things.
The thing of that is, a MAJOR portion of building a race saw requires custom fabrication. I have basically none of those tools or skills. I don't get any satisfaction from having someone else do the majority of the work. That's no comment on Nik either. He's far more than capable of doing the work. If I had the tools in my garage, and the time to do it, it might be a different story.

Brad just built a 390 as well.
Mine's currently back apart getting the squish band cut. I ported it with this in mind, so shouldn't need to touch the ports.

The thing of that is, a MAJOR portion of building a race saw requires custom fabrication. I have basically none of those tools or skills. I don't get any satisfaction from having someone else do the majority of the work. That's no comment on Nik either. He's far more than capable of doing the work. If I had the tools in my garage, and the time to do it, it might be a different story.

Mine's currently back apart getting the squish band cut. I ported it with this in mind, so shouldn't need to touch the ports.

This is in good fun, but the highlighted comments kinda clashed and made me laugh!

Latest posts

Back