Burning dead standing timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehrkens13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wondering if i can cut and burn dead standing timber, has been dead for a long time, no rot. It is mostly elm and some ash? (moisture content)

Last edited:
you just hit the mother load!! dead standing timber is worth its weight in gold, for being dryer usually no bark ....the only down fall on dead standing is its not cut,split and stacked!!!!????? lol ash an elm are great woods with lite ash'es and coals..get all you can!

Top 2/3rds definitely, and all of the limbwood. A lot of times, especially red oak, the lower part of the trunk will retain moisture for a long time. I think it might be proximity to ground moisture.

Both dead standing elm and ash burn great, cut it, split it and burn it. Just be careful when cutting as both dead ash and elm have a tendency to have the tops blow out while cutting or if they hit another tree on the way down. I have had tops come out on many occasions, some flying 20 or 30 feet. Be very aware while cutting and have good multiple escape routes swamped out before you start on the tree.

Jackpot

Especially the ash.

Turkeyslayer hit the most important point. Standing dead, in particular big trees can be a real hazard to drop. I've had multiple limbs and partial tops break off during the felling process. Make absolutely certain you're wearing a helmet, and if at all possible have another set of eyes watching the top while felling.

I've also found in many instances while the outer portion of the tree may appear solid the inside is rotten mush so any thought of a hinge is out the door. Before starting the felling process, do a bore cut and see what the chips from the middle of the tree look like. It's best to know what you're dealing with first.

Take Care

Jackpot

Especially the ash.

Turkeyslayer hit the most important point. Standing dead, in particular big trees can be a real hazard to drop. I've had multiple limbs and partial tops break off during the felling process. Make absolutely certain you're wearing a helmet, and if at all possible have another set of eyes watching the top while felling.

I've also found in many instances while the outer portion of the tree may appear solid the inside is rotten mush so any thought of a hinge is out the door. Before starting the felling process, do a bore cut and see what the chips from the middle of the tree look like. It's best to know what you're dealing with first.

Take Care

thanks great advice

Top 2/3rds definitely, and all of the limbwood. A lot of times, especially red oak, the lower part of the trunk will retain moisture for a long time. I think it might be proximity to ground moisture.
booga, your right on !! with a common 12" red oak for instance the bottom 8 to 10 feet of the trunk is usually wet.. the moisture is not of the trees sap so much as it has dried and soaked its self with ground water adjacent to the area... after split and stacked it dries remarkably fast...

I just cut 6-7 cords of dead standing ash elm and maple. The ash and elm were fine but the maple was getting dosy, we ended up having a fire out in the woods for a little warmth and did not here one split hissing at all. I heat with 80% elm and it is all dead standing, if it sounds like baseball bats hitting each other when you nock two splits together its good to go.

Beefie

I think a lot of it depends on your climate, how big the tree is and how long it has been dead. I find sometimes esp with big trees they aren't dry in the middle. Think of it as throwing a pile of wet laundry in the driveway. The outside might get dry but the center could be wet and moldy

I felled a standing dead Elm (5 yrs dead), 31 inch DBH. Everything above the main trunk was dry and I burned it that winter. But, the trunk was wet, water was coming out as we split it. 1 year later it is dry and some of that trunk is in my stove, burning nicely right now.

It seems as if every winter I need to scrounge for some wood that I can burn right away. Standing dead stuff fits the bill, more than once I have it in the stove the same day I cut it.

As others have said, I have cut some red oak that is rotten in the first 2" and still have water spurt out when I split it.

dead ash

I have been cutting dead ash here in s.e. mich, most has started to lose some of the bark. Right out of the woods on fresh cut pieces the end grain reads 15-18% moisture on my meter. Burns great !!!! There are litterally millions of dead ash trees in this area and in my opinion it is the best wood I have ever burnt !!

Back