Burning Willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Junkrunner

Junkrunner

ArboristSite Operative
I heated my house with almost 100% Willow for over 30 years. Near by, free, easy tow work up. I could burn many cords of willow for what it woould have cost me 150mile roundtrip to the mountains for one 3/4 cord of Tamarack.

Yes it is gofer wood. My consumption was 6-7 cord/yr (almost zero oil). this year I am burning Locust and looks like my consumption will be around 4 cords.

In an airtight it burns fine and will hold fire overnight on one chunk.

People who sneer at Willow, pine and the like are "firewood snobs" and probably live where there is an abundance of hardwoods. That type country is in the great minority over the world.

Harry K
I live in "hardwood" country. And you're right, most of these "newbie" wood burners want just oak, just hickory. Heck one fella called me wanting white oak only, and seasoned for 1 to 2 years, no more, no less. I said, yeah i got it. but he didn't like my price of 160 bucks for a half cord. My mixed price is 60 delivered. These are the people that wanta burn one-piece-at-a-time, and expect it to burn for 24 hrs.

Streblerm

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
If its free and close to home, Its a no brainer. Burn it! I would. The way I see the lesser firewoods is that at worst they have about half the BTUs per cord as the better ones. So you have to burn 2 pieces instead of just one.

Right now I am sitting in front of my stove burning silver maple, poplar and pine. My chimney isn't on fire and my house is warm. I didn't put out any cash to get the wood and it all came from within 5 miles of home.

I have honestly never burned any willow. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, but I wouldn't pass it up either.

Last edited:
mooseracing

mooseracing

ArboristSite Operative
I've used about 3 cords of it this year, they were trees I had to remove on the property and I wasn't going to bonfire them.

I know it is like paper but it has kept us warm all winter. We get about an hour or so less burn out of it, as far as the amount of good coals leftover.

8433jeff

8433jeff

Aftermarket connoisseur
Sounds a lot like boxelder down here, Woody. Damn things fall over amongst themselves, gotta clean up fence rows, trails, field roads, etc., so might as well cut it up. Takes forever to season, and when its dry it burns like paper, but its free and close to home.

turnkey4099
I've burned it before, It will feel like paper when it dries out. It won't last long, But it's free and you want to get rid of it. Just burn it. Get ready to fill the stove often and forget about it burning all night.

The willow I burn will hold fire with one piece all night and light up instantly the draft is opened in the morning.

It also does no "feel like paper" Feels about like pine (perhaps a bit lighter) or poplar.

Harry K

turnkey4099
Sounds a lot like boxelder down here, Woody. Damn things fall over amongst themselves, gotta clean up fence rows, trails, field roads, etc., so might as well cut it up. Takes forever to season, and when its dry it burns like paper, but its free and close to home.

IME it drys just as fast as pine, poplar or any of the other light woods. One season split and stacked and ready to burn.

Harry K

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
I burn it

Wood is wood comparing dry weight, not cubic volume (close enough for me anyway). Whenever I have to clean up fallen over willow, I am already there with the tractor and the cargo box, so cut to size and in the box it goes. I use it along with tulip poplar for early fall and spring wood, and mix some into the stack for fast early morning fires.

I don't waste nuthin around here. If I got to touch something for my work, I use it.

*In fact*, earlier this evening, after being warm today and letting the fire go down all it wanted to, needed to get it going again on dismal wussy coals, so I threw one piece of willow, about an 8" round chunk, nice and dry and light, on to get things going again. Whoosh, it takes off. As soon as that caught good for a few minutes, some maple went on top of that piece.

Besides, if you cut green or greenish willow and just let it stay there or drag it off someplace, it will resprout readily from everyone of those chunks. So I just burn it, I can always make my stacks bigger. More wood=better, I ain't a wood snob. A BTU is exactly the same as another BTU. You'll need a lot more willow to get the BTUs, but if it is easy pickins and you don't mind, it'll burn.

