Bullseye!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Several others on the board have posted up on this subject lately and I WAS following with some moderate interest since we all spend our fair share of time in the woods. Last weekend I spent some time up cutting and then left out to go to work on Sunday. Around Tuesday I started in with some aches and pains and by Thursday when I got home I was sure that I had the flu. After a few days with a 104 fever and some ripping headaches my dearest wife found the bulls eye on my back and drug me over to the hospital. Yup card carrying member of the “I got my A$$ kicked by a tick” Lymes club. Going to get my scripts filled this morning for the Doxycycline. I wonder if the government has any left over DDT stored up? Perhaps I could get 10,000 gallons or so cheap from them. The moral to the story is my PPE will now include a dose of DEET it seems a cheap way to raise the odds in your favor.

That sucks!

I'm sorry to hear that! Just lately I have been thinking about how lucky I have been to not get it with all of the stuff I've done over the years in short pants especially....

I hope that you have a speedy recovery and feel better soon!

Can't say I have ever had Lyme disease, but I've dealt with a fair bit of ticks in my day. For some reason they don't seem too bad around here this year. I have a can of Deep Woods Off in each of the trucks, and apply it generously when I get to the woods. The yard and woodlot get treated with Ortho granules.

Can't say I have ever had Lyme disease, but I've dealt with a fair bit of ticks in my day. For some reason they don't seem too bad around here this year. I have a can of Deep Woods Off in each of the trucks, and apply it generously when I get to the woods. The yard and woodlot get treated with Ortho granules.

Do the Ortho granules help cut down on the ticks?

My wife is dealing with lyme disease and Doxycycline side effects right now. I want to do everything I can to reduce the future chances of any of the family getting it again.

I went around the wood pile and edge of yard with granules. I think I may get on a routine of granules or spray.

I spray wood gathering clothes with Deet 40% and keep them in my shed.

I will also be declaring War on mice this summer.

gg

It is a crappie club to belong to. I have caught it twice, the first time I thought it was life sucked but when I finally went to the doc(wife nagged the crap out of me) life was a peach. The second time I had a bulleye I wasted no time in getting the scrip(problem now is the little woman still brings up"now do you wish you had listen to me the first time"
I have guinea hens free ranging and that has reduced the amount of ticks alot

Hope all turns out OK.

I know some of you have no choice but to cut whenever you can no matter what time of the year but, this as well as skeeters,deer flies, bees and over growth is why I cut from November to March.

The ticks seem to be thick this year, used more deet this year than the last several years combined. I had never seen the small ticks until this year, usually just see the bigger slow moving ones. I've been keeping my 4 legged buddies well sprayed also, (not with deet though.) I usually try to get all my wood cut early in the spring before the bugs come out but I still enjoy camping, mushroom picking and just being out in the woods all year round. Fall is usually reserved for hunting season. Happy 4th and good cutting!

Hope all turns out OK.

I know some of you have no choice but to cut whenever you can no matter what time of the year but, this as well as skeeters,deer flies, bees and over growth is why I cut from November to March.

I cut my wood in the winter too. I would rather cut in 18" of snow than deal with poison ivy and ticks. I then haul it out as soon as the snow melts.

How big of a problem are wood piles and ticks?

Mice seem to love wood piles so I would think ticks would be in them too?

gg

I have guinea hens free ranging and that has reduced the amount of ticks alot

Yeah, I hear they eat their own body weight in ticks every day. Quite a few people have them free roaming around here and swear by them.
Seems like a real important part of the solution, in addition to repellents and choosing color-contrasting clothes if possible.
For our dogs, we use k9 Advantix, which works miraculously well for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes.

Sounds kind of weird but it would be nice if they made some type of shampoo you could use to kill any of the little B@#%*rds that might be hiding on your head after being out in the woods.

gg

Sounds kind of weird but it would be nice if they made some type of shampoo you could use to kill any of the little B@#%*rds that might be hiding on your head after being out in the woods.

gg

It would. I pulled a well-fed tick out of my daughter's hair a few months back. Then she started feeling sick and running a fever... oh crap! Quick run to the doc, and everything was okay, but I don't like those close calls!

How big of a problem are wood piles and ticks?

Mice seem to love wood piles so I would think ticks would be in them too?

gg

To the best of my knowledge, ticks hang out on blades of grass and leaves, from 4" high to 4' high. They lie in wait for a passing mammal (which they sense by the carbon dioxide we emit) and latch on. Then they climb against gravity till they find a place to insert their mouth parts in. They also hide out in cracks and crevices to escape the cold and lay their eggs.
Ticks have been known to bite even in winter time, if the temperature is above 35F.
Contrary to myth, they do not fall from branches.
There is a book that is widely available in places like Barnes & Noble called 'Outsmarting Ticks'. It has some good information.
I learned all of this about 10 years ago when my oldest daughter got bit.

So, as far as I know, a woodpile is not what I would consider a typical place to get a tick, since they seem to prefer the surrounding greenery.

I have not to this point had any personal experience with deer ticks. From what I gather, the "bullseye" only lasts for a short time as in a couple of days. They are surely a problem, and a body check is in order every time a person ventures into possibly infested areas. In my area that is everywhere. Deet is a good preventative, but not a sure thing.

These darn things are a scourge!

Bob

Latest posts

Back