Burning unseasoned wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm...I said they were "engineers" never said they were "Smart".. :)

He would tell me it was something about gasification gobbelee gook blahh blahh type nonsense. I often feel like i pay them to shut up more then to speak up.. Thankfully they all think "sales" is so demeaning they never talk to the sales force. If they just think the problem enough it will "sell" itself.. Hehe.
Sorry, Chris, to hear you're one of "them" ...at least you're not an attorney :clap:
Don't go after my pocket protector and I won't mention your hair! Stereotypes are usually false anyway, although in business several folks have applied them to me over the years and ended up making serious misjudgements.

to the op,
if you throw a couple of old tires in there first, then toss the green wood on top, as the tires are making heat, they are also drying the green wood in sequence....
I'm just guessing this is your feeble attempt at humor. Since you've brought this up though I'll enlighten you a bit and try to diffuse your humor. I'd never burn an old tire in my furnace as it burns good enough that an idea like that's unneeded. But now if your cleaning property of trees and once the dozer has made a windrow of all those green trees then your idea works EXTREMLY well, especially a tire about every 20-30' and plenty of used motor oil added in. Those green trees burn like they've cured for 2 years. Oh and one last bit of advice- start the fire AFTER dark as then nobody (especially law enforcement officials) sees that black putrid smoke being emitted from all those tires and burnt motor oil. Don't ask how I know this, but its safe to say I wasn't in charge of this scenario.
How funny is your idea now?

I'm just guessing this is your feeble attempt at humor. Since you've brought this up though I'll enlighten you a bit and try to diffuse your humor. I'd never burn an old tire in my furnace as it burns good enough that an idea like that's unneeded. But now if your cleaning property of trees and once the dozer has made a windrow of all those green trees then your idea works EXTREMLY well, especially a tire about every 20-30' and plenty of used motor oil added in. Those green trees burn like they've cured for 2 years. Oh and one last bit of advice- start the fire AFTER dark as then nobody (especially law enforcement officials) sees that black putrid smoke being emitted from all those tires and burnt motor oil. Don't ask how I know this, but its safe to say I wasn't in charge of this scenario.
feeble, huh ??
okay, i should have explained it a little better i guess..
the best tires to use are the ones that have been out in the sun alot and are dry rotted..
ya see, they are well seasoned and don't smoke so much !!!!!!!

I'm just guessing this is your feeble attempt at humor. ... I'd never burn an old tire in my furnace...

Holly crap man... lighten-up‼ You ain't been here long enough... or ya' ain't logging in often enough. The tire burnin' thing has been a standing joke 'round here since I joined over three years ago. Heck, I've even defended it... I use an old tire to get a brush fire going a couple times a year. If'n ya' chop 'em up in small pieces, feed 'em in the firebox a handful at a time, they're awesome fire starters for green wood... and they'll keep the fire goin' hot-'n'-heavy to. Ya' can also soak your green wood in used motor oil before stuffin' it in the firebox, but chunks of old tire ain't quite as messy. Besides, pourin' used motor oil over seasoned stacks is a better option, 'cause seasoned firewood soaks more of it up... and, it keeps the stacks varmint free. I do keep a squirt bottle of used motor oil down by the furnace... heck-of-a-lot more convenient than newspaper & kindlin', or rubbin' two sticks together. I just stuff some dryer lint, an old shop rag, even an old sock in between the splits, soak it real good with the used oil, toss a match on it, and slam the door... that old sock works just like a lamp wick, burns long and hot. Presto‼ Fire‼ Less time spent buildin' a fire means more time for beer drinkin' and ball scratchin'.

As an engineer, I can't imagine an engineer who thinks wet wood delivers higher heat output. He must have slept through a bunch of classes. I was going to type that I'd like to hear his explanation on how that would work, but on second thought I'd rather not.

How smart ya gotta be to drive a train? Maybe some holdover knowledge from steam engine days? Wheres my dang smileys?

Last edited:
Holly crap man... lighten-up‼ You ain't been here long enough... or ya' ain't logging in often enough. The tire burnin' thing has been a standing joke 'round here since I joined over three years ago. Heck, I've even defended it... I use an old tire to get a brush fire going a couple times a year. If'n ya' chop 'em up in small pieces, feed 'em in the firebox a handful at a time, they're awesome fire starters for green wood... and they'll keep the fire goin' hot-'n'-heavy to. Ya' can also soak your green wood in used motor oil before stuffin' it in the firebox, but chunks of old tire ain't quite as messy. Besides, pourin' used motor oil over seasoned stacks is a better option, 'cause seasoned firewood soaks more of it up... and, it keeps the stacks varmint free. I do keep a squirt bottle of used motor oil down by the furnace... heck-of-a-lot more convenient than newspaper & kindlin', or rubbin' two sticks together. I just stuff some dryer lint, an old shop rag, even an old sock in between the splits, soak it real good with the used oil, toss a match on it, and slam the door... that old sock works just like a lamp wick, burns long and hot. Presto‼ Fire‼ Less time spent buildin' a fire means more time for beer drinkin' and ball scratchin'.

How do I use that last sentence for a sig...love it! That has me written all over it!

I got it...Thanks Spidey..
spidlbg.gif

Burning unseasoned wood is just plain wasteful, along with adding to environment problems, and will lead to more community rules so is irresponsible, also.

I brought a couple loads of green wood cut and split this fall into the furnace room today. Put a thermometer in and its 105 degrees at chest height. That will knock down the moisture count in that wood quick!

Latest posts

Back