We use a heater in the living room, so I am not outside loading a boiler, and don't mind adding sticks and chunks whenever it is needed when I am just hanging out here, and we get a ton of days where you want some heat, but not a lot. Willow and poplar fit the bill there. If I got chainsaw and tractor time into it, I use it, fullstop.

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
People who sneer at Willow, pine and the like are "firewood snobs" and probably live where there is an abundance of hardwoods. That type country is in the great minority over the world.

Harry K

Or they've never been low on wood, at which point they'd have to choose to either stop being fussy or stop being warm.

I'm certainly in hardwood country, and there are obviously woods that are preferred over others. But people who cut for themselves will generally grab whatever's available. Around here people don't like to mess with pine, except for the OWB guys. But "wood is wood", it's free and it burns. If you've got to get rid of that willow, might as well get rid of it in the stove.

People that buy wood, are the ones that tend to be fussy about what they're getting. They feel like they're going to the grocery store and they can choose their favorite brand of toothpaste of whatever. I don't envy you guys who deal with these folks.

dumbarky

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
Burn it

Willow isn't the worst wood for firewood by far. It will burn and even gas. Willow is the favored wood for making charcoal for black powder. It's better than burning cardboard boxes to stay warm. Try burning Black Gum you have to boil it dry before it will burn. If you cut it bigger that your stove (furnace) door it won't split. So like I said burn it, it's still better than Black Gum.

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Willow isn't the worst wood for firewood by far. It will burn and even gas. Willow is the favored wood for making charcoal for black powder. It's better than burning cardboard boxes to stay warm. Try burning Black Gum you have to boil it dry before it will burn. If you cut it bigger that your stove (furnace) door it won't split. So like I said burn it, it's still better than Black Gum.
Tell me about it.Every couple of years I have one blow over and it may be feather light when its dry but its heavy as oak when its green.You don't split black gum either,you either saw it or crush it.
Willow,well its wood,sorta.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
wood is wood is wood

The confusion over value of wood is because we tend to think in terms of cubic volume, the cord. However, scientifically, by *weight*, wood is wood is wood. Absolute zero moisture lab grade dried wood from any species is 8660 Btu/lb. At around normal 20% moisture remaining "seasoned" wood it is therefore 6930 Btu/pound. I just looked this stuff up. By *dried weight*, ain't much difference at all by species. By *cubic volume*, sure, a difference.

So now it gets to practicality. If it is all you can get, it works fine. If you are handling it anyway, like I do sometimes, it's still fine, I have no probs stacking more, nor does it bother more to feed the stove a little more often.

What is nice about using all your easy pickins species is you can better control heat output to match your needs. I don't need to use high work on my and the machinery's part top notch hickory when it is merely 40 something out and just want a little fire. This is where the lighter *by volume* woods shine. Conversely, like in our last cold snap, I want that oak and hickory and so in in the stove once the fire is established, but I might still get it going with the willow or any other lighter chunks. And if you need a higher heat output per volume, and all you have is the lighter wood, you just split it finer and give it more air, or to mangle a saying here "tune your stove in the cut".

It all has its place. Willow is just fine if ya got it handy and have to deal with it anyway.

And frankly, being a true conservationist (as opposed to a clueless urban greenie), I simply can't waste wood and pollute and so on by discarding what is harvested or needs to be harvested and dealt with. I have yet to run a big "burn pile" here on this farm with so called "trash wood", I have no need and won't do it. Smaller branches get used to help control washes, and/or are cut small enough in the fields edges that once dried, I have no probs running over it with the bushhog, then they contribute back to soil tilth.

It, anything "it" as per cut wood I have to handle, it gets burned in the stove, or say if sections are too rotten, it gets used for berming on the hillsides to reduce erosion and to hold back soil tilth to help improve the stands (yes I drag them into position to create natural terraces), or back when the big chipper was working, branches and chunks that weren't too dirty got chipped and used for all the purposes you use wood chips for.

