Building a 394 or 395 for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_full

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Last week I picked up an Alaskan MKIII and a 36" Stihl es bar (I have the stihl to husky adaptors) with 2 milling chains and 4 rsf chains. Found it on CL.

I have a 394 and a 395 that are already case split and all new parts are in the box with the carcasses. Just waiting for time to put them together.

Question is, since they are a complete rebuild, how long to break in? Should I do anything during the build to benefit the saw for milling purposes?

I mill with some 394' s. Delete the base gasket. Open up the muffler too. Those and tune it to about 12,300-12,500. Keep the oiler turned up all the way and keep it clean and the filter clean.

Only other thing I'd say is get or build a remote oiler for the tip. Even with a 32" I prefer to add more oil at the tip. Your bar and chain will appreciate it. You'll get longer on a chain between sharpenings too if you keep it well oiled. Milling is hard but very rewarding.

Latest posts

Back