building myself an alaskan mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gekko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
building an alaskan mill

i am building a this for use with my 2094 and a 36" bar:)

ill post photos of the process of building the mill:)
heres what i did the 3 last hours on school today

main frame
16102008178-1.jpg

16102008179-1.jpg

nice to have good equipment:)
16102008180-1.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had a welder like that and new how to use one. Imagine the possibilities?

Nice start on that csm... don't make it to heavy though, a common mistake.

Nice start! Just wondering why you are useing two tubes welded together?

Nice start! Just wondering why you are useing two tubes welded together?

I agree, both with he start "NICE START" and two tubes. What wall thickness is that RHS ? One tube would look to be enough for a cross section.
It probably won't make much difference but I also would have oriented the long rails the other way to reduce flex in the vertical direction.

Good to see some practical projects happening at school!

Cheers

i originally had planned to use 25mm x 25mm square tubing but i couldnt find it at school.
so i had to use 15mm x 30mm
ill post screens of the drawings later:)

wall thickness is 2 - 3mm i think
total weight now is around 3kg

the long sections is quite strong, i can barely flex them by standing on them and i am around 95kg

Looks good so far. I don't think you need to worry about flex with those tubes over that length, especially if you add a third rail like the round pipe found on the true Alaskans. And if you wanted to save a bit of weight, I also think that a single thickness of tubing for the crossmembers would be sufficient, though it might not merit cutting it apart at this point. Too bad you weren't working with aluminum - that MIG should do a nice job with it providing it has the right setup.

Back