Burned @ night with a trade :( 028- 024...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey Guys... traded off a nice 028 for not-the-prettiest 024 having hard starting issues and a touch of the green stuff....

DAB25913-72C9-4DB6-B9E6-1E60B73F77C6-118-0000000B4DFAA9C6.jpg

Met the guy on a dark, cold, rainy night... :msp_ohmy:

Saw had good compression, but not even a hit when trying to start.... I figured fuel system...

so, did the trade, and went home.

Fast forward to the next morning...Decided to go out before work and worked on cleaning her up a bit, and noticed something fishy with the tank: body filler?? the night before it looked like just caked dirt, etc.... :msp_mad:

Here's a pic after I chipped some of it off.... it's obvious WHY it had fuel system issues.... wouldn't hold fuel to HAVE any other issues! lol

B84D915B-C772-4B19-9B1B-DD8D81DBAEC4-118-0000000B4AF241FE.jpg

IT has a HECK of a crack in it, and looks like someone used a grinder to 'clean' it up before applying body filler... it seems about too thin to plastic weld it...

even then, is it weldable plastic :dunno: ???

anyone know of a suitable filler material for a stihl tank?

or, does anyone have one avail for trade, or???

Thanks for the help guys!!

:cheers:

Last edited:
I have a tank handle... to trade:msp_wink: Sounded like a dirty deal.... and it looks that way also. Meeting a guy in the back of a dark alley at night always turns out bad for somebody.

Last edited:
gotta love the bad trades,
in-trade a guy gave me a 3 kw kubota generator that just needed a new pull rope. it turns out that the carb was worn out and it's almost impossible to get another carb for it..
so yea, your not alone..

Maybe this should be titled... Deals gone bad!! Ever feel like a drug dealer... dealing chainsaws instead. Dark alley, at night, looking around for someone watching, waiting for the cops to pull up and search you to find a chainsaw.. Honest officer, I couldn't resist, it was a good deal. Watching them shake there heads and laugh.. while you know there saying under there breath your a sick.. sick person!

And when the adrenalin wears off, find out... you got screwed because you had to go through with it!

Had a guy on CL do the same thing to me... an 066, $150. Said it was a beater and he needed the cash to feed his family. Cold, rainy miserable day. Drove 45 minutes and he pulls out an 028... I looked at him and said bad words.. like are you $^&*&%@ kidding me! AN 028, how did you get 066 out of that and the picture on line was an 066! I turned and started away, wet and pissed!

He stopped me and said, Mister....I really need to sell the saw, we need the money. One look at his kids and wife and the deal was done and not for the asking price but a reasonable amount. That was the last deal on a dark damp day... just not worth getting wet for:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

definitely sorry for you loss there...but i have to ask...why would you trade a nice 028 for any 024?

definitely sorry for you loss there...but i have to ask...why would you trade a nice 028 for any 024?

I was WAITING for someone to ask that question, lol!! :smile2:

couple reasons:

I have a couple buddy's that are always looking for a decent, (somewhat) light-weight, pro-series saw ...
I got cash with the deal (good when your in the red every month w/o making any extra cash, yet, your conservative :msp_unsure: )

gotta love the bad trades,
in-trade a guy gave me a 3 kw kubota generator that just needed a new pull rope. it turns out that the carb was worn out and it's almost impossible to get another carb for it..
so yea, your not alone..

carb? worn out, as in throttle shaft?? not a good cleaning? UGH. :(

Ever feel like a drug dealer... dealing chainsaws... while you know there saying under there breath your a sick.. sick person!

:hmm3grin2orange::biggrinbounce2: LOL!!!

Had a guy on CL do the same thing to me... an 066, $150. ...Drove 45 minutes and he pulls out an 028... I looked at him and said bad words..... One look at his kids and wife and the deal was done and not for the asking price but a reasonable amount. That was the last deal on a dark damp day...

I remember that story!!

I'll take you up on the 026 tank in trade... got a 026 case and top end to go with it? :)

I was WAITING for someone to ask that question, lol!! :smile2:

couple reasons:

I have a couple buddy's that are always looking for a decent, (somewhat) light-weight, pro-series saw ...
I got cash with the deal (good when your in the red every month w/o making any extra cash, yet, your conservative :msp_unsure: )

carb? worn out, as in throttle shaft?? not a good cleaning? UGH. :(

:hmm3grin2orange::biggrinbounce2: LOL!!!

I remember that story!!

I'll take you up on the 026 tank in trade... got a 026 case and top end to go with it? :)

Crap, its not a super is it... looked again at the pictures.

sorry to shed any bad light on your already crummy situation, but the curiosity was killing me!

Crap, its not a super is it... looked again at the pictures.

Nope :( the EXACT reason I asked ;) I took a chance when I agreed; being that he had a 45 min drive ahead of him.... :dizzy:

sorry to shed any bad light on your already crummy situation, but the curiosity was killing me!

it's cool... i understand :)

Hey Guys... traded off a nice 028 for not-the-prettiest 024 having hard starting issues and a touch of the green stuff....

DAB25913-72C9-4DB6-B9E6-1E60B73F77C6-118-0000000B4DFAA9C6.jpg

Met the guy on a dark, cold, rainy night... :msp_ohmy:

Saw had good compression, but not even a hit when trying to start.... I figured fuel system...

so, did the trade, and went home.

Fast forward to the next morning...Decided to go out before work and worked on cleaning her up a bit, and noticed something fishy with the tank: body filler?? the night before it looked like just caked dirt, etc.... :msp_mad:

Here's a pic after I chipped some of it off.... it's obvious WHY it had fuel system issues.... wouldn't hold fuel to HAVE any other issues! lol

B84D915B-C772-4B19-9B1B-DD8D81DBAEC4-118-0000000B4AF241FE.jpg

IT has a HECK of a crack in it, and looks like someone used a grinder to 'clean' it up before applying body filler... it seems about too thin to plastic weld it...

even then, is it weldable plastic :dunno: ???

anyone know of a suitable filler material for a stihl tank?

or, does anyone have one avail for trade, or???

Thanks for the help guys!!

I've had pretty good results with JB Weld. Bondo is not good, neither is silicone.

even though this deal didn't go as planned i'm sure jay is still a happy camper. that guy sure loves trading :cheers: oh ya jay. we didn't finish discussing that trade so you best PM me when you log in next :)

I used a nylon zip tie and a propane torch with a flat blade soldering tip on it to weld a plastic radiator tank that had a hairline crack in it. The weld was still holding pressure when the radiator was replaced a week or so later. I put the flat blade tip on the crack and turned it into a trench, almost melted all the way through the plastic. Then I went back and melted the zip tie into the trench filling it up and continuing until i had about 1/2" margin all the way around where the crack was. I had nothing to lose, so I gave it a try and to my suprise it worked. If you decide to give it try just make sure to rinse out the tank good with water so you don't have any fuel vapor present when you fire up the torch.

Anyone have an idea, or opinion on plastic welding? what to use as a filler?

thinking out loud here ;)

The best thing to use is to find a piece of the plastic you're welding to that isn't visible or structural and slice a piece off it. Sometimes that's not possible though. I used that procedure on 4 wheeler fenders, used plastic from same part under the seat.

I would think that you cn pick up a used tank for that on this site. Good news is that a fuel tank is under no pressure, so with some scraping/grinding, you can make a suitable patch if ya put your mind to it.

I would try permatex cold weld. Same idea as jb weld, I just find it works better.

Latest posts

Back