The Amount of Energy in Wood

G5450 Wood Fuel for Heating | University of Missouri Extension

I do wish though that this nation had a wider distribution of multi fuel electric generation facilities so that a better industry could be developed (mo job$ for us cutters and haulers and so on) to burn the grade C and D stuff, rather than running "burn piles" at random here and there that don't pay us back much if anything. Facilities that could take whole stumps, loads of branches, that sort of thing. We shouldn't be wasting all the BTUs out there that we do waste now. that's just my opinion, but like with liquid petroleum fuels, I want the next buncha generations to still have affordable access..this is why I don't run gas engine "toys", I want that fuel available for people not even born yet instead. Ya, kinda altrustic, I seem to have been inflicted with that notion since birth, so be it. I think of it as community sharing, just across time.

dumbarky

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
Tell me about it.Every couple of years I have one blow over and it may be feather light when its dry but its heavy as oak when its green.You don't split black gum either,you either saw it or crush it.
Willow,well its wood,sorta.

What is fun is getting some newbie to try and split Black Gum with a maul and setting up a near same sized round of ash right next to it. When he gives out grab the maul and whack the ash. Then when you tell them the truth you get another laugh. Round here in winter you have to look close to tell the difference. Especially if already bucked up. What part of Arky are ya from Younger. I have some Younger's for cousins.

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
What is fun is getting some newbie to try and split Black Gum with a maul and setting up a near same sized round of ash right next to it. When he gives out grab the maul and whack the ash. Then when you tell them the truth you get another laugh. Round here in winter you have to look close to tell the difference. Especially if already bucked up. What part of Arky are ya from Younger. I have some Younger's for cousins.
I have lived here in Cabot for the past 20 years but am originally from the Mtn View area.
Where bouts you at?

dumbarky

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
I have lived here in Cabot for the past 20 years but am originally from the Mtn View area.
Where bouts you at?

I'm across the White River on the Izard County side about 14-15 road miles from Guion on Hwy 58. Just between Sage and Sidney. Takes me 25 minutes to get to Guion put in and then I motor up just below Round Bottom access. Kids get out on the Island and I fish for brownies. Do you fish the White River often. I actually grew up in Mt. Pleasant.

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
I'm across the White River on the Izard County side about 14-15 road miles from Guion on Hwy 58. Just between Sage and Sidney. Takes me 25 minutes to get to Guion put in and then I motor up just below Round Bottom access. Kids get out on the Island and I fish for brownies. Do you fish the White River often. I actually grew up in Mt. Pleasant.
I have'nt lived in Mtn View since 77 when I moved to LR,then here in cabot in 89.We did some trout fishin back in the 70s but later got involved in dirt racing .5 years or so of that #### and I got fed up and went drag racin,so the fishin kinda got dropped.Lot less work tho maybe I should take it back up.
Got relation around the Guion area.I bet theres more Youngers in the Pleasant Grove phone book than the L.R. book.Used too hang out around Melborn some too.Jail mostly,LOL.

dumbarky

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
I have'nt lived in Mtn View since 77 when I moved to LR,then here in cabot in 89.We did some trout fishin back in the 70s but later got involved in dirt racing .5 years or so of that #### and I got fed up and went drag racin,so the fishin kinda got dropped.Lot less work tho maybe I should take it back up.
Got relation around the Guion area.I bet theres more Youngers in the Pleasant Grove phone book than the L.R. book.Used too hang out around Melborn some too.Jail mostly,LOL.

Let me guess Raymond Vaugh was the Sheriff

climberjones

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru
Hi,I have about 3 cords worth of willow on my land that I can cut up and split for my wood stove.This is the willow that grows in moist soils like creek banks like mine.Is it worth my time and sweat for willow?Does it burn ok?Heres a couple pics of part of it.This one was cut down at the GTG that was at my place last Oct.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Part of it landed in the creek which is about 8" wide.Them willows don't hold up too well in 50mph winds around here.The neighbor has like 5 willows that blow over that I can have if I want besides.

attachment.php
Only heat you will get from that is loading it!!!!

Latest posts