Buy the MS 290 or spend the extra money for the more powerful .........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now let me get this straight, Murph suggested you get a 261 because he is very knowledgable.

You bought the 362 against his reccomendations

The next day you go back and he swaps with you to save your buyer's remorse

Murph appears to be a very stand up guy although I have never met him :msp_thumbup:

You'll be a happy man with either. I am surprised a 346 isn't in your future, I predicted that.

Yes, He bailed me out !! The 261 is lighter and seems to be a good choice for porting....
.......BUT I WANT a 362 sometime !!

The 346 would be my choice, but I have a GOOD Stihl dealer about 5 min from my house. The service guy will even come to my house if I want him to.....Also, I already have a good strong Husky 51 which I like very much.....

.....STihl MS362 coming !!!!
.....and maybe a "CAD" Husky if a deal comes along.....

......PS....Murph didn't help me with that big Oak today.....he should be ashamed of himself!

Yes, He bailed me out !! The 261 is lighter and seems to be a good choice for porting....
.......BUT I WANT a 362 sometime !!

The 346 would be my choice, but I have a GOOD Stihl dealer about 5 min from my house. The service guy will even come to my house if I want him to.....Also, I already have a good strong Husky 51 which I like very much.....

.....STihl MS362 coming !!!!
.....and maybe a "CAD" Husky if a deal comes along.....

......PS....Murph didn't help me with that big Oak today.....he should be ashamed of himself!

If you Think you want a 362, what you REALLY want is a 440. Or a 441cm. Or a 461.

Or If You Only Knew It, a 372. Or its pretty sister.

Grin the 261 and the 362 are pretty close to each other since your getting your MS 261 ported; I would be looking at a 461 (whoops I already did that) :msp_wink:

JMO

If you Think you want a 362, what you REALLY want is a 440. Or a 441cm. Or a 461.

Or If You Only Knew It, a 372. Or its pretty sister.

I can't explain why.......but the 440/460s don't lite my fires.....and neither does the 346....
.......BUT a ported 372 REALLY DOES !!....But That selfish Murph won't sell me his.....
That's the one I wanted the first time I went to see him....If he would have sold me that one.
I wouldn't be going thru all this indecision and confusion....IT'S ALL HIS FAULT !!

And Just remember, I'm 66....5'6"....170lbs and full of stainless and titanium from a serious motorcycle accident.
It almost killed me and I was 62 at the time....a helicopter lift to a trauma unit is all that saved my life.....
All this as a reminder.....no more big saws for me....that 13lb. PHO is about max for me now.....and 20" bar.

Grin the 261 and the 362 are pretty close to each other since your getting your MS 261 ported; I would be looking at a 461 (whoops I already did that) :msp_wink:

JMO

I think Andy got a saw that will suit his uses well, especially ported. He doesn't limb much, so the weight and handling isn't as important, and there really isn't a good Husky dealer close by (I don't count).

I think Andy got a saw that will suit his uses well, especially ported. He doesn't limb much, so the weight and handling isn't as important, and there really isn't a good Husky dealer close by (I don't count).

I'm glad he got the MS 261 then :msp_wink:

JMO

I say you won't notice the difference in weight between a 362 and a 372, when they're in the wood. Go with the 372, you'll be "GRIN"in'!

I say you won't notice the difference in weight between a 362 and a 372, when they're in the wood. Go with the 372, you'll be "GRIN"in'!

I would have gone with the 372...It was my first choice.
.....But that selfish Murph wouldn't sell it to me.....

I ran a whole yard full of saws and said ...."I want that ported 372"
Then I hear..."OH NO, that one's not for sale !!"

BUT......261 = "GRININ" "

Hey, make sure you get the 6-pak of HP Ultra when you pay for the saw- Stihl will extend your warranty out to two years. You should be running HP Ultra anyway, the warranty is just gravy. Congrats on a new 261, you'll LOVE it.

Hey, make sure you get the 6-pak of HP Ultra when you pay for the saw- Stihl will extend your warranty out to two years. You should be running HP Ultra anyway, the warranty is just gravy. Congrats on a new 261, you'll LOVE it.

The saw is used so no warrenty. End of marketing comercial!

It is just incredible how people can be guided into certain directions by the advertisement industry. Don't want to make this into an oil thread but any full synthetic two stroke oil for air cooled engines with the qualifications API TC, JASO FC/FD, TISI, ISO L-EGD is going to be more than sufficient!

Stihl HP Ultra is only JASO-FB, ISO-L-EGB. Zweitaktmotorenöl HP Ultra - Exzellente Schmierleistung, exzellente Sauberkeit und exzellenter Schutz

Stihl HP Super has a higher specification :laugh: JASO-FD, ISO-L-EGD Zweitaktmotorenöl HP Super - Hervorragende Schmierfähigkeit mit einer besonders sauberen Verbrennung

Last edited:
Update.....

First, remember that all this confusion and indecision is ALL MURPHs FAULT... for not selling me the ported 372 in the first place !!
That was very SELFISH and inconsiderate of him, and look what he's put me through !!

Withour going through all the events, timing and confusion, Lets just say that my dealer knew I wanted to trade my 250 on something in the pro line with more power. They also knew I had a "weakness" for the 362....(wonder how they knew that!)...
Well, it seems a local pro was wanting "all the 250s he could get for cleanup on his trip to work in the Storm Sandy aftermath"...

So my dealer just Sold my 250 right out from under me!!.....then called me to bring it in....It was such a deal, I jumped right on it and got very close to all my money back....

Now here's the proof that I'm old and stupid.....I WALKED OUT RIGHT THEN WITH A BRAN NEW 362!!...20" bar and the yellow RSF chain...

So now I have both a Murph 261 AND a bran' new 362.....how's that for boneheaded.....??

OK, Now I'm ready to take my ribbin'......

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

As many have already said here it will be too close to the 261 to make you really happy! Think 441 that will make you happy! And tell your dealer that you are returning the 362 to get the 441 with the autotune function as soon as it's available in your area. In the meantime you will just make do with the 261 you have.

And when you wake up, after I snape my fingers, you will remember my words deep down and do as you are told. :yoyo:

....And I also bought a new 18" Rollomatic E bar and a new RSC chain for the used "Murph Machine" 261.....

After a short trial with both saws, I'm very happy with both!!

I went from airplanes and boats to Motorcycles, chain saws and a Dune Buggy......chain saw are CHEAP!!
When the new 441 (or 460) or comes out, maybe I'll buy one.....for now, I'm happy to compare 261 vs 362.
Later, I'll get the 261 ported.....then even later maybe get the 362 ported.....
we'll see :popcorn:

I also REALLY want to thank everyone for being so generous in helping me SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY !!

....and i also bought a new 18" rollomatic e bar and a new rsc chain for the used "murph machine" 261.....

After a short trial with both saws, i'm very happy with both!!

I went from airplanes and boats to motorcycles, chain saws and a dune buggy......chain saw are cheap!!
When the new 441 (or 460) or comes out, maybe i'll buy one.....for now, i'm happy to compare 261 vs 362.
Later, i'll get the 261 ported.....then even later maybe get the 362 ported.....
We'll see :popcorn:

I also really want to thank everyone for being so generous in helping me spend too much money !!

372 ex-pee

That's gettin there, not much further to go! Now, just send that 261 off to be ported and you will know what a mistake you made in getting the 362!!!

.....They gave me such a good deal.....I just couldn't help myself !!
And I think that 13lbs is about my old age limit...But you know, I'll have to check out the new 441....:popcorn:

Now hurry and help me with that tree.....It's gonna whip you good...:msp_biggrin:

Ol' Grits

Back