burnt motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much every old saw that comes in the shop has waste oil in the oil reservoir. The same guys that do this are the ones that take pride in bragging about grinding the rakers OFF, and how much faster it cuts without them "safety things".

Why anyone would even consider putting used motor oil in a 4,5 or 600 dollar saw or any saw for that matter is beyond me:dizzy::dizzy:. Go buy a gallon of bar oil at Tractor Supply for 6 bucks and be done.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

There's probably nothing wrong with using black, thick crank lube in a saw who's chain is dull, sagging and stretched already. Lol

Any oil is fine as long as it's clean. Hydraulic is my favourite cause it's the cheapest and is a high grade oil.

Don't be duped into the tackifier thing, it's just a sales pitch to sell bar lube.
If bar lube had any tackifiability, there'd be a 2 pound glob hanging off the tip of the bar.

Reason it out for yourself, most oil tanks are mounted below a hot muffler and once the oil is on a warm bar and chain, any tackifier is soon brought into the same viscosity of any other oil for the purpose it's intended for.

This has been hashed out many times before, however, I so happen to be right. Lol
Gypo

Used engine oil slowly accumulates a nice thick layer of sludge on the bottom of the saw tank; just like the bottom of your oil drain pan or collection tank.

My frugal uncle used discarded engine oil for a year or so. He eventually became tired of the decrease in bar life. Stretched and broken chains where not very fun either.

Save yourself the aggravation, use bar & chain oil.

waffle

so much angst over a bit of oil , you would think that all you mechanical giants would have changed the oil in your car long before it became black filthy crud carrying cancer causing muck , i would be more than a little embarrassed to be saying to the world that this is the condition of the oil you drain from your thirty thousand dollar car .
i hope you are going to mention this to prospective buyers of your cars when you get rid of them .
oil can be recycled like anything else and properly filtered thru felt will have a much cleaner color and no sludge to speak of. i also seem to remember that chain saw maintenance require regular cleaning of both oil and fuel tank . the next point is that chains are cheap as well and a lot of thin oil may lubricate as well as a little thick oil.
i also seem to remember r.ading somewhere that sawdust can cause lung cancer but then so does breathing.
if you can afford to use thirty dollars of oil on a twenty dollar chain go for it but do not talk about the high cost of used oil , i used it on the old mccullochs for thirty years with no problems as well as the 090 and 076 but i do not use it in modern plastic crap saws such as my 372 nor the 460 s or 660.

Last edited:
so much angst over a bit of oil , you would think that all you mechanical giants would have changed the oil in your car long before it became black filthy crud carrying cancer causing muck , i would be more than a little embarrassed to be saying to the world that this is the condition of the oil you drain from your thirty thousand dollar car .
i hope you are going to mention this to prospective buyers of your cars when you get rid of them .
oil can be recycled like anything else and properly filtered thru felt will have a much cleaner color and no sludge to speak of. i also seem to remember that chain saw maintenance require regular cleaning of both oil and fuel tank . the next point is that chains are cheap as well and a lot of thin oil may lubricate as well as a little thick oil.
i also seem to remember r.ading somewhere that sawdust can cause lung cancer but then so does breathing.
if you can afford to use thirty dollars of oil on a twenty dollar chain go for it but do not talk about the high cost of used oil , i used it on the old mccullochs for thirty years with no problems as well as the 090 and 076 but i do not use it in modern plastic crap saws such as my 372 nor the 460 s or 660.

I agree with you! I don't use it because it's messy and like said I can afford $6 TSC bar oil in my expensive saws. But I'm not afraid to use it at all, in fact I will be using any of the following (WD40, hair gel, dish soap, or tire shine) before I go mixing up $30 batches of Bio canola oil.

i was just askin a question guys... and playing devils advocate. besides i dont think the chain itself turns 14k. were talking about bar and chain lube. not motor oil.

fyi-- all my grandfather ever ran in his chainsaws was burnt motor oil. guess tcw3 wasnt that easy to come by here in town in the 50's and 60's.

im not going to use it cause its messy. but i think it would work in a pinch

The chain is driven directly off the crank, (unless you have a geardrive) which may be turning 14000 RPM. On a 72 DL chain with an 8 pin sprocket, you'll have a chain speed of about 1555 "RPM." Bear in mind that the linear speed of the chain will be the same as the edge of the drive sprocket, which is, in fact, moving at 14k.

Yes, it is messy. Makes me want to puke every time one comes in like that. Most of the time, the folks who run used oil are also the ones too cheap to change it in their cars. The stuff is almost always BLACK and you know it is full of carcinogens. I'd rather not get that into one of the hard-earned battle scars on my hands.

People are still doing this?! :dizzy::dizzy:

I say screw engine oil, skip the regular B&C oil and go right to biodegradable oil or straight canola!

Used engine oil..... Holy crap you've got to be kidding me.... :cry: :dizzy: :jawdrop:

Canola is the way to go, but my brother won't believe me. Talk some sense into the man!!

used oil

this is a thread that always attracts a lot of views because a lot of us have at one time or another have used old oil which is a hanging around when you need some bar oil , properly filtered it is fine and i only used the oil from my cars which have very regular oil changes along with filter so that when filtered thru felt could be mistaken for a darker new oil . the oil in my cars rarely goes opaque until i have done a 1000k or more (not black).it is the carbon and impurities in the oil that cause wear so if your used oil is that filthy you definitely need to revise your servicing (diesel oil is another thing , too yucky). i often wonder if the problem with oiler is more related to sawdust etc getting in the oil tank and jamming pumps . also i have just repaired two husky 365's that had canola oil thru them which set like glue after a while and chewed up the screw drives.

ps the saws had been left after some hot cutting and not used for 8 months

Last edited:
why not use it? it should lube the bar and chain okay, plus its free.

i guess the downside is, its dirty. might have metal fragments or dirt inside, but if i strain it it should be okay

i use straight 30 bar oil now (all i had in garage). works good.

Are you saying you use new 30W oil too? If so you can find bar oil by the
gallon for less than 30W motor oil. I don't use enough to worry about spend
a few bucks on decent bar oil usually from Tractor Supply. Our county will
take all the used motor oil and antifreeze you can bring them.

Used motor oil is pretty standard around here, haven't had any issues. On the other hand, if you're just cutting firewood or going to the GTG thingies, spend the money and buy the real deal. We just run it because of the sheer volume we go through in a day. PS- when it starts to get over about 80 out, we buy the real stuff. - Sam

i have just repaired two husky 365's that had canola oil thru them which set like glue after a while and chewed up the screw drives.

ps the saws had been left after some hot cutting and not used for 8 months

I have heard of some veggie oils gumming up but not canola. Last summer (8-15-09) I emptied the oil out of 2 saws .One with straight canola and the other a 50/50 canola bar mix. Put the oils in 2 open containers in the garage covered by a paper towel to keep out the dust. Both oils look the same as last summer.

I can't seem to find it right now but I used to have a picture of a saw that had used motor oil run in the bar and chain tank. It looked like a bomb went off under the clutch.

Back