Building a stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a stump grinder by replacing the rear wheel of a crotch rocket motorcycle (over 100 hp) with a grinding wheel, loosening the clutch, and attaching it to the 3 point hitch of my tractor. Any comments, ideas, or concerns? Does anyone know what speed these wheels will typically turn?

Thanks.

My 2 cents would be don't waste time & money on a motorcycle frame, it's just too light. Find out all the info you can from the companies that make these, as they've done all the R&D already, and pretty much have it down pat. Wheel thickness, shaft size, tooth spacing & rpm will be important as to how [if] it works without killing someone, and how long it lasts. They take a beating, much more so than a motorcycle hub can take.

I'm thinking about building a stump grinder by replacing the rear wheel of a crotch rocket motorcycle (over 100 hp) with a grinding wheel, loosening the clutch, and attaching it to the 3 point hitch of my tractor. Any comments, ideas, or concerns? Does anyone know what speed these wheels will typically turn?

Thanks.

Yea. Me, I have an old washing machine I am going to turn into a bulldozer.

Well if you do the maths, my sportbike is 140hp and does 130kmph in first gear and about 285kmph in top. The rear ends are quite strong but not up to industrial application. I dont think stumper teeth are made to do the kind of speed that would be put out by the bike.

Interesting idea though, cooling would be a problem.

if you own a welder anythign is posible!
You need to rienforce the frame and engien mount! most important thing you dont want a giant blade flying at you at 100mph
If you do it post pictures and peopel will give you helpfull ideas
Matt

way too much ponies man! i think they discontinued the rj90 cause its just to much power and just increases the danger factor. the raco jr 90 is 90 hp and is one badazz machine:clap: it is very easy to increase power on a diesel and wont cost a fortune. more power more problems. just fork out the coin fer a used grinder. id get the 90 if you can find one. the cutter wheel is small and at 90 horses its just about unstoppable. imo its the best small 4x4 grinder money can buy. we have the direct drive track grinder, im not sure the model # but ill find out. it has been nothing but problems for us and needs repair way too often. it does look cool tho:)

I didn't catch whether he's going to use the bike engine or try to convert the pto. The duty cycle won't be adequate if the bike engine is used. Try redlining a crotch rocket going up a massive hill all day and you'll blow the thing up. Having HP and having a diesel with 90%-100% duty cycle are two totally different things. You can run a diesel all day long at full load, see how long an engine like that will last at full load. IE a Ferrari has more hp than most semi tractors but try pulling a 40,000lb trailer through the mountains with a Ferrari and you'll see what happens.

No, don't do it with crotch rocket.
Get an old 252 with blown up koehler, and replace it with a harley v-twin.
Big cam,open pipes,..Now that would be COOL

And a custom flame paint job on the gas tank.

And a custom flame paint job on the gas tank.
You can't do the flame on the gas tank,it is enclosed in the same box as the hydro controls,but some flames definitely would be required for a complete job LOL As well as leathers hanging from hydro levers,but it is going to cost a small fortune to get the 3 wheels chromed:cheers:

" Think GREEN "
I've been working out the kinks on a new " Magnified Laser-Beam Vaporizing " stump remover. No fuel.....low-carbon emissions......Re-chargeable....unit wght. under 95 lbs.....similar to a " Sedge-way ".........super-fast.....market price under $ 2500.....I"ll let you know .....shooting for mid-2009 :jawdrop:

My advice to your question..... buy a slightly used....... factory produced....... tractor-mount unit. Your plan dosen't sound very safe. Engineering specs. < factory manufactured units
> are heavier thus safer by design, eg....630B 1" wheel thickness 2" diameter arbor & supported by 2" Pillow-block bearings. A decernable difference from what your proposing. Stay safe....... buy a good, used unit !!!!!!!!!::cheers:

This has got to be a joke. I could just see my old R1 ripping up a stump. Instead of the hotsaw class you'd have to open up the hotgrinder class. And to think it all started here at AS.

I mean it would be funny as hell but... 100 horsepower????? there are some stumpers out there with that much right?

Thats good but you need to gear it and have it run under 80% or it will just kill itself. This could work
dont dout his enginuity as long as he has a welder!
Matt

Build My Own Stumpgrinder

PipeSmoker.jpg

Latest posts

Back