Bumper spikes????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axmen365

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I run a 365 will a 24in bar, I only have the puny stock spikes on one side and I was wondering what you guys ran on your 365/371/372's? You guys have the ones on each side that are bigger, Or do you jes live with the small one that it comes with the 365? Also when cutting large hard wood, does the double spike help in balance or equality?

I feel kinda dumb askin this, but I jes want to make sure it would be a wise investment.

if you can double dog that thing do it and don't look back

i don't know much about husky, so i can't answer your Q

dawgz

just buy them. they make life easier for bucking and falling:bowdown: sawz with bigggggg dawgz and full wrap handlez and long bar sawz rule:bowdown: :bowdown:
:cheers:

I am gonna be fellin' more....but aside from looking nice, do they help the performance????

I am gonna be fellin' more....but aside from looking nice, do they help the performance????

They should be sized to match the thickness of the bark on the wood you're cutting, first off. Hardwoods around here with thinner hardened bark only require shorter dogs like those that came on my 372 stock. If you don't need longer dogs, then all you're doing is taking up what could be useful bar length.

They should be sized to match the thickness of the bark on the wood you're cutting, first off. Hardwoods around here with thinner hardened bark only require shorter dogs like those that came on my 372 stock. If you don't need longer dogs, then all you're doing is taking up what could be useful bar length.

which is why you buy a longer bar...

Bigger dogs also come in handy when the bark on the trees look like this...

IMG_4102.JPG

Gary

To me a saw without a good set is a major pain in the arss. My 372 came with ones on both sides but they are rather blunt.. this is DUMB. I sharpend them upa bit and lots better. Also going and getting the biggest ones you can for your 365 is not goin to benefit, just lots of bogging and chain stoppage..

True, that's what's my dad told me when I inquired of him. But I am building my log cabin out of lollby pine, for the last couple months or so I was cutting hardwoods for milling. but when I start i'll be cutting pine.

you'll have fun cuttin' that pine... i always look forward to cuttin' any softwood... i've spent the last half of the summer and this part of fall fallin' snags for landowners - all oak - and i'm glad to not be cuttin' those teeth chattering bleached by the sun snags

Dogs from Madsen's with ceramic roller on my 044... top notch. Plus the black oxide coating looks bad ass...

attachment.php

You can see how much bar I lose by using these... that red crud is from thick Doug Fir bark...

Gary

Dogs from Madsen's with ceramic roller on my 044... top notch. Plus the black oxide coating looks bad ass...
Gary

Husky dawgs on your stihl!?

I prefer big dawgs for firewood, but for log home building, remove them all together. Best to use a bumper with no teeth, unless you like the the look of 1/2" deep holes around your house. Some goober said you don't need em on your '65, but to me it just makes the saw easier to use. Big dawgs eat up about 2" of bar over bumper dawgs.

Husky dawgs on your stihl!?

I prefer big dawgs for firewood, but for log home building, remove them all together. Best to use a bumper with no teeth, unless you like the the look of 1/2" deep holes around your house. Some goober said you don't need em on your '65, but to me it just makes the saw easier to use. Big dawgs eat up about 2" of bar over bumper dawgs.

Umm... no. These are dogs made by Madsen's. Not factory...

I don't know what a "bumper dawg" is. :confused:

Gary

Umm... no. These are dogs made by Madsen's. Not factory...

I don't know what a "bumper dawg" is. :confused:

Gary

I guess it's slang for what stihl calls a "bumper spike"

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/features.html item "c" on the link

The OP mentioned about log homes; The log home builders around here either take off the dawgs or grind the spikes off altogether...

I took a quick look, what does still offer for dawgs on their 440 class saws?

Back