Burned out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm lovin' Neil... Favorite album is after the goldrush, followed closely by harvest. Sounds to me like you're running your saw too lean there though mate, keep going that way and you'll end up on the cripple creek ferry ;-)

Shaun

Its like workin in the stove down here 95+ and humid. even the shade is hot.
In the AF we had red flag days when it was like this, work 45 break for 15, how do we adapt this to the tree care industry???

We've been suffering in the burn areas, and I've been trying to get all the climbing done by noon on the worst days. No shade, we've been going 55 on, 5 off, drink water, grab shade, if there is any, lol. I hate coming out of trees before they're done, but sometimes I just have to take a breather and get rehydrated, or I'm toast by afternoon. I've found the breaks help keep the afternoon fade from happening so bad, and having everyone break at once keeps the slackers from hiding out at the water cooler.

SJ, hang in there bud, maybe she'll find the grass not so green on the other side.... after all, who can resist a climber?

It's just you.

Seriously though, lay off (whichever of these you are into) booze, energy drinks, fast food etc etc... take better care of yourself. That means plenty of fruit and veg, proper breakfasts (try muesli or poridge) get plenty of grains, bring a decent lunch to work. Get enough sleep (8 hours). All simple easy stuff but makes a huge difference in your outlook and energy levels. A lot of crankiness/tiredness is just poor nutrition.

Shaun

I think this is half decent advice. I basically agree its just that I dont drink or smoke and i think i follow a pretty good diet but it could be better. i will say i dont eat enough raw fruits n veggies. i drink plenty of water and no energy drinks (swore them off last fall). I do treat myself to an ice cold mountain dew every couple days though. My problem was I was just in a funk. I am feeling much better. A few things happened that have affected my mood. 1,the temp dropped to the mid to lower 80s for two days now. 2, I got a hair cut. 3, I bid a job today that another local tree guy passed my name to HO because he cant get his bucket and or crane to it.He said they dont climb enough big trees any more to be comfy with this removal. HO has had some other bids but is uneasy with the people giving them. She said I am not the cheapest but I am the most impressive. She wants to discuss with husband. HO is a millionare. And 4, last but not least, I cant go on vacation now but I can damn sure go in January. Just booked a trip to Marco Island FL. Got some killer airfare and gonna rent a friends house for a week. I feel alot better than I did a few days ago thats for sure.

I think this is half decent advice. I basically agree its just that I dont drink or smoke and i think i follow a pretty good diet but it could be better. i will say i dont eat enough raw fruits n veggies. i drink plenty of water and no energy drinks (swore them off last fall). I do treat myself to an ice cold mountain dew every couple days though. My problem was I was just in a funk. I am feeling much better. A few things happened that have affected my mood. 1,the temp dropped to the mid to lower 80s for two days now. 2, I got a hair cut. 3, I bid a job today that another local tree guy passed my name to HO because he cant get his bucket and or crane to it.He said they dont climb enough big trees any more to be comfy with this removal. HO has had some other bids but is uneasy with the people giving them. She said I am not the cheapest but I am the most impressive. She wants to discuss with husband. HO is a millionare. And 4, last but not least, I cant go on vacation now but I can damn sure go in January. Just booked a trip to Marco Island FL. Got some killer airfare and gonna rent a friends house for a week. I feel alot better than I did a few days ago thats for sure.

Ice cold Mountain Dew never sounded better.

and get me a cheesburger before i commite suicide:msp_sneaky:

Did he say PORRIDGE? Wtf issat?:laugh:

Well,,,,,it is either POOR RIDGE that sleeps in the woods behind the liquor store or the suburb talked about in the old ''Good ole Rocky top'' song.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes,feeling the burnout too,but there is relief in site.
Going on a cruise 7-23 with the wife ,4 kids and my son's GF .
The phones we have ,don't work where we're going and everyone that I really care enough to worry about is going to be with me on the boat .So,, no worries for a week.

SJ keep your head up man.I know it can be tough.Things have a way of working out though.

Last edited:
I think I've finally become disillusioned with all this tree service crap. Losing the motivation to deal with it. Sometimes I wonder if I don't need another big payment, just to keep me going. Not like I'm actually considering it, but just saying.

Ace, sounds like maybe you should have bought that bucket you were considering. I love doing trees out of mine.. they're almost like freebee's.

ace... u r old enough to know u cant please everyone all the time... even when things are going good... someone always has something to ##### about... if i were u id make a shift in the schedule so u can take some time for yourself THEY CAN WAIT ... i know that state of mind u are in and i m telling u its a good way to get ur ass handed to u on a silver platter (but u already know that)... i just got off the phone with a customer who could not wait and hired some dumb ass to do his hedge work... now hes upset becuz his yard looks like ####.... they went around hacking low limbs on trees, butchered roses, and completely scalped the hedge... i told him he should have waited for a break in the heat (its going to be 108 today)... my point is... take the time you need and it ll all work out in the end... its better for u and everyone around u... remember u r are doing tree work for christ sake... the world wont come to an end trust me...

Been putting in short days - coming home by around 3:00 pm, but feeling like it is 9:00.
Actually fell sound asleep for a couple hours yesterday afternoon - can't ever remember doing that before.
Gonna resist the porridge regimen till they put me out to pasture and stick me in an old folks home.

Been putting in short days - coming home by around 3:00 pm, but feeling like it is 9:00.
Actually fell sound asleep for a couple hours yesterday afternoon - can't ever remember doing that before.
Gonna resist the porridge regimen till they put me out to pasture and stick me in an old folks home.

All this talk about porridge keeps reminding me of Oliver... " Please sir, may I have some more?".... oops, I guess I just dated myself.

I think I've finally become disillusioned with all this tree service crap. Losing the motivation to deal with it. Sometimes I wonder if I don't need another big payment, just to keep me going. Not like I'm actually considering it, but just saying.

Ace, sounds like maybe you should have bought that bucket you were considering. I love doing trees out of mine.. they're almost like freebee's.

well I am renting a 55ft trailer lift next week. I got that baby from this Saturday till next Saturday. I have some nice Jobs lined up for it. Its no bucket truck but its heading in the right direction.

just a word about taking time off this time of the year. Basically I am all for it. vacations are a good thing no doubt about it. But I personally need to keep in mind that i have 2 full time and 1 part time employees who are counting on me to provide them with the opprutunity to work. They need that money every week. Now i prolly could carve up a 1000 bucks and make every one happy enough to get away for a week but idk if thats really the way to go...for me atleast. I have a good crew but they are lost puppies without me so leaving some jobs to do with out me there is 100% outa the question. Thats just how it is for me right now. I in NO WAY mean to imply that taking a vacation is a bad thing for most. I just think its a poor choice for me right now. And the fact that i have something to look forward to in Jan is pretty cool.
Also, the job I talked about bidding a few posts back I did get. Its a sweet job and I am happy and kinda proud to be chosen to do it.

well I am renting a 55ft trailer lift next week. I got that baby from this Saturday till next Saturday. I have some nice Jobs lined up for it. Its no bucket truck but its heading in the right direction.
I think you're going to like it, especially this year when the ground is like concrete. I did a 70 ft. oak next to a house on Monday solo in a few hours. Cut and chuck so the cleanup took forever and about killed me but my partner wasn't available so it was nice to have the option. Today I pulled into a guys back yard and knocked a few big dead limbs out of a hickory. 20 minutes. 'Would have taken me that long to get set up and climb it. This is a great year for backyard lifts.
Phil

Latest posts

Back