building new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could look a homemade splitters all day. Interesting what different ideas people have and the styles with one goal in mind. That looks like a heavy built one and well designed so far.

Here are your pictrues posted

heres some pictures of my new project will post more later on

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I think it's a bit under-engineered!

I think it's a bit under-engineered!:greenchainsaw:

Nice work....

I was thinking about building this:

attachment.php

But I found this on CLs and my brother was generous to buy it for me! I would like to put a two stage pump on it. It's a bit under powered. It doesn't take much to stop it. I bought a 5000 psi gauge off of ebay and am going to check psi in different locations. It looks like previous owner(s) helped it out with a big hammer because behind the wedge it's penned over. It's designed to run vertical. I've ran it in the position that it is in the pic and I like it.

attachment.php

Under engineered??

This is just the beginning of it. I am gonna add the log lift to it next week and a 4 way slip on wedge after that .

I like the fact that you're using 15" wheels & leaf sprung running gear. How wide of a stance is it?

I bet it'll tow like butter. :clap:

How many pounds/foot is that I-beam too? Looks massive.

I wish I had the time and tools to do something like that myself.

Manyhobies:
The CAD drawing showing a cylinder inside of square tubing with a slot for the wedge is a REALLY interesting idea. Very clean looking. But preventive maintenance or repair might be problematic.

Last edited:
Manyhobies:
The CAD drawing showing a cylinder inside of square tubing with a slot for the wedge is a REALLY interesting idea. Very clean looking. But preventive maintenance or repair might be problematic.

Looks like he's planning to split in both directions like the one NT sells.

The wheels are about 55" apart it was a old axle from a utility trailer I had laying around the ibeam it 10" wide with 3/4" web it was a drop piece from a job last year it will be next week before I'm back on it!!

Manyhobies:

Yes I was still in the concept/design stage.
attachment.php

Here's a crossection:

attachment.php

I had a cylinder modeled up but kept it out of the model to keep the size down because of my poor video card on this laptop. Also I hadn't selected one yet.

Dan

more pics of log lift probably wont work on it any more this week got hammered with a ice storm last night

After rebuilding a lot of other peoples splitters I can tell you from experience you need more surface area attachment(welded points/length) on your rams flat plate and especially the wedge and cylinder backstop. 2 triangular gussets on the backside of the push ram help alot. The straps will bow and not do what you want.

The red splitter gives you an idea of attachment weld length I am referring to. See the cylinder backstop? It has at least 3 times the amount of welding attached to spread the load and give you more strength. Your height is nice but that also compounds the force that will be generated at the bottom. I am not slamming you in any way, just trying to save you a rebuild as I see it coming. You might have been planning on doing more and this is all for naught but thought I'd mention it.

If you'd like I can take some pics of a couple different ones I have at our farm that have been rebuilt and not broke after 8 years of use.

that beam looks to small, i bet it wouldent hold a log more than 144" in diameter:greenchainsaw:

looks nice keep the pics coming:cheers:

Hello,
I think you've done a fine job so far, but I agree with Kevin IN Ohio that those side straps on the pusher setup should be solid triangles. And also maybe beef up the piece of steel that the back of the cylinder connects to. Looks like you are going to have a very nice splitter when you are finished.

Basso

everyone be patient!!

I plan on beefing everything up before I'm done it's just slow go when your doing this in your spare time if you wanna post pics of other splitters that you have made I'd like to see them

Size of Wedge

It looks like you have a 12" high wedge. I'm in the process of rebuilding my splitter and need to replace the wedge. Would a 8" be better due to the stress on the top caused by larger logs? the bigest I split is around 16 to 20" in diameter. What do you think? ~millman

when i built mine i put the wedge on the frame and the flat stock on the cylinder. less of a chance of the cylinder wanting to push sideways at the extreme of the stroke if your cut isn't square.

i had better piece of mind when a split was stuck and i had to pry on it, better it stuck on the wedge that welded to something sturdy.

of course, this was when i was using those tiny twig cylinders like your making yours with.

after bending 4 of them, i setup one with a 48" stroke and 9" bore. :) had to make a different frame for it. tweaked 4" ibeam effortlessly. i put it on 10".

but i guarentee it will split anything. last winter it went through a peice of nasty knotty ash that was easily 25-30" wide. and nearly as long as wide.

i set mine up to go onto the forks of the front end loader, so when there's a peice too heavy to move, i just hover the splitter over the log, pinch it in 1/2,. and so forth. also pinch them and place them on the trailer/truck if need be. just some food for thought.
oh, mines just snap couplers for whatever machine i'm using at the time...

