Building a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samdweezel05

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can you guys point me to a good resource for sizing a pump, valve and cylinder. Looking to build a 30-35 ton splitter.

Can you guys point me to a good resource for sizing a pump, valve and cylinder. Looking to build a 30-35 ton splitter.

Look up Surplus Center on Google, then go to Hydraulics and take Tech Help. There are calculators there for sizing everything.

Recently built a home splitter myself. First what are you trying to build? A standard splitter or a special with log lifts movable wedge etc?

Burden surplus center, I built one this last winter and they had the best pricing, best tech's to talk to you about sizing, valve, pumps etc....Check out the splitter pic thread in the wood heating and equipment forum on this site for LOTS of great ideas for your splitter, there are a lot of creative minds on this site! Remember, lots of pics or it never happened.....:msp_thumbup:

built a 10 HP diesel splitter recently:
5" x 24" x 2" Northern Tool cylinder NorTrac Heavy-Duty Welded Cylinder — 3000 PSI, 5in. Bore, 24in. Stroke | 3000 PSI Tie Rod Cylinders| Northern Tool + Equipment
20 gallon hydraulic tank, surplus center hydraulic lines, fittings, and valve, scrap yar and ebay for the rest of it. Worth $2500 easy, only cost $1000 to build and can run on very little fuel.

I have build a couple and have always put the push PLATE on the cylinder and the wedge on the beam.

Latest posts

Back