Busted the 025. How to replace the brake handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viper65

Reaction score
Well crud.

Went out to Wallace Idaho the other day.. Had 4 guys on 4 quads that went. 4 saws too... Had a Guy on a Honda with a Homelite, guy on a Suzuki with a Husky 345?, a guy on a Can Am with a Poulan, and me on my Polaris with my Stihl 025..

Everything was going well.. I fired up the 025 and she bogged down a bit, i think I had some bad gas in the carb, dunno, may not have been warmed up enuf. It would run then lose power. After it was hot it would run fine..

Well I cut down a tree across the trail, shut it off and set it down behind me. The ground was icy so I lost my balance and stepped back...

Right on top of the saw...:censored: Well i broke the brake handle. THe handle that controls the sw if it kicks back it engages the brake. When i stepped on it it locked the brake so my saw was done for the day..

Happy, I was not... After that everything fell to pieces. The quad overheated, got ice stuck in the radaiator fan, 4x4 hilliard locked in wouldnt come out. Sliced a tire.. Went across a bridge ( made from big logs with about 4 ft of snow on it) Quad fell thru to the bottom. Had to winch out...(pic 755 was the bridge where i fell thru.)

It was a bad day.. But hey got some trees cleared.. LOL

So I tore down the 025 and noticed you have to take off the plate to access the back of the handle. (Pic 784) I took the plate off and saw there is a spring that needs to come off, plus a linkage and another linkage under that. Should the handle slide out from there? I already took the handle off from the pull cord side.

Am i close to being correct on this. How hard is the handle to replace? Im not hot on spending a $50 spot to replace a handle for labor plus the 20 for the handle.

Heres some pics of the day. We ended up going 68 miles. IT was pretty fun all in all..

Thanks so much for the help guys. It is appreciated..

Viper

Last edited:
first of all, you have some nice pics. I have an 025, the last time i replaced my handle was a while ago, i'm pretty sure you just have to take off that spring, maybe that E clip, and you should be able to get the old peice out of there and get the new one in.

Latest posts

Back