burned up 028 help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.STIHL036

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 028 wood boss just burned up don't know why. It had fresh gas from the day before with good mix so i can rule out a gas issue . like i said dont know how it happened. I may just as well give up on this saw as it is 25 years old any ideas?

My 028 wood boss just burned up don't know why. It had fresh gas from the day before with good mix so i can rule out a gas issue . like i said dont know how it happened. I may just as well give up on this saw as it is 25 years old any ideas?
Ain't got nothing to do with how old the saw is...BUT...!!!
Ya got to give us more details on what exactly happened!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Are you venting or do you need help? If you want help, we need more information. You don't really want to give up on an 028, do ya?
:blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2:

Are you venting or do you need help? If you want help, we need more information. You don't really want to give up on an 028, do ya?
:blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2:

Yep, we'll try and help ya, all we need is some info. Vacuum leak possibly? Guessing games don't work, so if ya can give us any clues, we'll be glad to help. :msp_rolleyes:

I can tell you all the problems that i have had with it. when i got it it had an idle issue and needed an impulse tube those got fixed with a carb kit and a new tube. and then air leak and the new filter was wrong i fixed that. and the last thig that fixed i never looked at and probly needed to replace was the fuel line that was done too the reason why i looked at the piston was be cause there was somthing in the muffler loose and that piston was scored bad and i think i saw a hole too. thats all i know

that piston was scored bad and i think i saw a hole too. thats all i know
Holes in pistons are interesting. Let's see some pictures ! ! ! :laugh:

Seriously, you prolly had an air leak or a torn fuel line that was sucking air. It happens. We can walk you through the repairs, but it's going to take a while. If you need to cut wood right away, you may want to go ahead and buy a replacement saw, then work on the 028 in your slack time.

Sounds like the fuel line might have been a problem all the wile. Air leaks are killers and can drive you nuts. It appears you have plenty of other good saws to use. So I would spend some time on this saw and test everything thoroughly with a vacuum/pressure gauge. There are so many rubber surfaces that wear, shrink and crack that it’s possible on an old saw to have multiple problems at once. But the critical thing is you must find all the problems before you consider fixing that top end. The 028 is a Classic and worth fixing. Plus it’s another good pony in a strong stable of saws.

The only Stihl not worth rebuilding is one that's a melted puddle of metal (imho).

Latest posts

Back