Last edited:
I plan on beefing everything up before I'm done it's just slow go when your doing this in your spare time if you wanna post pics of other splitters that you have made I'd like to see them

Apoligize for the delay but I made it over to the farm today and took some pics. problem was the doors are froze shut with the snow and ice outside so I couldn't get them open. had to rely on flash on some of them and the quality isn't that good because of that. Hopefully these will be of some use to you.

Spitter 1

attachment.php

This one has 2 H beams weled together for more strength. Slide surround is made from a single piece of Box beam sliced in half, V gouged at the joints then flush welded. Another piece of plate layed on top and welded on 4 sides.

Plates for cylinder pin attachment are welded on both sides and piece on top anchors it all together. If you don't have this you WILL bend your top unless your using 1" or thicker plate.

attachment.php

Close up. Yea it was cold in there as you can see the frost on everything.

attachment.php

The fixed wedge on this on is 1 1/2" plate that runs clear back to the round tube. Welded on all surfaces and to the triple wall tube. Then 1/2" plate layed to form a wedge and welded as well.

The tube doubles as a slide stand when not attached to the truck/tractor. There a heavy pipe that slide up and down with a pad welded to the bottom. When transporting the stand comes up and pinned. When Dad originally put this together over 20 years ago these were the H beams he used as he had them. They are a little thin and that's why he doubled them. It dosen't flex any with this setup. I redid the wedge and ram about 8 years ago as the originals broke. No problems now. Still the original sharpening on wedge and it's probably done close 500 cord.

Splitter 2

attachment.php

This one is our 3 point splitter. We use this for the big stuff as we can put it on the ground and roll the logs up in it with a 4 inch ramp. We put a fold up foot on the back so it can be used at normal height as well. Someone else made this splitter but the only thing left is the box beam, slide tube, cylinder and valve as I redid the rest because it broke. Did this about 4 years ago. I love the Box beam on box beam slide. The only down side is no attaching anything like a log lift to it but this will go to the ground anyway. Push plate is 3/4 diamond plate. Nice because the wood doesn't slip as bad as with smooth plate.

attachment.php

Closeup of the cylinder attachment(sorry about the pic) Same basic design but kept the hairpin on the inside so nothing catches on the ouside and makes a cleaner look. Always improving ;)

attachment.php

Made the 3 point mount from scratch as well. They had a single piece of angle iron and it broke from just transporting it. I used my design to also add to the strength of the cylinder backstop as well. No breaks on this one as well and it's done some pretty nasty pieces over the years. Has a slower cycle time so we try to do just the big boys(3ft and over) with it.

I am NOT and have never claimed to be an engineer but I've fixed a lot of stuff that was designed by one. I tend to overbuild the first time because I hate to redo my stuff. After a while you can see the week points. I constantly pick up ideas from others and love seeing variations so if you have any PLEASE post them. I'm in the "gathering" stages for my new splitter and it will be bigger ;)

I did a new wedge for a friend several years back that worked well for him. He was constantly braking it off as he's running a 6" cylinder. Got an 1 1/2" plate and made it like splitter 1 with one exception. I cut his H beam and inset the wedge down into it. Basically traced it on the plate, with wedge ground on, and cut the top to match, Then cut the "web" about half way down. Made sure cuts were as tight as possible and welded everything up. Put more gussets under as well. Basically tripled the holding surface and when welded properly it doesn't hurt the rigidity of the beam, probably stronger now. He moved but last time I talked with him he's still going strong. He has a bad habit of shearing stuff crossgrain ;)

Latest posts

Back