Building the Ultimate 25" Barred Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im just wondering now, why do you consider falling trees larger than your bar length ''unsafe''?
I would think of anything it would make matters safer. there is no way to accidentally sever your off side holding wood while trying to get a uniform holding strip.
What is unsafe is a tired sawyer and a 25 inch bar will do it a LOT faster than a shorter one!

I have fallen many a large tree with a 20 inch bar accurately. Some so big that with a full 20 inch bored face i still wasent able to reach the heart wood in the back cut. Now that is more of an extreme than 14 and 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I have the long bar blues but I always try to have a bar longer than the tree's diameter, when felling. I also like to make 2 cuts, one notch and one felling. I don't see how I could cut through the hinge when paying attention. It just seems eaiser to me to use a longer bar.....

Your technique may be better than mine though.:cheers:

I would definately start with a muffler mod on the 361. It makes a big difference since the muffler is so choked up from the factory to satisfy the EPA. If that's not enough, give it a good typical woods port and it WILL be enough. My 361 runs real strong and turns 15,100 out of the wood. It must be the softer AV confusing you on the build quality. It is truely a pro built saw and will give you many hundreds of hours of service. If the 440 is too big, there's no sense in entertaining the 7900.

I would definately start with a muffler mod on the 361. It makes a big difference since the muffler is so choked up from the factory to satisfy the EPA. If that's not enough, give it a good typical woods port and it WILL be enough. My 361 runs real strong and turns 15,100 out of the wood. It must be the softer AV confusing you on the build quality. It is truely a pro built saw and will give you many hundreds of hours of service. If the 440 is too big, there's no sense in entertaining the 7900.

Well put Brad....:clap:

The 361 will pull a 25'' bar and 3/8 chain weal but it will pull .325 better. 325 chain takes a lot less power to pull. a mufler mod will really make a 361 come to life.

I run a 20" bar and full skip on a MS361 and am very happy with it. I opened the muffler a bit and it did help. I think the 361 will pull a 25" bar OK though I have never cut above 6500'. At your elevation every ounce counts. Too bad there is no reduced weight bar in a 25" length. I would in your case look into the lightest bar you can find from Stihl or maybe an Oregon ProLite if one is available.

I should say that I did not really feal the need to open the muffler, it was just from what I read here. I am glad I did it after all.

If you already have a 440 & 660, then there's not much point in getting a 7900 (IMO). Also, if you have the 440 & 660, why put a 25" bar on the 361. Run an 18 or 20 " bar on the 361, when you encounter the ocassional bigger tree - pull out the 440 or 660.

Not too small, just the reality that after 3-4 tanks of fuel through the 440 in a day beats her up pretty good. A 25" bar on a 361 if it had enough snort would be good. She can and does run the 660, just keeping the operator comfortable keeps the day productive and safe.

I have never touched or seen a 7900, but it sounds like I should race and work one independant of this conversation.

The 361 I was running had a 20" bar on it, stock muffler we were operating at 9k feet.

This is not a 660 job. This is one of those "co-workers" who you can't just tell to buck up.
What else is there?

Well that speaks Volumes!!!! sounds like your cards are all laid out fer ya!!!! LOLOL!!!!!! if you are working @ elevation with the majority of this work there is no substitute for displacement,,,, to me a 361 is just too small,,,,, and if weight is a concern nothing larger that a 460 or 7900 would be necessarry,,, The 7900 is advertised @ 13.6 lb while the 460 is a pound heavier,,,,,,,,, I've heard that a muff modded 7900 really is a strong saw,,,,,,

but,, I have a BB kitted ported w/Maxflo 460 that is one bad hombre!!!!:clap:

Not too small, just the reality that after 3-4 tanks of fuel through the 440 in a day beats her up pretty good...........
What else is there?

The 440 is an awesome saw, but the larger Stihls seem to tire me out faster than the Huskies. Have you considered a 372XP?

It may not be the size and weight of the 440 that bothers the operator. The AV on the 372 is softer than that of the 440's and it has about the same power (a bit more in the case of a 372 XPW). I own both, and the 372 is more comfortable for me to run all day than a 440.

It may be worth a shot to see if you could try one out. I run a 24" on my XP, and a 28" the XPW.

Just a thought.....

Latest posts

Back