Burning Ponderosa Pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people have something against pine. Im not sure why. It is what it is, a quick hot fire that doesnt leave much ash. I like it.
+1 I like pine but then the other choices are limited Fir is better but nothing really close to me, Plus it smells so good when splitting it. My shop and home are heated with pine.

Ponderosia Pine (yellow pine) is a fun wood to fill a truck with, hand splitting is easy, comparatively.

Lodgepole Pine is more dense and burns a little hotter, last slightly longer.

Interesting point, some Outfitter Insurance companies will only guaranty or grant insurance claims if wall tents ridgepoles* are made from LP Pine. Nothing else in the Rockies is as strong. (hence the name)

*Wall tent ridgepoles will collapse under snow loads sometime.
Plus it is nice and straight with few limbs. Year ago I worked for a outfitter as a guide for Sheep, Are camp was wall tents with the traditional air tight stove made from thin metal.We had some Australians and they were thinking they were going to freeze to death the first night lol They ended up sleeping on top of their sleeping bags as it was too warm.

Plus it is nice and straight with few limbs. Year ago I worked for a outfitter as a guide for Sheep, Are camp was wall tents with the traditional air tight stove made from thin metal.We had some Australians and they were thinking they were going to freeze to death the first night lol They ended up sleeping on top of their sleeping bags as it was too warm.

Could life get better?:cheers:

Just another point about LP Pine. Cut to length and no need to split, seems to have a more even burn with rounds burning in from the bark in.

As opposed to the need to burn Yellow Pine as split, it has a slight tendency to flare up if you don't have a lot of air control.

Could life get better?:cheers:

Just another point about LP Pine. Cut to length and no need to split, seems to have a more even burn with rounds burning in from the bark in.

As opposed to the need to burn Yellow Pine as split, it has a slight tendency to flare up if you don't have a lot of air control.
I am sitting in the house but can smell the horses and taste that Sheep or Elk tenderloin now!

I am sitting in the house but can smell the horses and taste that Sheep or Elk tenderloin now!

:cheers:

I can use that word and fit it into a sentence that fits the thread!

Taking elk tenderloin , or deer moose or sheep what have you.

Cutting them to 1 1/2" - 2" stakes, peppering them, season with garlic, crushed red-pepper or what have you.

Placing them up right on a block of Lodgepole or Yellow Pine, or what have you.

With another block of firewood, smack down on the tenderloin stake, one good smack should flatten it out to about twice its diameter.

With a good hot fry-pan over a fire of (???) 'what have you' smoking hot butter seasoned with 'what have you' . If the butter is so hot, they flip them selves when first tossed in, it's about right! Sizzle the flattened loin-stakes just so on each side.

Blackened on the outside, red/pink on the inside, and dose life get better?

I live in montana no high fulutin' hardwood here fur, lodgepole, and ponderosa I like fur the best but in south west mt our forests are being desemated by pinebetles so lodgepole is my choice if ponderosa doesnt dry rite its punky :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Back